igor

Default what can I expect from a "good" lumberyard?

I'm preparing for my first real kitchen cabinet project - big kitchen.
(mine) Cabs will have face frames. Flat panel doors with no edge
detailing. Using biscuits for the frames. Having lurked here on and off
for years, I think I have a good sense of the benefits of having a planer.
And a joiner. I'd like to avoid buying either, but if I have to bite the
bullet, I will.

Questions: If I go to a "good" lumberyard, is it fair to expect that the 1x
oak will be uniform enough so that my face and door frames will be doable?
What about the edges when I have to glue-up 2 1x6s for some drawer fronts?
Is there a spec/standard to ask for?

I am near Washington, DC. As far as I know, there are no real mills in the
immediate area -- they order-in. Would it make a difference if I ordered
everything at once -- i.e., maybe it would all run through a single run at
the mill? That seems good, but a downside is that I would not be able to
pick through a larger lot.

In short, I'm willing to pay more for wood that is uniform versus DIY, but
is it likely that even a bit paying more I will get uniform-enough stock?
TIA. -- Igor

Edwin Pawlowski

"igor" wrote in message

Questions: If I go to a "good" lumberyard, is it fair to expect that the

1x
oak will be uniform enough so that my face and door frames will be doable?

Maybe. And if they are stocking planed 1 x material, it will be very high
priced compared to rough cut lumber. OK when you need one board, expensive
when you are doing a kitchen.

What about the edges when I have to glue-up 2 1x6s for some drawer fronts?
Is there a spec/standard to ask for?

Not that I know of. In most cases you can get a good edge running it
through the tablesaw with a very good blade. Not the cheap rip or combo
blade that came with the saw.

I am near Washington, DC. As far as I know, there are no real mills in the
immediate area -- they order-in. Would it make a difference if I ordered
everything at once -- i.e., maybe it would all run through a single run at
the mill?

That may be possible. Why not see if there are mills around that will do it
for you? It will be worth a ride for the right price and the right
material. Reputable businesses won't try to slip in crap. In any case,
there will be waste anyway.

In short, I'm willing to pay more for wood that is uniform versus DIY, but
is it likely that even a bit paying more I will get uniform-enough stock?
TIA. -- Igor

Check for hardwood dealers in the surrounding area. The place I buy from
will thickness and give me a straight edge at no extra cost. I've lived
without a jointer so far and don't have to use the planer all that often.
Perhaps a cabinet shop in the area will get the wood for you at reasonable
cost.

Many lumber yards are just that; lumber for construction. Anything else is
special order at very high prices. You need a good hardwood dealer.
--
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Stephen M

BTDT w/ maple.

IMHO, the cost/quality difference of rough-cut lumber will justify equipment
purchase of a jointer and planer.

First go to a hardwood supplier, not a lumber yard for your stock. Fo my
mid-sized kitchen, I used sheet stock for the carcases, pannels and drawer
bottoms and solids for the face frames and drawers. I think I spent about
600 each on HW and ply, and a few hundred on hardware (knobs, drawer slides
etc.)

My guess is that you could come close to breaking even on the purchase of
jointer and planer (about $800 combined). You will have *much* better stock
if you joint and plane it yourself because you can arange you work such that
it is used before it moves (warps).

They you have tools at the end of the process :-)

-Steve

"igor" wrote in message
[...]

igor

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 21:47:55 -0400, "Sam the Cat"
wrote:

Igor,
Try Exotic Lumber in Gaithersburg -- they will mill to your order
Eric

Eric --

Thanks. I'll give them a try. To help me avoid sticker shock potential,
or brace me for it, are their prices so high that I'll rethink getting a
planer or (by whatever standard you might have) are they reasonable? Any
other suggestions about working with them -- such as a good contact?
Again, thanks.

-- Igor