Sam the Cat

Default what can I expect from a "good" lumberyard?

Igor,
Try Exotic Lumber in Gaithersburg -- they will mill to your order
Eric

"igor" wrote in message
I'm preparing for my first real kitchen cabinet project - big kitchen.
(mine) Cabs will have face frames. Flat panel doors with no edge
detailing. Using biscuits for the frames. Having lurked here on and off
for years, I think I have a good sense of the benefits of having a planer.
And a joiner. I'd like to avoid buying either, but if I have to bite the
bullet, I will.

Questions: If I go to a "good" lumberyard, is it fair to expect that the

1x
oak will be uniform enough so that my face and door frames will be doable?
What about the edges when I have to glue-up 2 1x6s for some drawer fronts?
Is there a spec/standard to ask for?

I am near Washington, DC. As far as I know, there are no real mills in the
immediate area -- they order-in. Would it make a difference if I ordered
everything at once -- i.e., maybe it would all run through a single run at
the mill? That seems good, but a downside is that I would not be able to
pick through a larger lot.

In short, I'm willing to pay more for wood that is uniform versus DIY, but
is it likely that even a bit paying more I will get uniform-enough stock?
TIA. -- Igor