Edwin Pawlowski

Default what can I expect from a "good" lumberyard?

"igor" wrote in message

Questions: If I go to a "good" lumberyard, is it fair to expect that the

1x
oak will be uniform enough so that my face and door frames will be doable?

Maybe. And if they are stocking planed 1 x material, it will be very high
priced compared to rough cut lumber. OK when you need one board, expensive
when you are doing a kitchen.

What about the edges when I have to glue-up 2 1x6s for some drawer fronts?
Is there a spec/standard to ask for?

Not that I know of. In most cases you can get a good edge running it
through the tablesaw with a very good blade. Not the cheap rip or combo
blade that came with the saw.

I am near Washington, DC. As far as I know, there are no real mills in the
immediate area -- they order-in. Would it make a difference if I ordered
everything at once -- i.e., maybe it would all run through a single run at
the mill?

That may be possible. Why not see if there are mills around that will do it
for you? It will be worth a ride for the right price and the right
material. Reputable businesses won't try to slip in crap. In any case,
there will be waste anyway.

In short, I'm willing to pay more for wood that is uniform versus DIY, but
is it likely that even a bit paying more I will get uniform-enough stock?
TIA. -- Igor

Check for hardwood dealers in the surrounding area. The place I buy from
will thickness and give me a straight edge at no extra cost. I've lived
without a jointer so far and don't have to use the planer all that often.
Perhaps a cabinet shop in the area will get the wood for you at reasonable
cost.

Many lumber yards are just that; lumber for construction. Anything else is
special order at very high prices. You need a good hardwood dealer.
--
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome