Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wood router duty cycle?

RCM only

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 07:32:16 -0500, Ignoramus12820
wrote:

I am considering to use a Bosch Colt wood "palm router" (or even a
bigger wood router) as a high speed spindle for milling small detail
on my CNC mill.

Kind of like this:

http://www.cnccookbook.com/img/Other...Manifold_1.jpg

What kind of coolant do you suppose they use for birch plywood?
silly grinne

When I talked about it somewhere, somebody said that it cannot survive
this for long due to poor cooling, and that it will never have the
duty cycle as needed on a CNC machine.

Googled "bosch colt cnc" for 1.4million hits.

For me, say, 4 minutes on/6 minutes off would probably work out okay,
as the speed of the cutter enables me to complete typical milling jobs
quickly.

But still, the duty cycle question is important.

So: what do you think is the duty cycle on these and how much could
they take before they overheat?

One nice thing about working wood with powah tools is that you clean
it up immediately. Your dust collector is sucking in hundreds of CFM
right next to the router, so it is getting a hefty, cooling breeze by
it at all times. I understand that the Colt is one of the most used
routers on CNC tables.

I should have more info in a couple weeks after my new book comes. In
the interim, ask Bosch themselves. (googlit)

--
We're all here because we're not all there.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am considering to use a Bosch Colt wood "palm router" (or even a
bigger wood router) as a high speed spindle for milling small detail
on my CNC mill.

Kind of like this:

http://www.cnccookbook.com/img/Other...Manifold_1.jpg

What kind of coolant do you suppose they use for birch plywood?
silly grinne

I suspect an 80/20 nitrogen/oxygen blend or thereabouts...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

@90psi. Got it.

--
We're all here because we're not all there.