Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New Shop

They'll be breaking ground on our new addition behind the house in a
day or so. Part of it will be a small shop for me, 15' x 22'. The
rest is living quarters for our 28 yr. old handicapped son. It'll
give him a greater sense of independence while we wait out the 10 yr.
or so waiting list for him to get the services he needs to live
elsewhere.

I'm looking forward to having a place to work. It'll be air
conditioned, which is pretty much a requirement here in central Texas.
Lately we've been right around 100 F, dewpoint high 60's. Pretty
warm. Still, it's not as bad as where I grew up on the coast. I was
down there re-doing the boat trailer. Dewpoints have been 79 lately.
If you're outside, you're drenched.

I'm getting ready by building new storage shelves in the garage and
re-assembling the stuff I pulled out of the basement in Michigan. I
do any heavy work before lunch, because the afternoons are a little
too hot with the western exposure of the garage.

As a matter of fact, I'm stopping this now to go sand and paint the
new storage shelves. More later.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 08:04:57 -0500, Pete Keillor
wrote:

[...]

Old tromping grounds, mind narrowing it closer than just central Tx.?
Austin, S.A., hill country? That's where I wanted to move, but there
would have been NO help building.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Between Georgetown and Liberty Hill. We can see the S. Fork of the
San Gabriel. It's a gated community with a POA, but they were very
reasonable, considering. The county health dept. required more
negotiating.

Pete
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yeap, that's a good place, you'll get use to the heat of the summers.

The only time I was in that almost exact area was a Halloween party
back around 1998. Sis said lets go and as soon as she started the car
about 8 cop cars showed up and started running to the house. Perfect
timing !

Enjoy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete Keillor wrote:

They'll be breaking ground on our new addition behind the house in a
day or so. Part of it will be a small shop for me, 15' x 22'. The
rest is living quarters for our 28 yr. old handicapped son. It'll
give him a greater sense of independence while we wait out the 10 yr.
or so waiting list for him to get the services he needs to live
elsewhere.

Do you mind explaining why it takes 10 years? Fwikt, if I was crippled today, after
paying in to ss since I was 14 or so, it would take 2 years to get paid for benefits.
Likely I'd have to pay a lawyer. I've seen this happen to productive people that got hurt
or had health issues, I'm not talking about gamers or slackers.

I'm looking forward to having a place to work. It'll be air
conditioned, which is pretty much a requirement here in central Texas.
Lately we've been right around 100 F, dewpoint high 60's. Pretty
warm. Still, it's not as bad as where I grew up on the coast. I was
down there re-doing the boat trailer. Dewpoints have been 79 lately.
If you're outside, you're drenched.

I was in Texas once, starting a week before McViegh did his dirty deed, a little bicycle
trip from pecos down to the rio grande though Big Bend National Park and back.

Texas was hot in April. I'd not like trying Summer.

I'm getting ready by building new storage shelves in the garage and
re-assembling the stuff I pulled out of the basement in Michigan. I
do any heavy work before lunch, because the afternoons are a little
too hot with the western exposure of the garage.

No chit this time of year.

As a matter of fact, I'm stopping this now to go sand and paint the
new storage shelves. More later.

Enjoy retirement, you worked and paid for it.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 18:49:37 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Pete Keillor wrote:

They'll be breaking ground on our new addition behind the house in a
day or so. Part of it will be a small shop for me, 15' x 22'. The
rest is living quarters for our 28 yr. old handicapped son. It'll
give him a greater sense of independence while we wait out the 10 yr.
or so waiting list for him to get the services he needs to live
elsewhere.

Do you mind explaining why it takes 10 years? Fwikt, if I was crippled today, after
paying in to ss since I was 14 or so, it would take 2 years to get paid for benefits.
Likely I'd have to pay a lawyer. I've seen this happen to productive people that got hurt
or had health issues, I'm not talking about gamers or slackers.

This is Texas. The waiting list for HCS services (in home help so
many hours a month for those qualifying (needing it)) is about 9-10
years in Texas. This ranks 48th or so out of the 50 states. And with
the current budget troubles, a lot of the services waiting lists are
actually backtracking. David had these services in Michigan, but
Texas is home. We'll make it work.

[...]

Thanks.

Pete
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Be sure and pay attention to that HOA, and be involved in elections of
officers. things can change.