Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - toy and fun money

All work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy.

So, the bills got to be paid. The church tithes and offerings. The
electric, rent, etc. But, that gets boring in a hurry. How much to
spend on fun? Does anyone have a formula? Percentage, or what?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 4, 11:06*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
All work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy.

So, the bills got to be paid. The church tithes and offerings. The
electric, rent, etc. But, that gets boring in a hurry. How much to
spend on fun? Does anyone have a formula? Percentage, or what?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

If I still want the item after a year I might buy it, preferably on
sale like the Enco bore gages. Then again if I ask for opinions
someone may sell one cheap or give me a broken one, like the pressure
washer and generator I just fixed, or my HDTV-recording computer,
tractor and logsplitter. The trick is estimating the repairs on
sight.

This applies to hobby or other non-critical equipment, not things I
depend on.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:
All work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy.

So, the bills got to be paid. The church tithes and offerings. The
electric, rent, etc. But, that gets boring in a hurry. How much to
spend on fun? Does anyone have a formula? Percentage, or what?

Been there, done that.

Keey your tithes and offerings and spend Sunday
in the shop making things. IMHO God won't mind.

"One path to insight is to have a religious
conversion and then get over it." -Margaret Mead

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:
All work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy.

So, the bills got to be paid. The church tithes and offerings. The
electric, rent, etc. But, that gets boring in a hurry. How much to
spend on fun? Does anyone have a formula? Percentage, or what?

Two words "Separate accounts"
My wife makes her money and keeps it in her own accounts.
Same for me.
Common expenses are covered by a household account that we both deposit
to equally.

I buy guns, cars, machine tools.
She buys a new car regularly and cat stuff. She has more left over and
no storage issues (except for cat poop). hmmmm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It's my experience, that missing a Sunday at church has a lot of bad
effects.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim Stewart"
wrote in message ...

Been there, done that.

Keey your tithes and offerings and spend Sunday
in the shop making things. IMHO God won't mind.

"One path to insight is to have a religious
conversion and then get over it." -Margaret Mead

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:
It's my experience, that missing a Sunday at church has a lot of bad
effects.

Well, I may not agree with the catechism, but I sure agree with the statement.

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:
It's my experience, that missing a Sunday at church has a lot of bad
effects.

Are you willing to be more specific? Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 19:56:51 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

It's my experience, that missing a Sunday at church has a lot of bad
effects.

Indeed it does.

However...I rather suspect we have far far far different interpretations
of what "church" is.

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yes, I am.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
It's my experience, that missing a Sunday at church has a lot of bad
effects.

Are you willing to be more specific? Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

All work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy.

So, the bills got to be paid. The church tithes and offerings. The
electric, rent, etc. But, that gets boring in a hurry. How much to
spend on fun? Does anyone have a formula? Percentage, or what?

Is that the single guy formula or married with children one?

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Thu, 05 Aug 2010 20:25:31 -0700
wrote:

It's my experience, that missing a Sunday at church has a lot of bad
effects.

Indeed it does.

However...I rather suspect we have far far far different interpretations
of what "church" is.

I am reminded of the story of the student at Oxford, back in the
day when chapel was mandatory, who argue that he should be exempt, as
he was a sun worshiper. He was duly excused, but the next morning, at
the crack of dawn, he was awaken and informed "The Sun has risen."

Snerk.

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes on Fri, 06 Aug 2010 17:41:35 -0400
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

All work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy.

So, the bills got to be paid. The church tithes and offerings. The
electric, rent, etc. But, that gets boring in a hurry. How much to
spend on fun? Does anyone have a formula? Percentage, or what?

Is that the single guy formula or married with children one?

After the bills, and the savings, and the mad money, what ever
else is "yours". Unless you have a girlfriend or spouse.

Wes

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

It's my experience, that missing a Sunday at church has a lot of bad
effects.

Indeed it does.

However...I rather suspect we have far far far different interpretations
of what "church" is.

I am reminded of the story of the student at Oxford, back in the
day when chapel was mandatory, who argue that he should be exempt, as
he was a sun worshiper. He was duly excused, but the next morning, at
the crack of dawn, he was awaken and informed "The Sun has risen."

Snerk.

Indeed. However its well known that Im a Bishop in the Church of John
Moses Browning.

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Sat, 07 Aug 2010 00:38:16 -0700

wrote:

It's my experience, that missing a Sunday at church has a lot of bad
effects.

Indeed it does.

However...I rather suspect we have far far far different interpretations
of what "church" is.

I am reminded of the story of the student at Oxford, back in the
day when chapel was mandatory, who argue that he should be exempt, as
he was a sun worshiper. He was duly excused, but the next morning, at
the crack of dawn, he was awaken and informed "The Sun has risen."

Snerk.

Indeed. However its well known that Im a Bishop in the Church of John
Moses Browning.

Hmmm "The Range is open, sir."

pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 6, 7:32*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Yes, I am.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon wrote:
It's my experience, that missing a Sunday at church has a lot of bad
effects.

Are you willing to be more specific? *Bob

Please, fill us in on a few bad effects you've experienced by missing
a Sunday at church.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 5, 4:18*pm, RBnDFW wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
All work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy.

So, the bills got to be paid. The church tithes and offerings. The
electric, rent, etc. But, that gets boring in a hurry. How much to
spend on fun? Does anyone have a formula? Percentage, or what?

Two words "Separate accounts"
My wife makes her money and keeps it in her own accounts.
Same for me.
Common expenses are covered by a household account that we both deposit
to equally.

I buy guns, cars, machine tools.
She buys a new car regularly and cat stuff. *She has more left over and
no storage issues (except for cat poop). hmmmm

That sounds more like roommates than husband and wife,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-07, rangerssuck wrote:
On Aug 5, 4:18?pm, RBnDFW wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
All work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy.

So, the bills got to be paid. The church tithes and offerings. The
electric, rent, etc. But, that gets boring in a hurry. How much to
spend on fun? Does anyone have a formula? Percentage, or what?

Two words "Separate accounts"
My wife makes her money and keeps it in her own accounts.
Same for me.
Common expenses are covered by a household account that we both deposit
to equally.

I buy guns, cars, machine tools.
She buys a new car regularly and cat stuff. ?She has more left over and
no storage issues (except for cat poop). hmmmm

That sounds more like roommates than husband and wife,

Different things work for different people.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 12:23:15 -0500, Ignoramus14749

On 2010-08-07, rangerssuck wrote:
On Aug 5, 4:18?pm, RBnDFW wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
All work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy.

So, the bills got to be paid. The church tithes and offerings. The
electric, rent, etc. But, that gets boring in a hurry. How much to
spend on fun? Does anyone have a formula? Percentage, or what?

Two words "Separate accounts"
My wife makes her money and keeps it in her own accounts.
Same for me.
Common expenses are covered by a household account that we both deposit
to equally.

I buy guns, cars, machine tools.
She buys a new car regularly and cat stuff. ?She has more left over and
no storage issues (except for cat poop). hmmmm

That sounds more like roommates than husband and wife,

Different things work for different people.

Indeed they do. Ozzy and Harriet are only one type of relationship.

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rangerssuck wrote:
On Aug 5, 4:18 pm, RBnDFW wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
All work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy.
So, the bills got to be paid. The church tithes and offerings. The
electric, rent, etc. But, that gets boring in a hurry. How much to
spend on fun? Does anyone have a formula? Percentage, or what?

Two words "Separate accounts"
My wife makes her money and keeps it in her own accounts.
Same for me.
Common expenses are covered by a household account that we both deposit
to equally.

I buy guns, cars, machine tools.
She buys a new car regularly and cat stuff. She has more left over and
no storage issues (except for cat poop). hmmmm

That sounds more like roommates than husband and wife,

I've heard many times that money is the #1 cause of discord in a
marriage. Looking back at my first marriage many of the hard feelings we
had started with the allocation of money. Seems we always had funds for
things she wanted to do, but never for my interests, even though I was
far the primary, and often the only, breadwinner.
So 2nd time around kids are grown, I make good money, 2nd wife makes
good money. We have more than we need to get by. We have a great
relationship, still in love after 13 years, expect to grow old together.
Oh, and money is a non-issue. I'm joint on her accounts and she on mine,
but I don't really know what her balances are unless I ask. Don't care.
So yea, we're room-mates, and a lot more.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rangerssuck wrote:
That sounds more like roommates than husband and wife,

What's important is not whether the arrangement conforms to your, or
anybody else's, idea of what it should be, but whether it WORKS.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 12:45:49 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

rangerssuck wrote:
That sounds more like roommates than husband and wife,

What's important is not whether the arrangement conforms to your, or
anybody else's, idea of what it should be, but whether it WORKS.

Bob

Indeed!

I know of a lady..a bank president in fact..who has two "husbands".

And they live in the same very nice house and have for hummm...20 or
more years. One is a college prof, the other is a doctor of some sort.

Not exactly a "traditional" marriage, but one that has stood the test of
time.

I had two "wives" for well over 5 yrs, one lady left, only because her
mother became very ill and needed someone to take care of her.

Shrug