Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tight nuts

Harbor Freight has been advertising such a tool, but for car and light
truck lugs. I think it's a good idea. I havn't bought one, nor used
one.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Dennis" wrote in message
. au...
The jarring when the nuts let go when I change a truck tyre is
starting to
hurt too much. I usually use a 3/4 drive T bar with a 36" cheater pipe
slid
onto it.

Has anyone used one of these torque multiplier units as shown at the
link
below?

http://finchindustries.com.au/index.cfm/nutcracker/

The video is kind of lame but it seems to show the unit working.
Without
having seen a unit in the hand, it seems that the leg sticking out the
side
that takes the full "reaction" torque looks a little weak.

cheers

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Harbor Freight has been advertising such a tool, but for car and light
truck lugs. I think it's a good idea. I havn't bought one, nor used
one.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Yeah, I've seen the one for cars, its got a reduction ratio of around 1:4.
The truck one had a ration of 1:50 or so.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" fired this volley in
:

The video is kind of lame but it seems to show the unit working.
Without
having seen a unit in the hand, it seems that the leg sticking out the
side
that takes the full "reaction" torque looks a little weak.

Yeah... at 3687ft.lb. (max), that little cast leg seems a bit light.

The other thing -- you probably wouldn't need it, but to get full output
from it you'll need to apply roughly 80lbf to the handle. I'm not sure
"women and children" (as advertised) would actually be able to do that.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dennis" fired this volley in
. au:

The truck one had a ration of 1:50 or so.

68:1 is what's stated. That still means about 80lbf to the handle to get
the full 3687ft.lb. torque out of it -- not that you'd ever need that much.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

The other thing -- you probably wouldn't need it, but to get full output
from it you'll need to apply roughly 80lbf to the handle. I'm not sure
"women and children" (as advertised) would actually be able to do that.

True enough -- but how often have you encountered lug nuts tightened to over
3600 ft-lbs? IME, even the most aggressive tire stores don't go beyond 200
(and I call them up and complain when I find that!). With a reduction ratio of
68:1, it requires only about 3 ft-lbs on the handle to produce 200 at the nut,
easily achieved by any child old enough to walk.

Leverage *is* impressive. I remember pulling old wooden fence posts with a
chain and a bumper jack -- and how much fun my then 4-year-old son had helping
me. I'd wrap the chain around the post and hook the jack into it, then have
him jack the post out of the ground. It was, quite literally, child's play.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

fired this volley in
. au:

The truck one had a ration of 1:50 or so.

68:1 is what's stated. That still means about 80lbf to the handle to get
the full 3687ft.lb. torque out of it -- not that you'd ever need that much.

If Dennis is changing enough truck tires for the pain in changing them
to be an issue, it's probably time to look into a 1" impact wrench and
enough compressor to drive it.

The HF 20 buck job has two reviews on the HF site--both say that it
broke right quick, OTOH, somebody on the Subaru forum says his has
worked OK for one tire change.

The usual suspects (McMaster, MSC, Grainger, etc) have good ones from
Proto and a few other companies for $1000-10,000--those have nowhere
near the gear ratio of the "nut cracker" and have sacrificial
drives--the square drive is designed to bust to save the gears. A
replacement square drive for one of those costs about the same as the
"nut cracker". Note that they have 1" or 1-1/2" output drives so you
need the matching sockets.

An outfit called "TIA products" has one with a 12:1 ratio intended
specifically for truck, bus, RV, etc tires for about 600 bucks--a number
of people in various RV forums have them and seem to be happy with them.

The ones going for around 200 bucks with a 68:1 or so ratio seem to be
made by Liaoyang Zhonglian Pharmaceutical Machinery Co--they list a
number of models, quantity 100 minimum order. Whether those are any
good or not I have no idea--obviously one of them worked once for the
video. Personally if I was taking truck wheels off for a living I'd be
tempted to give one a try just because it has a higher gear ratio than
the expensive ones.

There's another type, with a lower gear ratio and a long handle that
needs a pipe or the ground or a jack stand or whatever to brace it
instead of an adjacent lug nut--they price on those from all sources is
around 200 bucks (Harbor Freight wants about the same as McMaster) but
you may need to stack two of them to get a lug nut off of a truck.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dennis" fired this volley in
. au:

Any how-to's suggest
that everyone uses a torque wrench to set their wheel nuts. I've never
seen anyone use one on wheel nuts, but maybe that says more about the
people I associate with.....

Done right, that is how you do it. Our local "Discount Tire" place sets
their impact wrenches below minimum torque for tightening, then uses a
torque wrench on every nut. It's not just "practice", it's their policy.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.commercialetieger.it/sweeney1.pdf

Been around a long time. Have heard fellow workers say many a time,"What
a*****e tightened this with a Sweeney?".

Garrett Fulton

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Maybe pushing down. But pulling up? Maybe not.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

. 3.70...