Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Favorite home TIG welder?

I have a 900 lb TIG welder in my shop building 5 miles away and am
considering getting rid of it to buy one I can move without a forklift. I
learned here that the little 120V Lincolns were a favorite for auto body,
any favorite TIG welders for general purpose, maybe auto, home shop, and
aluminum welding? I'm mainly interested in doing light gauge welding but it
would be nice if it was capable of maybe up to 3/16"-1/4" aluminum.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RogerN wrote:

I have a 900 lb TIG welder in my shop building 5 miles away and am
considering getting rid of it to buy one I can move without a forklift. I
learned here that the little 120V Lincolns were a favorite for auto body,
any favorite TIG welders for general purpose, maybe auto, home shop, and
aluminum welding? I'm mainly interested in doing light gauge welding but it
would be nice if it was capable of maybe up to 3/16"-1/4" aluminum.

RogerN

Syncrowave 250 - Perfect home machine and can be found used at a good
price.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-26, RogerN wrote:
I have a 900 lb TIG welder in my shop building 5 miles away and am
considering getting rid of it to buy one I can move without a forklift. I
learned here that the little 120V Lincolns were a favorite for auto body,
any favorite TIG welders for general purpose, maybe auto, home shop, and
aluminum welding? I'm mainly interested in doing light gauge welding but it
would be nice if it was capable of maybe up to 3/16"-1/4" aluminum.

My favorite home welder is a Syncrowave 250.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-26, Pete C. wrote:

RogerN wrote:

I have a 900 lb TIG welder in my shop building 5 miles away and am
considering getting rid of it to buy one I can move without a forklift. I
learned here that the little 120V Lincolns were a favorite for auto body,
any favorite TIG welders for general purpose, maybe auto, home shop, and
aluminum welding? I'm mainly interested in doing light gauge welding but it
would be nice if it was capable of maybe up to 3/16"-1/4" aluminum.

RogerN

Syncrowave 250 - Perfect home machine and can be found used at a good
price.

Great minds think alike. Most bankrupt factories have at least one.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-26, RogerN wrote:
I have a 900 lb TIG welder in my shop building 5 miles away and am
considering getting rid of it to buy one I can move without a forklift.
learned here that the little 120V Lincolns were a favorite for auto body,
any favorite TIG welders for general purpose, maybe auto, home shop, and
aluminum welding? I'm mainly interested in doing light gauge welding but
it
would be nice if it was capable of maybe up to 3/16"-1/4" aluminum.

My favorite home welder is a Syncrowave 250.

What price range do they usually sell for?

Years ago I went to a boat factory auction and they had several of these for
sale, they went in the $550 - $650 range. They had water coolers and looked
like they used them for fabricating boat parts out of stainless steel.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-26, RogerN wrote:
I have a 900 lb TIG welder in my shop building 5 miles away and am
considering getting rid of it to buy one I can move without a forklift.
learned here that the little 120V Lincolns were a favorite for auto body,
any favorite TIG welders for general purpose, maybe auto, home shop, and
aluminum welding? I'm mainly interested in doing light gauge welding but
it
would be nice if it was capable of maybe up to 3/16"-1/4" aluminum.

My favorite home welder is a Syncrowave 250.

What price range do they usually sell for?

Years ago I went to a boat factory auction and they had several of these for
sale, they went in the $550 - $650 range. They had water coolers and looked
like they used them for fabricating boat parts out of stainless steel.

RogerN

That price range is quite reasonable for a machine in good condition
with water cooler, torch, foot pedal and regulator / flowmeter. New
price for that package is/was around $3,500 or so. Iggy can of course
find one for $25...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-26, RogerN wrote:
I have a 900 lb TIG welder in my shop building 5 miles away and am
considering getting rid of it to buy one I can move without a forklift.
learned here that the little 120V Lincolns were a favorite for auto body,
any favorite TIG welders for general purpose, maybe auto, home shop, and
aluminum welding? I'm mainly interested in doing light gauge welding but
it
would be nice if it was capable of maybe up to 3/16"-1/4" aluminum.

My favorite home welder is a Syncrowave 250.

What price range do they usually sell for?

Years ago I went to a boat factory auction and they had several of these for
sale, they went in the $550 - $650 range. They had water coolers and looked
like they used them for fabricating boat parts out of stainless steel.

They go between $150 apiece to $1500 apiece. $550 for a good condition
250 with TIG cooler is a good deal. I paid $150 apiece for a pair of
250's once, but it was unusual. Great stick welder and great TIG
welder, simple and reliable.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-26, RogerN wrote:
[...]

No, but I once bought two of them for $300. They had pedals and
torches.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

RogerN wrote:

I have a 900 lb TIG welder in my shop building 5 miles away and am
considering getting rid of it to buy one I can move without a forklift.
learned here that the little 120V Lincolns were a favorite for auto body,
any favorite TIG welders for general purpose, maybe auto, home shop, and
aluminum welding? I'm mainly interested in doing light gauge welding but
it
would be nice if it was capable of maybe up to 3/16"-1/4" aluminum.

RogerN

Syncrowave 250 - Perfect home machine and can be found used at a good
price.

It sounds like the perfect home welder, I'll watch for one for a good price.

Are any of the portable lunchbox type TIG welders any good? I was wanting
something I could carry, maybe have to carry the argon bottle in a 2nd trip,
I don't really have an indoor place suitable for welding except in my shop,
and that's where my 900lb beast of a welder is. I know it's often too windy
to weld outside with shielding gas, but many evenings it is dead calm.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 27, 6:41*am, "RogerN" wrote:

Syncrowave 250 - Perfect home machine and can be found used at a good
price.

It sounds like the perfect home welder, I'll watch for one for a good price.

RogerN

Just be aware that the Miller site says they weigh 378 lbs.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RogerN wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

RogerN wrote:

[...]

The Syncrowave 250 setup is only ~500#

The small inverter type TIG welders (from the big brands) are good for
what they do, but not as versatile as a Syncrowave.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 05:41:50 -0500, "RogerN"
wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
nster.com...

RogerN wrote:

[...]

There are inverter type TIG welders that weigh about 50 lb and can
weld up to 1/4" aluminum. Once such is the Miller Dynasty 200.
They're pricey. Lots of electronics, very expensive to repair if
that becomes necessary.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DT DT is offline

RogerN wrote:

Are any of the portable lunchbox type TIG welders any good?

The Syncrowave is a fine machine, but if you are on a budget, Harbor
Freight's larger TIG gets excellent reviews on constructor forums. I
bought one after reading about it and for $349 it is an astonishingly
good TIG machine, although it's DC only.

http://www.harborfreight.com/tig-mma...ine-with-digit
al-readout-98233.html

The handle, hose and collet set is made in Germany by Abicor-Binzel. It
comes packed in the orignal box from A-B, it isn't even in a Harbor
Freight package.

http://www.binzel-abicor.com/content.asp

The machine welds flawlessly. The high frequency start is as good as it
gets, instantly firing across a 3/8" gap without a trace of a hum.
Amperage adjustment is smooth and linear.

The duty cycle is excellent, unlike the cheap 110 volt MIGs. 100% up to
128 amps, and 60% at full 165 amp output. I notice the web site now
lists it as 100% to 140 amps and only 30% at 165 amps which seems odd. I
did a lot of welding at 150 amps and the air was barely warm coming off
the fan.

I added a gas lens set from McMaster-Carr.

There is a cottage industry springing up to make add-on foot pedals, you
can find them on eBay for $69, complete with the necessary connectors.

--
DT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 05:41:50 -0500, "RogerN"
wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
onster.com...

RogerN wrote:

[...]

What about one of these:
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/tig/diversion_165/

$1650 list price seems reasonable.

I also saw a Hobart 165 amp TIG for $1299 but not sure of the weight.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

\
\Just be aware that the Miller site says they weigh 378 lbs.
\
\ Dan
\

Well, I wouldn't have much luck carrying it lunchbox style :-) But I guess
it would be easier to move than the one I have now (890lbs per Miller).

I'm wondering if I should get a small trailer and make an enclosure for the
Miller TIG I have, it would be more portable on a trailer than a synchrowave
setting in my utility room.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DT" wrote in message

RogerN wrote:

[...]

One of the primary things I want to learn to do with TIG is weld aluminum, I
thought maybe the HF unit wouldn't work for aluminum because of the DC only.
Other than that the HF welder sounds good.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RogerN wrote:

wrote in message
On Jul 27, 6:41 am, "RogerN" wrote:

Syncrowave 250 - Perfect home machine and can be found used at a good
price.

It sounds like the perfect home welder, I'll watch for one for a good
price.

RogerN

\
\Just be aware that the Miller site says they weigh 378 lbs.
\
\ Dan
\

Well, I wouldn't have much luck carrying it lunchbox style :-) But I guess
it would be easier to move than the one I have now (890lbs per Miller).

I'm wondering if I should get a small trailer and make an enclosure for the
Miller TIG I have, it would be more portable on a trailer than a synchrowave
setting in my utility room.

RogerN

A Syncrowave with a wheel kit is plenty mobile.

Keep in mind that while those inverter units (the real ones) are small,
they still take big power feeds in order to operate at full output. Just
because they are physically small doesn't mean that you can plug them
into any old 20A 120V outlet and do meaningful welding, particularly if
you want to weld aluminum which requires higher amperages.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RogerN wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 05:41:50 -0500, "RogerN"
wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
onster.com...

RogerN wrote:

[...]

It looks cute, but it's not remotely in the same league as a Syncrowave
250.

That Diversion 165 is only rated to weld 3/16" thick aluminum max.

It has an air cooled torch vs. the water cooled torch typically found
with a Syncrowave.

It has 165A max output, and is only rated at 20% duty cycle at 150A. The
Syncrowave 250 is rated at 40% duty cycle at 250A output, and it's max
amperage is 310A (at lower duty cycle of course). The Syncrowave is
rated at 100% duty cycle at 150A output.

The Diversion also lacks the controls of the Syncrowave 250, such as
control of argon post flow time, AC balance control, ARC control (for
stick welding), and a few others. I doesn't appear that the Diversion
can do stick mode like the Syncrowave can, and the Syncrowave does stick
very well with it's ARC control.

Also keep in mind that just because these inverter machines are small,
doesn't mean you can just plug them into any 20A 120V outlet and do
meaningful welding, particularly on aluminum where you need more power
vs. steel. That Diversion 165 still requires a 50A 240V power feed (100A
240V for the Syncrowave). The Diversion 180 does give you the option of
running at reduced output from 120V, something you can't do with the
Syncrowave, though the Syncrowave will operate fine at reduced output
from smaller amperage 240V sources.

Running gear and foot pedal control are also optional accessories for
the Diversion 165. By the time you've added everything up you will have
spent vastly more than what you can find a used Syncrowave for and will
still have a far inferior machine. I wouldn't trade my Syncrowave for
anything.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RogerN wrote:

"DT" wrote in message

RogerN wrote:

[...]

A DC only machine isn't going to do aluminum, or at least not well at
all.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

RogerN wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 05:41:50 -0500, "RogerN"
wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
onster.com...

RogerN wrote:

[...]

I'm still interested in a synchrowave but I would pretty much have to build
an enclosure for it or keep it outside, I'm out of room in my utility room.
I have an old Miller TIG welder that can output over 400A with a water
cooled torch ac/dc high frequency, etc. But it's inconvenient to use
because it is in my shop 5 miles from my current residence and at 890lbs
plus carriage plus water cooler, plus bottle of argon, it's probably 1000lbs
or more total weight. My old Miller doesn't have synchrowave capabilities
but it is capable of thick aluminum and high current if I wire it for 100A
240V.

Maybe if I find a synchrowave 250 for a reasonable price I could build a
small enclosure on a trailer so that I could move it easily. That may allow
me to get more welder with good portability for not much more money than a
Diversion TIG 165 or similar.

I searched local advertisements, no bargain synchrowaves yet but I'm still
looking. I may try a wanted ad in Craigslist. I know there was probably a
dozen of these sold from the boat factory that closed, some may be in the
area not being used.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

What's that Lassie? You say that RogerN fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Tue, 27 Jul 2010 05:41:50 -0500:

Are any of the portable lunchbox type TIG welders any good?

Oh yes. Very good. And pricey! I got a Miller Dynasty 200DX and
although it was a lot of money for something I use just for hobby
stuff, I have no regrets. This thing is amazing! I hadn't done TIG
since I took a class right out of high school, but it came back to me
right quick. I played around with most all the settings for a few
days and now use it for metal sculpture when I have the time.

It's great to be able to work with AL and SS now. And I have lots of
it to work with out of the scrap bins at work(machine shop).

I can hook it up to 208v 3ph at work, or 120 1ph at home.
It can handle any voltage between 440 an 80 for input power, not just
120, 208, 240, 440, so if I need to run it from a flaky genset it
won't complain.

It's got a million settings for frequency, waveform, balance,
sequencer, pulser, etc.

I was wanting
something I could carry, maybe have to carry the argon bottle in a 2nd trip,
I don't really have an indoor place suitable for welding except in my shop,
and that's where my 900lb beast of a welder is.

And the whole thing is as big as a bread box. Well, perhaps a little
bigger. But you can just grab the handle, pick it up and carry it
around. I got the kit that holds all the cables and foot pedal and
stuff. I think the 80cf tank of Ar weighs more.

If you don't need AC, you can get one of the Maxstar series.
Similar, but smaller, lighter and cheaper.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I saw Miller has a Diversion 165 TIG and there is a Hobart 165 TIG welder,
they look the same the best I can tell from the small pictures. They seem
to have the same specs, weigh 50 lbs, can be bought for $1299 or a little
less. The only difference I see is that the Hobart comes with the foot
pedal and the Miller comes with a "For Dummies" book and dvd. They claim to
be able to weld 3/16 aluminum but the minimum amps on each welder is 10A. I
don't have a real need to weld aluminum cans anyway :-) I realize the 165A
is a limitation but if I need to I can use my big welder that goes up to
460A or 435A depending on the selection.

I thought using a small TIG for auto body I might be able to do better welds
that need less grinding and have more control over the heat.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...

I saw Miller has a Diversion 165 TIG and there is a Hobart 165 TIG welder,
they look the same the best I can tell from the small pictures. They seem
to have the same specs, weigh 50 lbs, can be bought for $1299 or a little
less. The only difference I see is that the Hobart comes with the foot
pedal and the Miller comes with a "For Dummies" book and dvd. They claim
to be able to weld 3/16 aluminum but the minimum amps on each welder is
10A. I don't have a real need to weld aluminum cans anyway :-) I realize
the 165A is a limitation but if I need to I can use my big welder that
goes up to 460A or 435A depending on the selection.

I thought using a small TIG for auto body I might be able to do better
welds that need less grinding and have more control over the heat.

RogerN

I understand the urge to spend money on a problem that doesn't really
exist, I bought a Miller 180 TIG and use it once a year. LOL
But, for auto body work you should try ESAB's "Easy-Grind" MIG wire...
it's made to produce smooth welds through "dirty" metal that you find in
body work; and it's easier to grind and hammer without cracking.
Easy-Grind:
https://weldingsupply.securesites.co...DEF:OR:130TF44

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David Courtney" wrote in message
"RogerN" wrote in message
m...

[...]

That might help the body welding problems but it won't help me learn to TIG
weld aluminum, steel, or stainless. I just gotta have a TIG welder I can
use once a year too! I don't know why they just don't make a $500 TIG
welder that is equal to the Syncrowave 250 but weighs 25lbs :-)

Is that Easy-Grind wire widely available or should I just plan to order it?
When I don't have good access to use a backer plate and have to fill in a
hole, I just hit it in pulses, this makes a big glob but fills in the hole.
I'm hoping with TIG I could have better control and do a better quality weld
and have less to grind.

Did you buy the Miller Diversion 180 TIG? If so, how do you like it? Or
maybe I should ask if you remember how you liked it last time you used it?
:-)

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 26, 6:59*pm, "RogerN" wrote:
I have a 900 lb TIG welder in my shop building 5 miles away and am
considering getting rid of it to buy one I can move without a forklift. *I
learned here that the little 120V Lincolns were a favorite for auto body,
any favorite TIG welders for general purpose, maybe auto, home shop, and
aluminum welding? *I'm mainly interested in doing light gauge welding but it
would be nice if it was capable of maybe up to 3/16"-1/4" aluminum.

RogerN

I'm in knda the same boat as Roger, but without the big machine five
miles away. I've been watching craigs list, and the only reasonable
looking thing that has gone by is a Lincoln Precision TIG 185 for
$1000 "almost new" Is that something worth looking at? It's been
listed for over a month, so I'm thinking I could offer something less,
but how much is reasonable?

There may be factories closing all over the country, but there is
certainly no glut of used machinery (or welders) in Northern NJ.