Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default Favorite home TIG welder?

"DT" wrote in message

RogerN wrote:

Are any of the portable lunchbox type TIG welders any good?

The Syncrowave is a fine machine, but if you are on a budget, Harbor
Freight's larger TIG gets excellent reviews on constructor forums. I
bought one after reading about it and for $349 it is an astonishingly
good TIG machine, although it's DC only.

http://www.harborfreight.com/tig-mma...ine-with-digit
al-readout-98233.html

The handle, hose and collet set is made in Germany by Abicor-Binzel. It
comes packed in the orignal box from A-B, it isn't even in a Harbor
Freight package.

http://www.binzel-abicor.com/content.asp

The machine welds flawlessly. The high frequency start is as good as it
gets, instantly firing across a 3/8" gap without a trace of a hum.
Amperage adjustment is smooth and linear.

The duty cycle is excellent, unlike the cheap 110 volt MIGs. 100% up to
128 amps, and 60% at full 165 amp output. I notice the web site now
lists it as 100% to 140 amps and only 30% at 165 amps which seems odd. I
did a lot of welding at 150 amps and the air was barely warm coming off
the fan.

I added a gas lens set from McMaster-Carr.

There is a cottage industry springing up to make add-on foot pedals, you
can find them on eBay for $69, complete with the necessary connectors.

--
DT

One of the primary things I want to learn to do with TIG is weld aluminum, I
thought maybe the HF unit wouldn't work for aluminum because of the DC only.
Other than that the HF welder sounds good.

RogerN