Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wiring various machine health switches

My mill has a few switches, such as low lubricating oil level and
motor overheat switches, all NC.

I wanted to ask what is the standard way of wiring this stuff. Just
all in big series with E-stop switches? Or separately as separate
inputs so that I would know what the problem is?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus12838" wrote in message
My mill has a few switches, such as low lubricating oil level and
motor overheat switches, all NC.

I wanted to ask what is the standard way of wiring this stuff. Just
all in big series with E-stop switches? Or separately as separate
inputs so that I would know what the problem is?

If you're short on inputs, just put them on indicator lights. Otherwise, its
a control input. Then you can program what you want. For example, I have low
air do a feedhold then spindle stop. That way you don't ruin a part. You can
just do cycle start when problem is corrected.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 15:57:02 -0500, Ignoramus12838
wrote:

My mill has a few switches, such as low lubricating oil level and
motor overheat switches, all NC.

I wanted to ask what is the standard way of wiring this stuff. Just
all in big series with E-stop switches? Or separately as separate
inputs so that I would know what the problem is?

As a machine tool service tech..Id personally love to see some sort of
individual indication of problems, issues and so forth.

If you are up to doing so..it makes life much easier down the road.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus12838 fired this volley in
:

I wanted to ask what is the standard way of wiring this stuff. Just
all in big series with E-stop switches? Or separately as separate
inputs so that I would know what the problem is?

Ig, that's really a matter of choice. I, personally, would want more
information that simply, "something's wrong", but I've wired process
machinery up like that when I didn't have enough inputs on a PLC to
handle all the errors I might have to detect.

When you do it that way, you need to create a step-chart to remind you of
all the things to check when the alarm goes off. Three years from now,
while you're milling parts, it might not be as fresh in your memory as
now.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I can see digital logic in the use of the switches.

Run if this light is on but when this other lights - shut down....

I'd consider a machine motor off and a all off.

The idea is to have a scram button that is 'all off'. Then Gunner
walks up to troubleshoot and he turns off the motor switches and
enables power. The lights will show. The 'lights' might be relays
that drive lights or fans or pumps...

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 7/15/2010 3:57 PM, Ignoramus12838 wrote:
My mill has a few switches, such as low lubricating oil level and
motor overheat switches, all NC.

I wanted to ask what is the standard way of wiring this stuff. Just
all in big series with E-stop switches? Or separately as separate
inputs so that I would know what the problem is?

wiring light switches: has the convention changed? RobertL UK diy 8 April 19th 10 10:00 AM
Wiring 2 switches to an outlet. Pelletier Home Repair 5 October 25th 07 04:47 PM
Wiring for switches No-one UK diy 8 August 25th 07 12:00 PM
wiring 3 switches in parallel [email protected] Home Repair 4 March 4th 07 04:52 AM
lighted switches & aluminum wiring [email protected] Home Repair 7 August 26th 06 07:47 PM