Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default cement mixer motor suggestions

I bought an old cement mixer. About 24" in diameter, about 24" deep. Old,
old, old. Has new big pulley on the end of shaft, and motor plate. What
horsepower would you recommend so as to handle a good days work, and not
overload it or kick the 20 amp breaker? I believe I can do with a one speed
one direction motor. They are all over the map from $150 to $700.

I do have 220v. available, too.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I bought an old cement mixer. *About 24" in diameter, about 24" deep. *Old,
old, old. *Has new big pulley on the end of shaft, and motor plate. *What
horsepower would you recommend so as to handle a good days work, and not
overload it or kick the 20 amp breaker? *

Do you know for sure it was electric? A bunch of the gas ones used
6:1 reduction motors, so 600 rpm or so, usually 3 or 5hp (about a 1hp
electric equivalent).

According to their website, my HF mixer has a 1/3hp "1500rpm" motor,
and turns the drum at 30rpm, but it doesn't take much overloading to
stall it. Drum size is a little smaller, 22" dia x 18", so I'd guess
at least 1/2hp or 3/4 if you have it, and 1hp is probably not out of
line. I'd guess 1725rpm but that would depend on your gearing, of
course, and what sort of drum speed you want.

Your drum size is about 6 cubic feet, so as a rough estimate I'd guess
it was designed for a "half batch" (half a 94lb bag of portland, 1
cubic feet of sand, 1-1/2 of gravel, and 3 gallons of water) to allow
room for mixing (a full batch would probably choke your drum, but you
can always adjust your batch size once you see how the thing mixes).

My little HF one (nominally 3-1/5 cu.ft.) works pretty good if I start
with a square-shovel-ful of portland, two of sand, three of gravel,
and a gallon of water. I mix to consistency, so sometimes have to use
a little less or more water to adjust for how wet my sand and gravel
already are. It's only when I start trying to push my batch size to
try and speed things up that I run into problems with the motor.

Hope that helps,
--Glenn Lyford

My Cement mixer. Donwill[_3_] UK diy 5 July 12th 10 08:05 PM
Cement mixer motor Steve B[_10_] Metalworking 7 June 8th 10 02:44 AM
Electric Motor Problem on a Cement Mixer zen83237 UK diy 3 August 27th 07 08:48 PM
Cement Mixer Electric Motor Problem Kev UK diy 4 March 12th 07 10:53 PM
HF cement mixer Proctologically Violated©® Metalworking 10 May 2nd 06 03:16 PM