Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cement mixer motor

I bought a hefty cement mixer recently. An old one with lots of steel, even
steel wheels. It needs a motor. The drum is pretty good sized, about twice
or more what those little ones at HD are. Got the big solid steel ring gear
teeth, not the CNC stamped ring.

What sized motor and type should I use? Should I get a reversible one?
Thermal protected? Anyone got one laying around like that which would fit
in a Priority Mail Flat Rate box?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 May 2010 09:32:08 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I bought a hefty cement mixer recently. An old one with lots of steel, even
steel wheels. It needs a motor. The drum is pretty good sized, about twice
or more what those little ones at HD are. Got the big solid steel ring gear
teeth, not the CNC stamped ring.

What sized motor and type should I use? Should I get a reversible one?
Thermal protected? Anyone got one laying around like that which would fit
in a Priority Mail Flat Rate box?

Steve

Unless you can store it inside..an open frame motor is out. So a TEFC
motor is actually what you want for best life. Any idea of the HP thats
on it now?..or is it gone?

Probably...maybe had a 1hp motor on it and they are pretty common.
Finding a used one should be easy. Craigslist, used motor places...etc.

Might cost you $35-50 at most, plus the price of a pulley and belt(s)

I cant see the benefits of a reversable one though Ive seen em on BIG
mixers

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

IIRC, the guy said a one horse came off it. I'll post some pics, as it is a
classy piece of iron. Heavy iron. I want to keep the steel wheels that are
on there, but I also want to put a tongue on it, and some rubber wheels so I
can move it around the property with the ATV.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" fired this volley in
:

What sized motor and type should I use? Should I get a reversible
one? Thermal protected? Anyone got one laying around like that which
would fit in a Priority Mail Flat Rate box?

Figure a 1HP TENV reversible for a 6cu.ft. mixer (that's what Stone
Equipment puts on their electric 6cu.ft. jobs).

Who would run a motor under an unpredictable load without some form of
overload protection?

Now you have to figure out the volume of the mixer -- get out the solid
geometry books...

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...
"Steve B" fired this volley in
:

What sized motor and type should I use? Should I get a reversible
one? Thermal protected? Anyone got one laying around like that which
would fit in a Priority Mail Flat Rate box?

Figure a 1HP TENV reversible for a 6cu.ft. mixer (that's what Stone
Equipment puts on their electric 6cu.ft. jobs).

Who would run a motor under an unpredictable load without some form of
overload protection?

Now you have to figure out the volume of the mixer -- get out the solid
geometry books...

LLoyd

When I get it off the trailer, a couple of braces need to be welded, and a
couple of things done to it. I will provide dimensions, and I am sure
someone will be able to do the calcs on it.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doc Doc is offline

"Steve B" wrote in
:

I bought a hefty cement mixer recently. An old one with lots of
steel, even steel wheels. It needs a motor. The drum is pretty good
sized, about twice or more what those little ones at HD are. Got the
big solid steel ring gear teeth, not the CNC stamped ring.

What sized motor and type should I use? Should I get a reversible
one? Thermal protected? Anyone got one laying around like that which
would fit in a Priority Mail Flat Rate box?

Steve

Steve, I would put a gas engine on it for a couple of reasons. First,
variable speed is nice with a mixer as you can slow it down when adding mix
,(I do not enjoy inhaling concrete dust especially the aggregate as those
rocks really hurt) Second, it is also nice to control the rotation speed
when your are pouring as it helps prevent splashing the mix around. I tend
to slow down the mixer when starting the pour and speeding it up as the
drum gets empty.

Also, I have found that while I never intended to use the mixer away from a
power source ... well you know how that goes.

I have a Stowe 6 yard mixer and it has an 8 horse Honda that seems to work
fine.

Just my two cents.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I bought a hefty cement mixer recently. An old one with lots of steel, even
steel wheels. It needs a motor. The drum is pretty good sized, about twice
or more what those little ones at HD are. Got the big solid steel ring gear
teeth, not the CNC stamped ring.

What sized motor and type should I use? Should I get a reversible one?
Thermal protected? Anyone got one laying around like that which would fit
in a Priority Mail Flat Rate box?

Steve

A one-bag mixer should have a 3hp B&S motor or (better) a diesel motor of the
same sort of capacity. Run all day and not worry about a bit of weather :-)

Reversible won't add any value to a mixer unless it has a scroll like a cement
truck does.

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

About 20 years ago, I found an old Sears 1 bag mixer in a grove. It didn't
have a motor. I put a 1/2 hp electric on it. With the mixer, my family and
I, SWMBO, a 10 yr. old, a 7 year old and a 4 year old, poured a 2 car
driveway, a sidewalk, and a sideyard patio. It worked so well we were lucky
to have any grass left in the yard. I knew it was time to dial back when
the 4 year old knew the recipe for concrete.
These days, I've shaken the concrete addiction, but I still use it now and
then to pour pads for AC units and such. The motor will run the mixer all
day if necessary w/o overheating - I've sheaved it to about 370 rpm. The
sizing was was not high tech - just tech: the mixer had a 14 inch sheave and
I had a 3 inch in the junk box. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I mounted the motor on a piece of plywood. With a spring and a couple of
pins, I can mount / remove it in seconds. The mixer sits outside and the
motor and belt goes to the basement when not needed.

Steve H

wrote:

I bought a hefty cement mixer recently. An old one with lots of steel,
even
steel wheels. It needs a motor. The drum is pretty good sized, about
twice
or more what those little ones at HD are. Got the big solid steel ring
gear
teeth, not the CNC stamped ring.

What sized motor and type should I use? Should I get a reversible one?
Thermal protected? Anyone got one laying around like that which would fit
in a Priority Mail Flat Rate box?

Steve

A one-bag mixer should have a 3hp B&S motor or (better) a diesel motor of
the
same sort of capacity. Run all day and not worry about a bit of weather
:-)

Cement/concrete mixer NoSpam UK diy 2 January 3rd 08 08:55 PM
Electric Motor Problem on a Cement Mixer zen83237 UK diy 3 August 27th 07 08:48 PM
Cement Mixer Electric Motor Problem Kev UK diy 4 March 12th 07 10:53 PM
HF cement mixer Proctologically Violated©® Metalworking 10 May 2nd 06 03:16 PM
Manual cement mixer? Lobster UK diy 15 May 26th 05 03:35 PM