Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default CNC Taper Question

ISO20, ISO30, HSK63, HSK100, BT30, BT40, CAT30, CAT40, CAT50... Name a few
yourself if you can as I'm sure there are a few others.

What are the most common here in the US? I'm thinking the CATxx series but
I'm still learning about these buggers.

Context: This is going to start sounding like an ad, but that is NOT my
intention as you can see from the history of my posts here in this group...
We are going to start selling lower cost, high quality aggregate heads if I
can solve some of the adapter issues. I'm right at the threshold of doing
so but the choice now exists as to how we will solve this best.

My challenge at this time is choosing the top adapter / taper choices to be
made available in the first year when we will be selling for less as a
semi-beta test of the product, etc. After we have reached a high confidence
level, we will offer 'em all but charge more.

Figuring out the most likely and reliable tapers to offer now is my goal.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

/{[(P.s. Also posted in alt.machines.cnc) but not via this message so as to
limit crosstalk.)]}\

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
ISO20, ISO30, HSK63, HSK100, BT30, BT40, CAT30, CAT40, CAT50... Name a
few
yourself if you can as I'm sure there are a few others.

What are the most common here in the US? I'm thinking the CATxx series but
I'm still learning about these buggers.

You forgot the NMTB series: 30, 40, 50. Then I have a BT45 machine that I
have made custom pull studs so I can use CAT45 tooling also.

Unless you're in large machines, CAT40 is by far the most common on recent
equipment.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 07/07/2010 12:53 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:
"Joe wrote in message
ISO20, ISO30, HSK63, HSK100, BT30, BT40, CAT30, CAT40, CAT50... Name a
few
yourself if you can as I'm sure there are a few others.

What are the most common here in the US? I'm thinking the CATxx series but
I'm still learning about these buggers.

You forgot the NMTB series: 30, 40, 50. Then I have a BT45 machine that I
have made custom pull studs so I can use CAT45 tooling also.

Unless you're in large machines, CAT40 is by far the most common on recent
equipment.

What's that? Standards are so nice -- and there's so many to choose
from, too.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-07, Joe AutoDrill wrote:
ISO20, ISO30, HSK63, HSK100, BT30, BT40, CAT30, CAT40, CAT50... Name a few
yourself if you can as I'm sure there are a few others.

What are the most common here in the US? I'm thinking the CATxx series but
I'm still learning about these buggers.

Well ... FWIW my old CNC Bridgeport BOSS-3 (Series I) uses the
NMTB 30 taper in a quick-change spindle, and my non-CNC Nichols
horizontal mill uses the NMTB 40 taper. This is a flat flange with just
two square notches at 180 degrees separation around the flange, and no
V-groove. The flange is thinner than the CAT and BT flanges in the same
size.

Now all of the 30-taper ones have the same physical taper, but
differences in the flange and the draw screws or studs. The Bridgeport
quick-change spindle *requires* the NMTB flange -- no way to make the
CAT or BT series work in there. I'm not sure where the ISO falls in
this list.

O.K. It looks as though it is the NMTB specified in metric
units, except that I can't find enough detail of the flange. The
threads for the drawstuds or drawbars are metric instead of the inch
threads on the US standards.

For the Nichols horizontal mill, there is no real sensitivity
to the flange dimensions, as long as there is room to accept the cap
screw heads which fit into the notches. However, I've had to make studs
on the end of the taper to accept the normal drawscrew.

Context: This is going to start sounding like an ad, but that is NOT my
intention as you can see from the history of my posts here in this group...
We are going to start selling lower cost, high quality aggregate heads if I
can solve some of the adapter issues. I'm right at the threshold of doing
so but the choice now exists as to how we will solve this best.

My challenge at this time is choosing the top adapter / taper choices to be
made available in the first year when we will be selling for less as a
semi-beta test of the product, etc. After we have reached a high confidence
level, we will offer 'em all but charge more.

Figuring out the most likely and reliable tapers to offer now is my goal.

Thoughts?

Are you talking about the mounting of the drilling head to the
machine, or the tools to the drilling head? If the mounting of the
head, probably go for the CAT or BT flange and offer a choice of
drawstud to fit the customer's machine. They normally seem to be held
in with a rather tough Loctite, so better to offer the taper bare and
let them install the proper stud and Loctite it in place. That way,
your bearings won't be subjected to the heat needed to break down the
Loctite if someone needs to change to a different drawstud.

Oh yes -- there is also another style (I forget the name) which
has a standard 30 or 40 (or maybe even 50) taper with a rounded groove
milled into the side of the taper (at right angles to the axis) which
allows the taper to be held in with a cam in the spindle. I *think*
that this groove can be present in other sockets of the same taper
without harm.

I presume that your heads will not be installed by a
quick-change turret, but rather by hand.

I hope that this is some help.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Are you talking about the mounting of the drilling head to the
machine, or the tools to the drilling head? If the mounting of the
head, probably go for the CAT or BT flange and offer a choice of
drawstud to fit the customer's machine. They normally seem to be held
in with a rather tough Loctite, so better to offer the taper bare and
let them install the proper stud and Loctite it in place. That way,
your bearings won't be subjected to the heat needed to break down the
Loctite if someone needs to change to a different drawstud.

We are indeed talking about the mounting of the head to the machine.

We offer adapters now, but they are manually loaded in design. I'm working
toward the automatic tool changer variety at this time - which opens op a
whole new playing field for us.

I presume that your heads will not be installed by a
quick-change turret, but rather by hand.

See above.

I hope that this is some help.

Absolutely! Thank you (and everyone else) for the info.