Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Machinist wanted, Princeton University

axolotl wrote:

On 6/23/2010 7:50 PM, Pete C. wrote:

axolotl wrote:

On 6/23/2010 12:23 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

It would be a neat place to work, but is that pay sufficient to live
on in that area of NJ?

More often it's just an entry-level position. The average income for an
American over 25 years of age is $39,336. So this is about an average-paying
job.

To add a little local precision, Wikipedia, the final authority, states
the median income for males in Mercer county, NJ was $47,444 in 2000.
The median income for females was $34788. One would assume it has gone
up a bit since then. According to the census, the median household
income in 2008 was $71,374. The median family income was $90,009.

Kevin Gallimore

Right, meaning the position is only worth consideration if you both have
a working spouse to generate the income for the other half of the cost
of living there, *and* have children who could benefit from the probable
free tuition. Otherwise it's just another underpaid and
under-appreciated position dealing with a lot of egocentric people.

Not at all. They could be looking at entry level. They may have a super
health insurance plan. The position is probably a good fit for someone.
The position being at a college, the hours are probably pretty flexible.
Might be good for a retired guy to keep his hand in. Who knows?

Kevin Gallimore

If they were looking at "entry level", they would be calling it an
unpaid internship. I expect they are requiring considerable experience,
but not willing to pay for it. They expect the candidate to work for
below market pay in exchange for benefits like tuition for their kids
and "prestige".
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"J. D. Slocomb" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 22:59:30 -0400, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at
PTD dot NET wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 13:22:44 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

There's a recently posted job opening at Princeton for a machinist
"associate." Salary range is $30,800 - $46,800.

https://jobs.princeton.edu/applicant...=1277139724615
(search open positions -- search on machinist)

It would be a neat place to work, but is that pay sufficient to live
on in that area of NJ?

RWL

I don't live in the U.S. and ask out of ignorance. Is this a normal
salary for a "job shop" machinist? I read about the auto workers and
their 40 dollars an hour pay packages and this guy is going to be
getting, what? $12.00?

Cheers,

John D. Slocomb
(jdslocombatgmail)

That "$40/hour" you've heard about includes benefits. Princeton's benefits
are fairly extensive, too, and are not included in the salary figure.

Here's info on their benefits, should you be interested:

http://www.princeton.edu/main/administration/working/

As for wages, contrary to what others have said, this is about an average
salary for a "machinist." The term covers a lot of territory in the US.
Besides journeyman machinists, you'll get a lot of machine operators in
there.

That's about what this Princeton job is. And this is entry-level. The
current Bureau of Labor Statistics average for machinists, including senior
ones, is $21.28/hour. That works out to $44,200 on a 40-hour-week basis.
There isn't a lot of overtime going on in private industry on the whole, but
that varies. Some are going like gangbusters.

So, with the benefits, this job can pay more than the average for
"machinists" in the country.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

wrote:

There's a recently posted job opening at Princeton for a machinist
"associate." Salary range is $30,800 - $46,800.

https://jobs.princeton.edu/applicant...=1277139724615
(search open positions -- search on machinist)

It would be a neat place to work, but is that pay sufficient to live
on in that area of NJ?

RWL

I don't live in the U.S. and ask out of ignorance. Is this a normal
salary for a "job shop" machinist? I read about the auto workers and
their 40 dollars an hour pay packages and this guy is going to be
getting, what? $12.00?

Cheers,

John D. Slocomb
(jdslocombatgmail)

It's normal for an under-appreciated position in a "higher education"
environment, and well below the pay that would be expected in the
commercial world.

Not really. Not for a job with that description.

Where are you located, Pete?

--
Ed Huntress

The non-production slower paced environment and the
likely side benefit of free tuition for your children are the only real
reasons one would consider the position. I supposed a retired and bored
machinist might consider it as essentially a paid hobby.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

wrote:

[...]

I'm in Texas now, I used to be in the frozen northeast (CT). I used to
work for a college system, left there and am making 3X as much with
equally good benefits, better work environment and in a lower cost of
living state doing the same work. I also get the respect that was sorely
lacking in the college, and have significantly fewer egos to deal with.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

wrote:

[...]

'Sounds like you're pretty bitter about the old job. I only know one person
who worked in that environment, and he loved it. After a few years he
started his own machine shop business (I bought in) and we continued to make
parts for Princeton's research departments. That was the machine shop I
worked in, first in Pennington, later moved to Princeton Junction.

Good for you making all that money. Most people aren't making three times as
much as the Princeton job pays.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-06-24, Ed Huntress wrote:
I'm in Texas now, I used to be in the frozen northeast (CT). I used to
work for a college system, left there and am making 3X as much with
equally good benefits, better work environment and in a lower cost of
living state doing the same work. I also get the respect that was sorely
lacking in the college, and have significantly fewer egos to deal with.

'Sounds like you're pretty bitter about the old job. I only know one person
who worked in that environment, and he loved it. After a few years he
started his own machine shop business (I bought in) and we continued to make
parts for Princeton's research departments. That was the machine shop I
worked in, first in Pennington, later moved to Princeton Junction.

Good for you making all that money. Most people aren't making three times as
much as the Princeton job pays.

In Texas, 120k lets you live like a king.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

wrote:

[...]

Not at all, I loved the job, which is why I'm still doing it, just at a
far better place.

I only know one person
who worked in that environment, and he loved it.

Obviously every situation is different, but I certainly found the
"higher education" environment to be less than desirable. This wasn't
even "ivy league", I expect that environment to be even more ego laden.

After a few years he
started his own machine shop business (I bought in) and we continued to make
parts for Princeton's research departments. That was the machine shop I
worked in, first in Pennington, later moved to Princeton Junction.

Sounds like fun, however I'm not the business type so that wouldn't work
for me. The shop projects I do for other folks I'm lucky if I break even
on since I mostly do them for fun. Sometimes the projects at least add a
new tool or two to my shop.

Good for you making all that money. Most people aren't making three times as
much as the Princeton job pays.

Not sure on the statistics, but it seems an awful lot are. The national
average may be $39k, but you know how distorted an average can appear.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-06-24, Ed Huntress wrote:
I'm in Texas now, I used to be in the frozen northeast (CT). I used to
work for a college system, left there and am making 3X as much with
equally good benefits, better work environment and in a lower cost of
living state doing the same work. I also get the respect that was sorely
lacking in the college, and have significantly fewer egos to deal with.

'Sounds like you're pretty bitter about the old job. I only know one person
who worked in that environment, and he loved it. After a few years he
started his own machine shop business (I bought in) and we continued to make
parts for Princeton's research departments. That was the machine shop I
worked in, first in Pennington, later moved to Princeton Junction.

Good for you making all that money. Most people aren't making three times as
much as the Princeton job pays.

In Texas, 120k lets you live like a king.

Yes and no, that depends on what part of Texas. Certainly in the major
metro areas it doesn't, though it lets you live decently. If you can
live far out from those metro areas you can indeed live like a king.
Texas is a rather large state after all...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus8716 wrote:
On 2010-06-24, Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]

Yeah, but the King of Texas.
LOL

Yep, and Texas is a far better place to live than NJ. I know, I used to
live in CT and went to and through NJ with some regularity. Texas is far
better than CT as well, I don't miss CT at all.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 23, 9:18*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

So, with the benefits, this job can pay more than the average for
"machinists" in the country.

--
Ed Huntress

But the job is in New Jersey................ 8-).

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Jun 23, 9:18 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

So, with the benefits, this job can pay more than the average for
"machinists" in the country.

--
Ed Huntress

But the job is in New Jersey................ 8-).

Why do you think the cost of living is so high in Princeton, and for miles
to the north, east, and west? Because people are trying to get out? d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 24, 9:16*am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
wrote in message

On Jun 23, 9:18 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

So, with the benefits, this job can pay more than the average for
"machinists" in the country.

--
Ed Huntress
But the job is in New Jersey................ 8-).

Why do you think the cost of living is so high in Princeton, and for miles
to the north, east, and west? Because people are trying to get out? d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

The US Census Bureau says that 32,147 more people migrated from NJ per
year ( 2000-2004 ) than moved in. So I would say people are trying
to get out. http://www.census.gov/prod/2006pubs/p25-1135.pdf

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

On Jun 23, 9:18 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

So, with the benefits, this job can pay more than the average for
"machinists" in the country.

--
Ed Huntress
But the job is in New Jersey................ 8-).

Why do you think the cost of living is so high in Princeton, and for miles
to the north, east, and west? Because people are trying to get out? d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

The US Census Bureau says that 32,147 more people migrated from NJ per
year ( 2000-2004 ) than moved in. So I would say people are trying
to get out. http://www.census.gov/prod/2006pubs/p25-1135.pdf

So that's your explanation for a COLI of 140 in Princeton? Costs go up
because demand *drops*?

Try again, Dan. They aren't moving out of Princeton. People are waiting
*years* to find a place to move in. The same applies to the adjacent
counties of Hunterdon and Somerset.

Don't bother with Mercer County's numbers, because Princeton is only in
there accidently. Mercer County is Trenton and its suburbs. Trenton is a
poverty-riddled shooting gallery, and it might as well be on a different
planet from Princeton.

This is a very varied state, as Joe AutoDrill and others can tell you.
Applying statewide data to places like Princeton, or Morristown, or even
little burgs like the one I live in, is entirely misleading. People are
bidding up prices of houses in Princeton Township, and you'd better get your
name on a list if you want to live in Princeton Borough. _Money_ magazine
listed it as the 15th most desirable place to live in the US. It would have
scored higher if it had more open space within the township boundaries.
There's plenty of that to the north and west of town.

I graduated from high school there, and lived in the town and surrounding
area for 15 years, not counting time out for college. I'd have moved back,
after years of working in Manhattan, if I could afford it. It's priced out
of my range now.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 24, 10:03*am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

I graduated from high school there, and lived in the town and surrounding
area for 15 years, not counting time out for college. I'd have moved back,
after years of working in Manhattan, if I could afford it. It's priced out
of my range now.

--
Ed Huntress

Glad you like it. I have been through there several times in the last
few years, but I do not want to live there even though it is not
priced out of my range. I admit it would be a step up from Manhattan.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Jun 24, 10:03 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

I graduated from high school there, and lived in the town and surrounding
area for 15 years, not counting time out for college. I'd have moved back,
after years of working in Manhattan, if I could afford it. It's priced out
of my range now.

--
Ed Huntress

Glad you like it. I have been through there several times in the last
few years, but I do not want to live there even though it is not
priced out of my range. I admit it would be a step up from Manhattan.

Dan

Just to clear something up, I didn't *live* in Manhattan. I worked there,
for McGraw-Hill. For the first two years of working in Manhattan I lived in
the Princeton area, but the commute was too long. So we moved up the
Northeast Corridor rail line to be closer to work.

--
Ed Huntress