Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 1/4 20 one end threaded studs - Stainless

I already looked on McMaster and The closes they have is too long, and at
19.59 each way to expensive.

I have been buying generic stainless bolts at the local box store and
cutting them off with my flexshaft and a fiber wheel, but I was kinda hoping
to find some small boxes for a reasonable price. One less little thing to
eat up time, and maybe have a nicer edge without grinding on the non
threaded end. 3/4 length with 3/8 threaded is what I am hoping to find.

At the price from McMaster even counting my time its cheaper to buy bolts
and cut them off... and the ones from McMaster would still need to be cut
off.

Suggestions? Or should I just continue to throw bolts in my vise and cut
them off as needed? Most common alloys are ok. They are just being used
for alignment pins screwed into aluminum molds. No stress on the pins. I
could use a little smaller (diameter not length) ones if the price was
right.

I'ld like to buy about 50 at a time for common stainless bolt prices.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 22:26:46 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote the following:

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 18:42:23 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

[...]

How about a jig that goes in the mill vise? Drop in bolt, tighten
vice, traverse mill with a slitting saw in the spindle. I'll bet it
wouldn't take 10 seconds per bolt to behead them once you got rolling.

Or a pneumatic vise jigged into a 4x6 bandsaw. Cut 'em off and run 'em
through the grinder for a smoother chamfered edge.

Bob, have you asked a CNC Swiss screw shop for prices on such? In
larger quantities, it might be far cheaper.

--
Peace of mind is that mental condition in which you have accepted the worst.
-- Lin Yutang

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Just out of curiosity, why can't you use 50 cent SS dowel pins and
press them in to one side, with a larger hole on the other side?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I don't reckon there is any reason I can't. I just had not thought of it.
I center punch my holes on the mill while machining and drill them out two
different sizes already on the drill press now. No different I guess to do
the same thing for a press in pin. Aluminum does expand and contract quite
a bit with heat and these molds routinely go from room temp to having 300F+
plastic shot in them and then after the run is done cool back to room temp.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
Check with Fastenal Industrial Supplies Steve

I had not thought of Fastenal. They even have a local store front. I had
already planned to check Copperstate Bolt. I'll check Fastenal too.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 12:24:50 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

CTE for aluminum is 23E-6/°C and for SS it's 17.3E-6/°C according to
Wikipedia.

So the mismatch is 5.7E-6/°C. The differential expansion in a 0.25"
pin for 100°C change would be 0.14 thou. That doesn't sound too bad,
less than 10% of your typical 0.002" interference fit.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Thank you. My next post was going to be to ask the information you just
provided. Not only did you answer, you told me how to look up similar
information for myself in the future. Thank you very much. Now if only the
sometimers doesn't kick right before the next time I have to worry about
heat expansion.... LOL.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Well, I decided to give press fit pins a try. Neither Fastenal nor
Copperstate Bolt had any in stock in the local stores. They both list them
on their website. I guess its time to see what Google says is available.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

What's that Lassie? You say that Larry Jaques fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Mon, 21 Jun 2010 06:23:47 -0700:

wrote:

[...]

This kind of thing would only take about 25sec each on a swiss lathe.
Less than an hour to setup and program.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Are you making "alignment pins"? If so why not just use straight pins
and press them in? That is how most pins used only for alignment are
installed.

Cheers,

John D. Slocomb
(jdslocombatgmail)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 17:11:23 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

[...]

McMaster has lots. Eg. 90145A540 $10 for 20 pieces in 18-8 SS.

I assume you have matching reamers for the two hole sizes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Well no, but for this application precision is not mandatory. I figured
I'ld just keep drilling the 1/4 hole and improvise for the smaller hole. I
didn't find the 18-8 1/4 by 3/4 for that on McMaster. The one I found sure
looked like $20 each. Amazon listed a seller with them for about 25¢ each
in bags of 25. 4 bags was $38 including priority shipping. I have also
considered aluminum pins. Easy to cut to length and a tiny little spot weld
on the back to hold them in place. Only problem with aluminum pins is that
they will wear out more quickly.