Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default 1/4 20 one end threaded studs - Stainless

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 18:42:23 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

I already looked on McMaster and The closes they have is too long, and at
19.59 each way to expensive.

I have been buying generic stainless bolts at the local box store and
cutting them off with my flexshaft and a fiber wheel, but I was kinda hoping
to find some small boxes for a reasonable price. One less little thing to
eat up time, and maybe have a nicer edge without grinding on the non
threaded end. 3/4 length with 3/8 threaded is what I am hoping to find.

At the price from McMaster even counting my time its cheaper to buy bolts
and cut them off... and the ones from McMaster would still need to be cut
off.

Suggestions? Or should I just continue to throw bolts in my vise and cut
them off as needed? Most common alloys are ok. They are just being used
for alignment pins screwed into aluminum molds. No stress on the pins. I
could use a little smaller (diameter not length) ones if the price was
right.

I'ld like to buy about 50 at a time for common stainless bolt prices.

Just out of curiosity, why can't you use 50 cent SS dowel pins and
press them in to one side, with a larger hole on the other side?