Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 8.8 mm dowel pin?

I'm making a snap ring feeder assembly for a line at work. I'm looking at the original
drawing for it and they call out an 8.8 mm dowel hole reamed thru. At first I thought it
was just a metric conversion of inch units but 8.8 mm =~ 0.3465 .

For chits and grins I measure the end I could get at since the machine was running
production and a 8.79 mm minus pin barely slipped in.

I can't find a metric reamer in that size nor can I find a 8.8 mm dowel pin. I have no
idea why they came up with this odd size. 8mm, 10mm, .375 whatever would fit and work in
this application.

Informed comments please.

Wes
--

I was a skeptic before I became a cynic.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes,

Why not make an 8.8 mm D bit reamer out of tool steel. You might have to carefully lap them several
times to compensate for heat treat distortion. OTOH, 8.8 mm is a standard size. Check with
suppliers.

Bob Swinney
"Wes" wrote in message
I'm making a snap ring feeder assembly for a line at work. I'm looking at the original
drawing for it and they call out an 8.8 mm dowel hole reamed thru. At first I thought it
was just a metric conversion of inch units but 8.8 mm =~ 0.3465 .

For chits and grins I measure the end I could get at since the machine was running
production and a 8.79 mm minus pin barely slipped in.

I can't find a metric reamer in that size nor can I find a 8.8 mm dowel pin. I have no
idea why they came up with this odd size. 8mm, 10mm, .375 whatever would fit and work in
this application.

Informed comments please.

Wes
--

I was a skeptic before I became a cynic.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
I'm making a snap ring feeder assembly for a line at work. I'm looking at

the original
drawing for it and they call out an 8.8 mm dowel hole reamed thru. At

first I thought it
was just a metric conversion of inch units but 8.8 mm =~ 0.3465 .

For chits and grins I measure the end I could get at since the machine was

running
production and a 8.79 mm minus pin barely slipped in.

I can't find a metric reamer in that size nor can I find a 8.8 mm dowel

pin. I have no
idea why they came up with this odd size. 8mm, 10mm, .375 whatever would

fit and work in
this application.

Informed comments please.

Can you up-size to the next standard size?

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-06-09, Wes wrote:
I'm making a snap ring feeder assembly for a line at work. I'm looking at the original
drawing for it and they call out an 8.8 mm dowel hole reamed thru. At first I thought it
was just a metric conversion of inch units but 8.8 mm =~ 0.3465 .

For chits and grins I measure the end I could get at since the machine was running
production and a 8.79 mm minus pin barely slipped in.

I can't find a metric reamer in that size nor can I find a 8.8 mm dowel pin. I have no
idea why they came up with this odd size. 8mm, 10mm, .375 whatever would fit and work in
this application.

Hmm ... did you try multiplying the diameter by 32? That comes
out just barely over 11/32 in size, so if you assume 11/32, that gives
you 0.3438" -- only 0.0028" off. I'll bet that it originally was
11/32".

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hmm ... did you try multiplying the diameter by 32? That comes
out just barely over 11/32 in size, so if you assume 11/32, that gives
you 0.3438" -- only 0.0028" off. I'll bet that it originally was
11/32".

....Or an "S" drill that shrunk as it got older.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:http://www.AutoDrill.com
Multiple Spindle Drills:http://www.Multi-Drill.com
Production Tapping:http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site:http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
VIDEOS:http://www.youtube.com/user/AutoDrill

V8013-R

I think we've got a winner! 8.800mm is .34646in, no standard fastener
near that size and no metric matches, tap or through-hole. Only thing
close is the S drill, .34800. And that's nothing, either, No match,
tap or through-hole. Next size up on the chart is 8.9mm which is tap
size for 10x1.25. I think we've got a case of runaway metrication.
And somebody liked letter drills when they designed the thing,
probably got up in the morning muttering "S, S, S,....". If it were
me, I'd ream the thing out for a standard dowel pin, probably 9mm if
you're metricated and assuming enough meat in the body, and alter the
drawings. S gauge minus reamers have got to be a little thin on the
ground, too. Not to mention S-size dowel pins. Probably another case
of proprietary-itis, "to hell with standard hardware, we'll do it MY
way!".

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 11:01:00 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

Or a cigar is just a cigar. g

McMaster p/n 8803A664 -- .3460" (8.79mm) reamer
McMaster p/n 8803A703 -- .3465" (8.80mm) reamer
McMaster p/n 2900A367 -- 8.80mm drill blank

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
Or a cigar is just a cigar. g

McMaster p/n 8803A664 -- .3460" (8.79mm) reamer
McMaster p/n 8803A703 -- .3465" (8.80mm) reamer
McMaster p/n 2900A367 -- 8.80mm drill blank

Careful. A drill blank is to size but not case hardened like a dowel pin,
also you need to fab the ends to champher them, or alternatively get a
slightly oversize pin, heat treat it and then grind it to size.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 11:55:55 -0700, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
.. .
Or a cigar is just a cigar. g

McMaster p/n 8803A664 -- .3460" (8.79mm) reamer
McMaster p/n 8803A703 -- .3465" (8.80mm) reamer
McMaster p/n 2900A367 -- 8.80mm drill blank

Careful. A drill blank is to size but not case hardened like a dowel pin,
also you need to fab the ends to champher them, or alternatively get a
slightly oversize pin, heat treat it and then grind it to size.

A drill blank is thru hardened and comes ground to size, though to
minus a couple tenths rather than the plus tolerance on a dowel pin.
Since it's hard thru and made from HSS, the drill blank won't be as
tough as an alloy dowel pin, but I didn't get the impression that's an
issue here.

It's true you'd need to cut it to length and chamfer the ends, but
that's pretty trivial if you're in a jam for a one-off.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ned Simmons wrote:

Or a cigar is just a cigar. g

McMaster p/n 8803A664 -- .3460" (8.79mm) reamer
McMaster p/n 8803A703 -- .3465" (8.80mm) reamer
McMaster p/n 2900A367 -- 8.80mm drill blank

I ordered the .3460 reamer this morning from McMaster. I wish I had seen your post
earlier. I'll get the drill blank ordered tomorrow. I totally spaced out on thinking
metric drill rod for the pin. Thanks Ned!

For those that say just change the pin size, what I'm working has to interchange with
something that is already there.

They could have used a 6 or 8 mm dowel and it wouldn't have mattered a bit as to function.
Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 20:43:25 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Ned Simmons wrote:

Or a cigar is just a cigar. g

McMaster p/n 8803A664 -- .3460" (8.79mm) reamer
McMaster p/n 8803A703 -- .3465" (8.80mm) reamer
McMaster p/n 2900A367 -- 8.80mm drill blank

I ordered the .3460 reamer this morning from McMaster. I wish I had seen your post
earlier. I'll get the drill blank ordered tomorrow. I totally spaced out on thinking
metric drill rod for the pin. Thanks Ned!

You already had the last resort for odd-sized pins in your hands -- a
gage pin!

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ned Simmons wrote:

Or a cigar is just a cigar. g

McMaster p/n 8803A664 -- .3460" (8.79mm) reamer
McMaster p/n 8803A703 -- .3465" (8.80mm) reamer
McMaster p/n 2900A367 -- 8.80mm drill blank

I ordered the .3460 reamer this morning from McMaster. I wish I had seen your post
earlier. I'll get the drill blank ordered tomorrow. I totally spaced out on thinking
metric drill rod for the pin. Thanks Ned!

You already had the last resort for odd-sized pins in your hands -- a
gage pin!

Another idea! Just not one from QA

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Angled dowel jig Ken Muldrew Woodworking 3 July 15th 06 10:54 AM
What is better tennon or dowel? Bronwyn Mitchell Woodworking 3 April 14th 06 09:23 PM
Dowel Basics Relz Woodworking 1 March 10th 06 06:09 PM
DOWEL JIG J T Woodworking 0 February 27th 06 04:15 PM
DOWEL JIG J T Woodworking 0 January 10th 06 08:05 AM