Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default 8.8 mm dowel pin?

On 2010-06-09, Wes wrote:
I'm making a snap ring feeder assembly for a line at work. I'm looking at the original
drawing for it and they call out an 8.8 mm dowel hole reamed thru. At first I thought it
was just a metric conversion of inch units but 8.8 mm =~ 0.3465 .

For chits and grins I measure the end I could get at since the machine was running
production and a 8.79 mm minus pin barely slipped in.

I can't find a metric reamer in that size nor can I find a 8.8 mm dowel pin. I have no
idea why they came up with this odd size. 8mm, 10mm, .375 whatever would fit and work in
this application.

Hmm ... did you try multiplying the diameter by 32? That comes
out just barely over 11/32 in size, so if you assume 11/32, that gives
you 0.3438" -- only 0.0028" off. I'll bet that it originally was
11/32".

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564