Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New (to me) bandsaw update

The new saw shows up and it's in great shape! Everything works but we
haven't exactly figured out the vise. It slides free then it seems like a
cam lock of some sort clamps the work in the vise. Nobody EVER cleaned it
but under all the swarf the paint isn't even scratched. It cuts straight,
fast and quiet. It also flips up to vertical but there must be some type of
table attachment available; don't care, we'll never go vertical. I still
have the links (thanks) and the manual in PDF...we might even READ it!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Buerste wrote:

The new saw shows up and it's in great shape! Everything works but we
haven't exactly figured out the vise. It slides free then it seems like a
cam lock of some sort clamps the work in the vise. Nobody EVER cleaned it
but under all the swarf the paint isn't even scratched. It cuts straight,
fast and quiet. It also flips up to vertical but there must be some type of
table attachment available; don't care, we'll never go vertical. I still
have the links (thanks) and the manual in PDF...we might even READ it!

That would be a first, for you! Don't you mean you'll have someone
else read it to you, to protect your record? ;-)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote in message
The new saw shows up and ....... don't care, we'll never go vertical.

Hey Buerste,

YES!! you will go vertical. I threw away my table (about 10 inches by 10
inches) many years ago. The saw still has a small, useable horizontal
platform (maybe 2 inches square?). You would be surprised how many times
you will simply want to 'freehand' cut the head off a bolt, shorten a rod,
cut a strip of sheet metal, cut open the plastic housing on a plastic
battery pack, etc. etc., all done with the saw held vertically. Seems like
95% of all my saw use is doing the above, all done vertically. Why go to
all the trouble to place a small part in the vice simply because you want to
cut off a piece of it. Hold it in your hand and cut it!! Hand held, you
have much better feel and can guide the cut to your liking.

Glad to hear you got a saw!!

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message

"Buerste" wrote in message
[...]

Yep! Did the 10x10 come with the saw? I do have a nice vertical band saw
with a welder and reels of blade stock.