Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Inline skateboard/scooter. How to make/acquire a steering column?

If what you wnat to make is what I think it is - have a look at
www.theshedmag.co.nz

in particular:
http://www.theshedmag.co.nz/cms/inde...urfer&catid=34

Geoff

On 24 May 2010 10:38:34 GMT, John Doe wrote:

(Crossposted, please feel free to trim groups)

MY QUESTION IS BELOW.

After a long time of trying, I might have figured out how to make an
inline skateboard. By using slightly wider front and back wheels,
when the board is leaned left or right, the center wheels will be
lifted so that it will be steerable. Ever hear of a steering device
like that? The application is very limited, so I would guess not.

That might not be a perfect solution. When traversing rough street
terrain, steering might be a problem. But for ordinary situations,
it should work. Normally when trying to deal with very rough terrain
(like when ditching into grass), I am just trying to keep from
falling forwards, and not trying to turn. Will see.

Inline wheels traverse rough street terrain better than anything
else on land, especially with a big front wheel. I have been using
these big front wheel inline skates for years, love them for rough
street skating. (Many people who see them in person act fascinated.)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/3056505603/

I want to power skate wheels with an electric motor. Unfortunately,
technology (at least my technology) is not good enough where inline
skates can be powered without being cumbersome.

The wider front and back wheels on an inline skateboard will still
allow the benefits of inline wheels for handling almost all rough
street situations, that is pits and potholes. Inline wheels make a
world of difference for handling rough terrain.

THIS IS MY QUESTION.
How to make a steering column for a kick scooter? It should be like
a Razor kick scooter steering column. Can it be made with ordinary
parts from a hardware store? The long part should be lightweight
aluminum. I am somewhat familiar with ordering parts from McMaster-
Carr.

I might run up to the store and buy a Razor Cruiser scooter, to see
if its steering column fork is wide enough to handle a wider wheel.
I plan to use Trikke 6 wheel for the front and/or back wheels, it is
5.85 inches in diameter and significantly wider where the rubber
meets the road than a Cruiser scooter wheel. The wheels in between
the front and back wheels might be smaller, like ordinary 80-100 mm
inline skate wheels.

Another possibility is to buy a Trikke 6 just for the steering
column, but would rather not fork over that much money.

My metalworking experience is very limited... to drill, hacksaw,
rotary tool, file, and sandpaper. I make lots of things, but
metalworking is tough here.

Thanks.