Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Catch tub...

The only thing keeping me from putting my new pressurized liquid oiler on
the mini mill is lack of a catch tub. Is there a nice simple plastic tub
that won't get eaten up by petroleum distillates available or am I going to
be stuck using up some more of my stock of aluminum sheet to make my own
pan?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 12, 1:52*pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
The only thing keeping me from putting my new pressurized liquid oiler on
the mini mill is lack of a catch tub. *Is there a nice simple plastic tub
that won't get eaten up by petroleum distillates available or am I going to
be stuck using up some more of my stock of aluminum sheet to make my own
pan?

How big?

I bought an oil can tray from an auto parts store once.

Maybe an HVAC shop will sell you some galvanized cheaper. When I go
shopping for sheet metal I tie several 2X4s to the roof rack. Leave
the two outer ones in place, load on the sheets, tie one on top in the
center to curve and stiffen the metal. Pick roads and time of day to
keep the speed down to 40 or 45.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On May 12, 1:52 pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
The only thing keeping me from putting my new pressurized liquid oiler on
the mini mill is lack of a catch tub. Is there a nice simple plastic tub
that won't get eaten up by petroleum distillates available or am I going
be stuck using up some more of my stock of aluminum sheet to make my own
pan?

How big?

I bought an oil can tray from an auto parts store once.

Maybe an HVAC shop will sell you some galvanized cheaper. When I go
shopping for sheet metal I tie several 2X4s to the roof rack. Leave
the two outer ones in place, load on the sheets, tie one on top in the
center to curve and stiffen the metal. Pick roads and time of day to
keep the speed down to 40 or 45.

jsw

2' x 3' would probably work fine.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
The only thing keeping me from putting my new pressurized liquid oiler
on the mini mill is lack of a catch tub. Is there a nice simple plastic
tub that won't get eaten up by petroleum distillates available or am I
going to be stuck using up some more of my stock of aluminum sheet to
make my own pan?

Go to Wal-Mart or Home depot and look at plastic storage containers.
Also look at what they have in the water heater dept for catch-pans.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

I had a nearby HVAC shop make me a pan for my mini mill setup, basically
just a condensate catch pan with a bit deeper than normal sides.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 12, 10:52*am, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
The only thing keeping me from putting my new pressurized liquid oiler on
the mini mill is lack of a catch tub. *Is there a nice simple plastic tub
that won't get eaten up by petroleum distillates

Hot metal and heavy falling things aren't kind to plastic. Galvanized
steel is preferable; if you can find a HVAC shop, they can custom
bend you almost anything you could want.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 12 May 2010 10:52:39 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

The only thing keeping me from putting my new pressurized liquid oiler on
the mini mill is lack of a catch tub. Is there a nice simple plastic tub
that won't get eaten up by petroleum distillates available or am I going to
be stuck using up some more of my stock of aluminum sheet to make my own
pan?

Hey bob,

I'm not positive it was a Home Depot...maybe it was a Lowe's...or even
a Menard's...but they had a drip pan for placing on the driveway or
garage floor to catch to the undesirable drips from transmissions and
engine on cars. Was it a big aluminum "pie plate"??? Maybe, but it
would have been heavy enough to do what you want at least as a "test
piece". Under 10 bucks for sure.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The only thing keeping me from putting my new pressurized liquid oiler on
the mini mill is lack of a catch tub. Is there a nice simple plastic tub
that won't get eaten up by petroleum distillates available or am I going to
be stuck using up some more of my stock of aluminum sheet to make my own
pan?

Hey bob,

I'm not positive it was a Home Depot...maybe it was a Lowe's...or even
a Menard's...but they had a drip pan for placing on the driveway or
garage floor to catch to the undesirable drips from transmissions and
engine on cars. Was it a big aluminum "pie plate"??? Maybe, but it
would have been heavy enough to do what you want at least as a "test
piece". Under 10 bucks for sure.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

There are plastic spill pans made to sit under a washing machine and
connect to a drain line for washing machines installed on upper floors.
They're ~30" square and a few inches deep.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
The only thing keeping me from putting my new pressurized liquid oiler on
the mini mill is lack of a catch tub. Is there a nice simple plastic tub
that won't get eaten up by petroleum distillates available or am I going
to be stuck using up some more of my stock of aluminum sheet to make my
own pan?

Make one from 1/4" plywood and glue-in Aluminum foil with Polyurethane. You
might just use the Polyurethane.

They always catch you.... Burled Frau Metalworking 0 January 29th 10 03:50 AM
They always catch you.... Burled Frau Metalworking 0 January 29th 10 03:48 AM
Catch It Now Weatherlawyer UK diy 5 February 25th 06 11:46 AM
Catch It Now Weatherlawyer UK diy 0 February 22nd 06 12:32 AM
Catch It Now Weatherlawyer UK diy 0 February 21st 06 11:37 PM