Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mary's surgery

From: "Don Foreman"
Subject: OT Good news (from "who will be the first")
Date: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 11:03 PM

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 21:45:20 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
.. .
Mary's heart surgery went very well. I was there for 12 hours until
she shooed me outta there to go grab some grub and call some people.

It wasn't as invasive as split-sternum surgery because it's done
entirely via catheters threaded thru major veins from groin and
elsewhere, guided by ultrasound, xray, computers and a bunch of
technology. It's fairly new and not widely practiced, but already has
a better success rate than a more traditional procedure which does
require chest entry, splitting and spreading of sternum, and
consequent long recovery with significant discomfort and disability
along the way.

It's a complex procedure that can take from 6 to 9 hours, a lot of
high-tech kit and I don't know how many people in the operating
theater. Hers took six, which I immediately regarded as a good omen.

Prognosis is sometimes not clear for two to three months but she's
already ticking like a Timex, a very good sign.

The doc seemed quite pleased with her progress, his performance or
both. I intend absolutely no disrespect there, quite the contrary.
There isn't a speck of arrogance about this doctor though he is
obviously highly respected at this hospital which is among the 100
best cardiac centers in the nation. Luck of the draw, we happen to
live close. We both like how he presents.

All signs were good as of 1730 today. She'll spend the night in ICU
and probably come home tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for good wishes and prayers. Mary had a bunch of
"prayer warriors" (her term) on her six.

Was that one of the new mitral valve clamps by Abbott?

Steve

Remediation of atrial fibrillation, valves not involved.

The new Abbott mitraclip is an interesting read. It is a heart valve
procedure that is also minimally invasive.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sorry, Don. I missed your post re. Mary's surgery. Hopes and prayers are with your's and you.

Bob Swinney

From: "Don Foreman"
Date: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 11:03 PM

wrote:

[...]

Cataract Surgery [email protected] Metalworking 19 October 10th 08 07:13 PM
LASIK Surgery FAQ -- cyber[_2_] Home Repair 0 August 19th 08 08:51 AM
D_I_Y Surgery! Peter Crosland UK diy 39 October 16th 06 10:11 PM
IM ASKING FOR DONATIONS FOR HEART SURGERY raden UK diy 2 October 11th 06 08:15 PM
Cosmetic surgery for a stairs ado UK diy 7 September 11th 06 10:21 PM