Posted to uk.d-i-y
ado ado is offline

Default Cosmetic surgery for a stairs

Hi All,

We are looking to give a stairs a facelift. We have a stairs that was
covered by soiled carpet that runs from the back of our Kitchen down a
narrow hall to the back garden. Its the only part of our massonette
that's covered by carpet and we had hoped for a wooded stairs
underneath that we could sand. However after removing the carpet we
discovered a hodge podge of cracked wooden steps and a few concrete
steps near the bottom. Also the risers aren't in great shape. It
looks like any spare bits of wood was used to create the risers, and in
places they have rectangular pieces of laminate tiles stuck to them
which the tackless strips where glued or nailed to.

Anyway in its current state we can't sand and refurbish the stairs, we
dont want to install a new stairs and we would prefer not to re-carpet
it. So is there anything that we could stick over the current wooden
and concert steps and Risers that would give it a face lift other that
carpet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ado wrote:
[...]

"veneer" it with real wood or laminate or whatever.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ado wrote:
[...]

I guess you could cover everything with thin plywood, and varnish it
with a flooring grade nonslip varnish. As long as its done neatly you
then get neat wood stairs.

Another option is to just use very thin wood on the non-wood bits then
stain everything black, this should hide the differences between the
wood types, if you like black wood. This might also work with other
strong stain colours like red - but I've not tried that.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It's very difficult to clad a poor condition staircase with timber and
get visually good results - even for a professional joiner. I'd suggest
a combination of plywood cladding to get all the treads perfectly level
and stiff underfoot, and an equal rise between them, and the same for
the risers. Then something like a hessian carpet professionaly fitted
to hide the cosmetic discontinuities.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ado" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

If you pop into the Geant hypermarket in Beziers, they have exactly what you
are looking for on one of the temporary displays in the main entrance area -
a commercial product designed to cover old stairs, available in a variety of
finishes. Unfortunately, I didn't take a note of the company, as it was not
of interest to me at the time.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you pop into the Geant hypermarket in Beziers, they have exactly what you
are looking for on one of the temporary displays in the main entrance area -
a commercial product designed to cover old stairs, available in a variety of
finishes. Unfortunately, I didn't take a note of the company, as it was not
of interest to me at the time.

If it's that cladding system you see around markets in France, run away.

Wooden Floor & Stairs JonG UK diy 5 August 15th 06 02:39 AM
Do it yourself tool rigging Mike Berger Metalworking 20 January 24th 06 02:51 AM
installing stairs off the back of house to a stone patio chester Home Repair 2 March 15th 05 07:48 PM
Carpeting stairs and filling in wood stairs Dantanna Home Ownership 2 January 10th 05 11:35 PM
Change color of stain on stairs Nel Woodworking 5 May 21st 04 01:05 AM