Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DIY resistance welding

I want to make some small diameter rod racks for spices. I think I'll use
1/4" or less square and round bar. I'm going to twist the round, and
square, making spirals, geometric designs, freehand stuff, then bend it to
form the rack. Mainly kitchen spice racks, knife holders, holders for
containers, etc.

I have a Lincoln 175 SP+, and can do some HOT spot welds. I don't want to
do very much weld metal deposit to keep from warping.

I have been interested in what it takes to put two pieces of bar together,
and zap them and melt them like the shopping carts are made. They come up
so beautifully fused and even.

Is there a resistance welding device made, or can I do it with just a
welding machine with a momentary blast of current? As with CadWelding
studs, is there any type of powder available that I can put in the joint
that would melt when it arcs?

Or just keep it simple and tack it hot?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 23:47:01 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

[...]

Spot welding like that takes well north of 1000 amps.

Several guys have made spot welders out of microwave oven
transformers. I haven't done that so I'll defer to someone who has.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Harbor Freight sells two models of inexpensive spot welders which would
probably work adequately for the application.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 11:50:03 -0500, Pete C. wrote:
Don Foreman wrote:
[...]

Maybe so, or maybe not, if you refer to items 45689 and 45690 like at
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45690.

HF rates these 1.5KVA units for 1/8" metal, probably referring to the
total thickness. I doubt that they will work ok for two pieces of 1/4"
bar. (I have the 220V version and have fastened pieces of .1" strap
together ok with several spot welds per join, but it was easy to twist
apart single welds.)

Miller rates its $5000 20KVA 12500A units at 1/4" total thickness,
per http://www.millerwelds.com/products/spotwelders/ but that
probably is quite conservative.

IIRC, Gunner has an old floor unit something like those Miller's
or a bit bigger, that he might part with at less-than-new
prices ...

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:
[...]

Yes, however since the stated application was "spice racks" it would
seem that once one started sketching out a design it would be obvious
that 1/4" wire would be absurd.

I've been thinking about picking up the 240V HF unit to add to my home
shop. I don't have a specific use, but it would seem to be handy for
various projects.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 17:54:39 +0000 (UTC), James Waldby wrote:

Miller rates its $5000 20KVA 12500A units at 1/4" total thickness,
per http://www.millerwelds.com/products/spotwelders/ but that
probably is quite conservative.

IIRC, Gunner has an old floor unit something like those Miller's
or a bit bigger, that he might part with at less-than-new
prices ...

Indeed I do. Its IIRC...either a 25kva or 50kva.

I should have it in my hands in a week or two.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

Spot welding like that takes well north of 1000 amps.

Several guys have made spot welders out of microwave oven
transformers. I haven't done that so I'll defer to someone who has.

I would be one of those who have:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...rPrintable.pdf

'Cause I just had to know if it would do Steve's job, I tested it. I
used 3/16 rod, because I think 1/4 is just too big for spice racks and
that sort of stuff:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/SmRodWeld.jpg

It took 3 or 4 tries to get the timing right ('bout 3 seconds, I'd say).
The joint shown held while the rod bent.

As described in the DropBox writeup, my welder draws 17A at 240v, or
4kVA. 2000A output if one divides the 4kVA by the 2v OCV.

Iggy's 5kVA, $70, welder was a great deal, but it's gone. And it takes
floor space - a serious limitation for some of us G.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:
[...]

Spot welders create rather strong magnetic fields that can raise hell
with pacemakers and ICD's (implanted cardioverter defibrillator).
Folks that have such devices should know to stay well clear, but some
won't so the operator should know so he can caution others.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Don Foreman wrote:

[...]

I think I'll just hot spot weld 3/16" square. I need a couple of spice
racks and shelves until such time as we win the lottery and remodel the
kitchen.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

[...]

So I cant use my 300 amp square wave tig?

Damnit...sigh

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

[...]

Actually, a hot spot weld with a Tig in the back where it cannot be seen
would be my first choice.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:
[...]

Don't know if you've already seen this one Don, but it's relevant to you and
other ICD/Pacemaker users:-

http://tinyurl.com/y7vdm23

Regards
Mark Rand