Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Speed Rack max load

I have the older style of Speed Rack brand warehouse rack in my barn. Its
painted yellow. All this generation has this color from what I've seen.
About 1985 this design was obsoleted and replaced with the blue speedrack.

Anyway, I need to put a 500 gallon water tank ten feet high. I'm sure the
verticals will hold the 4000 lbs. as they were originally for five pallets
high. But I wonder about the loadbeams. Anyone know? Or, how would you
reinforce?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
I have the older style of Speed Rack brand warehouse rack in my barn. Its
painted yellow. All this generation has this color from what I've seen.
About 1985 this design was obsoleted and replaced with the blue speedrack.

Anyway, I need to put a 500 gallon water tank ten feet high. I'm sure the
verticals will hold the 4000 lbs. as they were originally for five pallets
high. But I wonder about the loadbeams. Anyone know? Or, how would you
reinforce?

Good question. I have 2 275-lb water tanks on a pallet rack with 10-ft
beams. They are not yet filled, but I have no doubt they will take the
load. Am I wrong?

BTW, this is for a rainwater collection system for my waterless shop.
Work in progress.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-02, RBnDFW wrote:
Karl Townsend wrote:
I have the older style of Speed Rack brand warehouse rack in my barn. Its
painted yellow. All this generation has this color from what I've seen.
About 1985 this design was obsoleted and replaced with the blue speedrack.

Anyway, I need to put a 500 gallon water tank ten feet high. I'm sure the
verticals will hold the 4000 lbs. as they were originally for five pallets
high. But I wonder about the loadbeams. Anyone know? Or, how would you
reinforce?

Good question. I have 2 275-lb water tanks on a pallet rack with 10-ft
beams. They are not yet filled, but I have no doubt they will take the
load. Am I wrong?

275 lb?

Sorry, gallons. I was thinking poundage.
These are your basic liquid storage totes that are being surplussed all
over.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
I have the older style of Speed Rack brand warehouse rack in my barn. Its
painted yellow. All this generation has this color from what I've seen.
About 1985 this design was obsoleted and replaced with the blue speedrack.

Anyway, I need to put a 500 gallon water tank ten feet high. I'm sure the
verticals will hold the 4000 lbs. as they were originally for five pallets
high. But I wonder about the loadbeams. Anyone know? Or, how would you
reinforce?

Karl

They should have a load rating stamped on them. Most of the ones I have
seen do.

You have 4,150 lbs. in the water alone. NOT something you want coming down.

I would probably drop the company a note or call them and see what they
say. http://www.speedrack.net/

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RBnDFW wrote:
Karl Townsend wrote:
I have the older style of Speed Rack brand warehouse rack in my barn.
Its painted yellow. All this generation has this color from what I've
seen. About 1985 this design was obsoleted and replaced with the blue
speedrack.

Anyway, I need to put a 500 gallon water tank ten feet high. I'm sure
the verticals will hold the 4000 lbs. as they were originally for five
pallets high. But I wonder about the loadbeams. Anyone know? Or, how
would you reinforce?

Good question. I have 2 275-lb water tanks on a pallet rack with 10-ft
beams. They are not yet filled, but I have no doubt they will take the
load. Am I wrong?

BTW, this is for a rainwater collection system for my waterless shop.
Work in progress.

Well those work out to about 4,600 pounds of water and another 180
pounds of tank weight if they are the common steel cage style.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve W. wrote:
Karl Townsend wrote:
I have the older style of Speed Rack brand warehouse rack in my barn. Its
painted yellow. All this generation has this color from what I've seen.
About 1985 this design was obsoleted and replaced with the blue speedrack.

Anyway, I need to put a 500 gallon water tank ten feet high. I'm sure the
verticals will hold the 4000 lbs. as they were originally for five pallets
high. But I wonder about the loadbeams. Anyone know? Or, how would you
reinforce?

Karl

They should have a load rating stamped on them. Most of the ones I have
seen do.

You have 4,150 lbs. in the water alone. NOT something you want coming down.

I would probably drop the company a note or call them and see what they
say. http://www.speedrack.net/

No ratings on that site, but I found this:

http://www.cisco-eagle.com/storage/r...capacities.htm

If that is representative, and I'm reading this right, then 4000 lbs
should be well within the load rating for decent pallet racking
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 2, 5:38*pm, RBnDFW wrote:
Steve W. wrote:
Karl Townsend wrote:
I have the older style of Speed Rack brand warehouse rack in my barn. Its
painted yellow. All this generation has this color from what I've seen..
About 1985 this design was obsoleted and replaced with the blue speedrack.

Anyway, I need to put a 500 gallon water tank ten feet high. I'm sure the
verticals will hold the 4000 lbs. as they were originally for five pallets
high. But I wonder about the loadbeams. Anyone know? Or, how would you
reinforce?

Karl

They should have a load rating stamped on them. Most of the ones I have
seen do.

You have 4,150 lbs. in the water alone. NOT something you want coming down.

I would probably drop the company a note or call them and see what they
say. *http://www.speedrack.net/

No ratings on that site, but I found this:

http://www.cisco-eagle.com/storage/r...ght_capacities...

If that is representative, and I'm reading this right, then 4000 lbs
should be well within the load rating for decent pallet racking- Hide quoted text -

Typically manufacturers weight capacities are similar. We are a
distributor and I can only tell you that brand new wireway husky beams
are rated as follows per pair;
5"x120" is 4,412 lbs per pair.
If the face height is higher the weight cap. increases smaller it
decreases.
If you are in need of any more information or new items you can visit
us at http://www.edwardsstorage.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tyler Cook wrote:
On Apr 2, 5:38 pm, RBnDFW wrote:
Steve W. wrote:
Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

I don't know the brand of mine, but the beams are 10-ft. They look
fairly new. I would think they are more like 6" high. They are stepped
on the inside.

So, with both 275-lb tanks full of water, plus a few more things on that
section, I could well be right at the load limit. hmm