Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Would you buy a new Toyota?

cavelamb wrote:

We tend to treat code as something written (which it is)
but it acts like something mechanical (which it is not).

But the competition between manufacturers is going to keep it as trade secrets.

Well, mp3 players have Rockbox, Canon cameras have CHDK , then there are routers now
running openwrt.

I've played with the first and third below.

www.Rockbox.org
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
http://openwrt.org/

Someone talented and interested enough is going to reverse engineer PCM on a car someday.
Heck, I think the hotrod community has done it to some degree.

Now I wonder who is willing to try open source PCM code? Gives a whole new meaning to
crash.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 18:42:04 -0500, Wes wrote:

cavelamb wrote:

We tend to treat code as something written (which it is)
but it acts like something mechanical (which it is not).

But the competition between manufacturers is going to keep it as trade secrets.

Well, mp3 players have Rockbox, Canon cameras have CHDK , then there are routers now
running openwrt.

I've played with the first and third below.

www.Rockbox.org
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
http://openwrt.org/

Someone talented and interested enough is going to reverse engineer PCM on a car someday.
Heck, I think the hotrod community has done it to some degree.

Now I wonder who is willing to try open source PCM code? Gives a whole new meaning to
crash.

Wes

Virtually every GM ECM code has been cracked and hacked. Many of the
others too.

Would you buy a new Toyota? Wes[_2_] Metalworking 2 March 31st 10 03:16 PM
Would you buy a new Toyota? [email protected] Metalworking 4 March 23rd 10 10:24 PM
Would you buy a new Toyota? [email protected] Metalworking 0 March 23rd 10 06:12 PM
OT Toyota mm Home Repair 56 February 2nd 10 03:57 AM
FIX: Toyota / Fujtsu Ten Limited CD player - Model SD-1619TM1 PN? 08601-00804 / Toyota compact Disc deck 34203 Robin Taylor Electronics Repair 4 August 7th 08 12:29 PM