DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Would you buy a new Toyota? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/300241-re-would-you-buy-new-toyota.html)

Wes[_2_] March 23rd 10 11:42 PM

Would you buy a new Toyota?

cavelamb wrote:

We tend to treat code as something written (which it is)
but it acts like something mechanical (which it is not).

But the competition between manufacturers is going to keep it as trade secrets.

Well, mp3 players have Rockbox, Canon cameras have CHDK , then there are routers now
running openwrt.

I've played with the first and third below.

www.Rockbox.org
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
http://openwrt.org/

Someone talented and interested enough is going to reverse engineer PCM on a car someday.
Heck, I think the hotrod community has done it to some degree.

Now I wonder who is willing to try open source PCM code? Gives a whole new meaning to
crash. ;)

Wes

[email protected] March 24th 10 01:13 AM

Would you buy a new Toyota?

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 18:42:04 -0500, Wes wrote:

cavelamb wrote:

We tend to treat code as something written (which it is)
but it acts like something mechanical (which it is not).

But the competition between manufacturers is going to keep it as trade secrets.

Well, mp3 players have Rockbox, Canon cameras have CHDK , then there are routers now
running openwrt.

I've played with the first and third below.

www.Rockbox.org
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
http://openwrt.org/

Someone talented and interested enough is going to reverse engineer PCM on a car someday.
Heck, I think the hotrod community has done it to some degree.

Now I wonder who is willing to try open source PCM code? Gives a whole new meaning to
crash. ;)

Wes

Virtually every GM ECM code has been cracked and hacked. Many of the
others too.

Wes[_2_] March 25th 10 01:14 AM

Would you buy a new Toyota?

wrote:

Now I wonder who is willing to try open source PCM code? Gives a whole new meaning to
crash. ;)

Wes

Virtually every GM ECM code has been cracked and hacked. Many of the
others too.

I thought so, just wasn't willing to research it enough to state it as fact.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller