Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Would you buy a new Toyota?

cavelamb wrote:

We tend to treat code as something written (which it is)
but it acts like something mechanical (which it is not).

But the competition between manufacturers is going to keep it as trade secrets.

Well, mp3 players have Rockbox, Canon cameras have CHDK , then there are routers now
running openwrt.

I've played with the first and third below.

www.Rockbox.org
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
http://openwrt.org/

Someone talented and interested enough is going to reverse engineer PCM on a car someday.
Heck, I think the hotrod community has done it to some degree.

Now I wonder who is willing to try open source PCM code? Gives a whole new meaning to
crash.

Wes