Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default bucky wire feed

"The kid" was trying to weld irrigation pipe today. My Century 500 (private
label Sears made by Lincoln) Mig welder was giving him fits. The wire will
hang up just 1/2 a second every now and then. Changes the arc length on him.

We've replaced the liner and feed rolls, no joy. Any other suggestions?

Also, I'm looking for a manual. Anybody know of a link?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
"The kid" was trying to weld irrigation pipe today. My Century 500
(private label Sears made by Lincoln) Mig welder was giving him fits. The
wire will hang up just 1/2 a second every now and then. Changes the arc
length on him.

We've replaced the liner and feed rolls, no joy. Any other suggestions?

Also, I'm looking for a manual. Anybody know of a link?

Karl

I was having trouble with my Lincoln that sounded like that. It was the
crappy little contacts in the handle. I still have to replace it, but it's
working now, sooooooooo ..............

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
"The kid" was trying to weld irrigation pipe today. My Century 500 (private
label Sears made by Lincoln) Mig welder was giving him fits. The wire will
hang up just 1/2 a second every now and then. Changes the arc length on him.

We've replaced the liner and feed rolls, no joy. Any other suggestions?

Also, I'm looking for a manual. Anybody know of a link?

Karl

Replace the contact tip.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote:

"The kid" was trying to weld irrigation pipe today. My Century 500 (private
label Sears made by Lincoln) Mig welder was giving him fits. The wire will
hang up just 1/2 a second every now and then. Changes the arc length on him.

We've replaced the liner and feed rolls, no joy. Any other suggestions?

Does the drive motor that feeds the wire have brushes? If so, check them.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 18:03:07 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

"The kid" was trying to weld irrigation pipe today. My Century 500 (private
label Sears made by Lincoln) Mig welder was giving him fits. The wire will
hang up just 1/2 a second every now and then. Changes the arc length on him.

We've replaced the liner and feed rolls, no joy. Any other suggestions?

Also, I'm looking for a manual. Anybody know of a link?

Karl

It's not something silly like the other end of the wire sticking out of the
side of the reel catching on something sometimes, is it?

Mark Rand
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark Rand fired this volley in
:

wrote:

"The kid" was trying to weld irrigation pipe today. My Century 500
(private label Sears made by Lincoln) Mig welder was giving him fits.
The wire will hang up just 1/2 a second every now and then. Changes
the arc length on him.

We've replaced the liner and feed rolls, no joy. Any other
suggestions?

Yeah, Karl. Replace the damned worn-out (or wrong-sized) tip. Once a
tip gets severely over-sized, it tends to allow the wire to wobble around
instead of staying in constant contact with some part of the bore. When
it does, the wire "spot welds" itself to some part of the bore of the
tip.

The wire must always contact the bore _firmly_, but not tight, or this
will happen every time.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"The kid" was trying to weld irrigation pipe today. My Century 500
(private label Sears made by Lincoln) Mig welder was giving him fits.
The wire will hang up just 1/2 a second every now and then. Changes
the arc length on him.

We've replaced the liner and feed rolls, no joy. Any other
suggestions?

Yeah, Karl. Replace the damned worn-out (or wrong-sized) tip. Once a
tip gets severely over-sized, it tends to allow the wire to wobble around
instead of staying in constant contact with some part of the bore. When
it does, the wire "spot welds" itself to some part of the bore of the
tip.

The wire must always contact the bore _firmly_, but not tight, or this
will happen every time.

LLoyd

Ayup.

Tips..buy em 5 at a time and check em regularly.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"The kid" was trying to weld irrigation pipe today. My Century 500 (private
label Sears made by Lincoln) Mig welder was giving him fits. The wire will
hang up just 1/2 a second every now and then. Changes the arc length on him.

We've replaced the liner and feed rolls, no joy. Any other suggestions?

It can't be both a Century and a Lincoln, they're competitors.

Check the condition of the wire. My little Lincoln SP125+ exhibits
the behaviour you describe with wire that is dirty or even mildly
rusty as in corroded or tarnished. I never leave wire in that
machine, always bag it after use and backfill the baggie with dry
argon from the TIG. No problems since I adopted that practice.

Mr. Miller (Millermatic 210) does not require such TLC. The little
Linc works superbly with thin metal like autobody so I tolerate its
fussiness about wire condition.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"The kid" was trying to weld irrigation pipe today. My Century 500 (private
label Sears made by Lincoln) Mig welder was giving him fits. The wire will
hang up just 1/2 a second every now and then. Changes the arc length on him.

We've replaced the liner and feed rolls, no joy. Any other suggestions?

It can't be both a Century and a Lincoln, they're competitors.

(actually...Lincoln owns Century...just a heads up...G)

Gunner

Check the condition of the wire. My little Lincoln SP125+ exhibits
the behaviour you describe with wire that is dirty or even mildly
rusty as in corroded or tarnished. I never leave wire in that
machine, always bag it after use and backfill the baggie with dry
argon from the TIG. No problems since I adopted that practice.

Mr. Miller (Millermatic 210) does not require such TLC. The little
Linc works superbly with thin metal like autobody so I tolerate its
fussiness about wire condition.

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"The kid" was trying to weld irrigation pipe today. My Century 500 (private
label Sears made by Lincoln) Mig welder was giving him fits. The wire will
hang up just 1/2 a second every now and then. Changes the arc length on him.

We've replaced the liner and feed rolls, no joy. Any other suggestions?

It can't be both a Century and a Lincoln, they're competitors.

(actually...Lincoln owns Century...just a heads up...G)

Gunner

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/corpo...ut/history.asp

2003 – Lincoln complements its successful line of retail products with
the acquisition of the Century and Marquette welding and battery charger
brands, which have leading positions in the automotive aftermarket and
retail channels.