Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wire Feed Welder (what kind of gas)?

I just noticed an ad in the paper for a local guy selling a Hobart 120
Wire feed welder. I called the guy and he said it belonged to a
relative and he inherited it. He knows it works, but he has never
used it, and said he knows nothing about welding which is why he is
selling it. He said its complete with a spool of wire and the gauges
for the gas, but no tank of gas.

I went to the Hobart website and they dont have this model listed, but
have a Handler 125 listed, so I assume its similar but a newer model.
Hobart has a .PDF file for the manual, but I downloaded it 3 times and
it's a defective file. The only other info I could find is just a
basic list of features. I think I know most I need, and know it can
use flux wire without the gas, or use solid wire with the gas. My
question is what kind of gas is used for these welders?

I've only used stick welders in the past, so I am new to these wire
feed types.

Thanks for all help.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jimw wrote:
[...]

Argon

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 13, 7:49*pm, Jimw wrote:
I just noticed an ad in the paper for a local guy selling a Hobart 120
Wire feed welder. *I called the guy and he said it belonged to a
relative and he inherited it. *He knows it works, but he has never
used it, and said he knows nothing about welding which is why he is
selling it. *He said its complete with a spool of wire and the gauges
for the gas, but no tank of gas.

I went to the Hobart website and they dont have this model listed, but
have a Handler 125 listed, so I assume its similar but a newer model.
Hobart has a .PDF file for the manual, but I downloaded it 3 times and
it's a defective file. *The only other info I could find is just a
basic list of features. *I think I know most I need, and know it can
use flux wire without the gas, or use solid wire with the gas. *My
question is what kind of gas is used for these welders? *

snip

Your welding supply store will sell you an argon-CO2 mix. If you are
going to other type wire, different gas will be required. Argon by
itself is a bit hot, and better welds with good penetration will be
the norm with the CO2 mix and steel. Have a look at the Miller Welding
web site and sign up for their newsletters. They have a dandy archive
of articles for pros and newbies, too. There are some unusual wire
types available that are good for projects that shouldn't be exposed
to much heat. One of these is silicon bronze. It needs a good machine
to work well, because the voltage and current parameters are quite
low. Buy a good supply of consumables, gas, tip cleaners, and scrap
for practice. If you don't have a good self darkening helmet, buy one.
The shade 10 we use for stick welding is a bit too dark. Let your
neighbors know you have the machine working and you should get lots of
broken things to practice on. Enjoy your new tool, it's a very useful
shop item.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 19:27:11 -0800 (PST), Joe wrote:

On Jan 13, 7:49*pm, Jimw wrote:
[...]

If it's not a self darkening, what number shade should I use?

Thanks for all the info and help.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jimw" wrote in message
[...]

Wirefeeds use either straight CO2, or a mix of argon/CO2. The mix can be
75/25 or 86/14 depending on the properties you want in the weld. If you are
doing just tubing and ornamental metal, CO2 will do just fine, and the mixed
gases are four times the cost. The cost for a CO2 tank is much less, too,
as they are available from soda dispensers. You don't have to prove
ownership of CO2 tanks, and can get them refilled at more places because
people use them for paintball and soda dispensers. CO2 regulators and tanks
can be had for $20 each. A mixed gas cylinder can cost up to $300 plus $75
for the gas plus $100 or so for the regulator. Lincoln has good support,
and you can go to their site and request the locations to describe all the
various mixes.

HTH

Steve, welding for 34 years now