Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Larios Horizontal mill and shop straightening

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 03:14:13 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 01:08:40 -0800, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:

On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 21:56:05 -0500, Gerald Miller
wrote:

It's handy to have rolls of vinyl tape in different colours around.

That only counts when you do the deed, then you tape it up properly
- but even then it's considered Temporary. You order 10-4 SO cable
and the proper 4-pin Twistlock cord caps and receptacles for each
tool, so it has a real ground connection.

If I ran around taping up every cable like that when I was at a
customer's for a repair job, I could easily waste days at it.

And they usually don't want to pay for it either, amazing how many
foolish people have the reins of the checkbook. I sometimes toss the
tape job in for free when I touch the tool under the "it's the right
thing to do, and nobody else is gonna do it" doctrine.

Besides, if it goes chassis hot I might be the first one to touch it
accidentally. And trust me, that is never a fun feeling.

-- Bruce --

I was down in a shop in Tustin a few years back, checking out a Smith
Lehman lathe...8" spindle bore. I was laying on my back on a concrete
floor, meter in hand checking something, and reached up and grabbed the
machine to pull myself up..and ZAPPPPPP!

There I was, doing a pretty good imitation of a marlin on 200 lb test
and one of the guys came over and kicked my arm hard enough to break my
grip.

The owner came running over about the same time, busted into a hard
sweat.

After laying there a minute or two, getting the ol heart beat back to
somewhere close to normal...I told him it really needed a decent ground,
after I found out where the short to machine was, and that plastic
really didnt make good machine feet insulators if he didnt have a good
ground. I killed power, found the problem, repaired it, installed a
good ground (he was using 3 wire instead of 4 wire) and installed a new
cable up to the disconnect on the wall. And a good ground.

One of the operators commented...."ya know...I tot I vas feeling a
little tingle ven I cranked da levers..but only ven I vor my going home
shoes (leather soles)"

Crom but I hate cheap *******s.

Glad to hear that you survived it. So, what's the standard upcharge
for being electrocuted by your client? An extra day's work?

--
Adults are obsolete children. --Dr. Seuss (Theodore Geisel, 1904-1991)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Shrug..that was in the Good Times..so I only charged him for the extra
hour or so that it took, plus cost of materials.

Today..that would cost him another 5 hours

Gunner

--
Adults are obsolete children. --Dr. Seuss (Theodore Geisel, 1904-1991)

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost