Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default So So day in the shop.

Had to go in early today to change some wiring and piping in one of my assembly areas. Got
to come home that same amount of time earlier so it was shop time!

First order of business is to take some 3 3/4D 6061, chuck it up to clean up a saw cut for
a good registration surface. That went well.

Take it over to my recently, as in last Saturday purchased 4x6 bandsaw to cut off an inch
for a 5C collet closer handwheel. Chit, the round is too short. Need to find 3 3/4" of
something to keep that pivoting jaw square with stock. Took a while but I found it.

Change pulley step on motor for aluminum, drop saw down, go back in to my heated machine
room and watch Cavuto while I'm waiting.

Hear a noise like the saw stopped. Go out, yup, stopped, chit, cut at an angle. Pull up
saw, blade pulls out of guides. Putting blade back I see I have two much clearance on top
roller. Likely reason for angled cut. Correct that.

Turn stock over. You don't want to try to fix it from the previously cut side.

Start saw, go back in room, turn jaws around in 4 jaw chuck. Using the side for big stuff
to use the step for a registration surface.

Cut is uneventfull though half of it is crooked.

Chuck up sawed off portion. Use a step that doen't have the jaws hanging out of chuck
body, that always makes me nervous.

Face off the saw cut side.

Start drilling/boring out center in preparation to thread it. Make a few passes and
suddenly, I realize I might be getting close contacting the inner most jaw surface. That
last pass ended 1/16" from boring my hard jaws. I got lucky on that one.

Moved part to innermost jaw step, that causes the other ends to hang out a bit more than I
like and then decided to head in and start dinner.

I had fun and thankfully didn't bore out my hard jaws.

I'll try to find time for OT after I eat.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
[...]

Only shop time I got today was to make a pin spanner so I could get the
(radiator) fan off my S-I-L's Dodge truck . Today the fan , tomorrow the
water pump !
--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote:

Only shop time I got today was to make a pin spanner so I could get the
(radiator) fan off my S-I-L's Dodge truck . Today the fan , tomorrow the
water pump !

But you could make it. At least 30 bucks still in your pocket. You had a good day

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
"Snag" wrote:

Only shop time I got today was to make a pin spanner so I could get
the (radiator) fan off my S-I-L's Dodge truck . Today the fan ,
tomorrow the water pump !

But you could make it. At least 30 bucks still in your pocket. You
had a good day

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Well , there is that ... having a few tools out in the shed has made a world
of difference in what I'll tackle .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 23, 2:59*pm, Wes wrote:
[...]

Did you put a new blade in the saw? If it is old and you have not used
it before, it may have the teeth stripped back on one side. There is
NOTHING you can do to make that blade cut straight. Gee, I would have
thought you would watch it cut clear through several times before you
let it run on it's own.

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote:

Did you put a new blade in the saw? If it is old and you have not used
it before, it may have the teeth stripped back on one side. There is
NOTHING you can do to make that blade cut straight. Gee, I would have
thought you would watch it cut clear through several times before you
let it run on it's own.

I did a few test cuts earlier and it was working okay.

As to the blade, I have two Irwin varipitch bimetals that should arrive today and the
original will head to the trash bin.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 24, 4:39*am, Wes wrote:

As to the blade, I have two Irwin varipitch bimetals that should arrive today and the
original will head to the trash bin. *

Wes

You could keep it to check mystery metal for excessive hardness. I
wire tags to my spare and used blades giving their tooth pitch and a
brief description of their condition.

Has anyone used Sandvik Cobra blades? I found a discounted bunch of
sharp but lightly rusted ones.
Like this:
http://www.aecinj.com/servlet/the-47...42-Band/Detail

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

You could keep it to check mystery metal for excessive hardness. I
wire tags to my spare and used blades giving their tooth pitch and a
brief description of their condition.

You have a point there. I'll keep it around for a bit for iffy cuts.

Didn't get a chance to try out my Irwin M42 bimetal blades that were on my door step. Darn
Dishplayer had a hosed hard drive. Took me hours to find the drive I cloned for it years
ago. Oh well, I can once again pause tv and record shows while I'm at work.

Has anyone used Sandvik Cobra blades? I found a discounted bunch of
sharp but lightly rusted ones.
Like this:
http://www.aecinj.com/servlet/the-47...42-Band/Detail

Sandvik is a major player. They make good tooling. We seem to be on a Kennametal kick at
work but I notice we have a lot of sandvik in stock. Likely a pricing issue rather than a
performance issue. I work for a manufacturing concern.