Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drop in December new-home sales fuels concern over recent gains US economy grows at fastest rate in 6 years

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

There's no comparison between the total war of WWII and anything we might
engage in against one country the size of Iran, or even the whole Middle
East. Hell, Bush didn't even raise taxes for Iraq. He told us not to upset
anything, and to keep spending at the mall.

I believe the keep spending at the mall comment was in reaction to 9/11. Perhaps he knew
just how much our economy relied on consumer spending?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

There's no comparison between the total war of WWII and anything we might
engage in against one country the size of Iran, or even the whole Middle
East. Hell, Bush didn't even raise taxes for Iraq. He told us not to upset
anything, and to keep spending at the mall.

I believe the keep spending at the mall comment was in reaction to 9/11.
Perhaps he knew
just how much our economy relied on consumer spending?

Wes

Perhaps he knew that he didn't have enough support to put the country on a
war footing, asking for sacrifices.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drop in December new-home sales fuels concern over recent gains

I believe the keep spending at the mall comment was in reaction to 9/11.
Perhaps he knew
just how much our economy relied on consumer spending?

Perhaps he knew that he didn't have enough support to put the country on a
war footing, asking for sacrifices.

Gentlemen, the government needs tax money to afford the battle groups,
fighter wings, and ground formations. Government does not produce wealth
(printing aside), the private sector does. Our total economy is large
enough to afford porkbarrel stuff plus the military.

Patriots, to the malls, forward, march!

What are the constitutional expenditures that government should be
paying, that's entirely another question.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Louis Ohland" wrote in message
I believe the keep spending at the mall comment was in reaction to 9/11.
Perhaps he knew
just how much our economy relied on consumer spending?

Perhaps he knew that he didn't have enough support to put the country on
war footing, asking for sacrifices.

Gentlemen, the government needs tax money to afford the battle groups,
fighter wings, and ground formations. Government does not produce wealth
(printing aside), the private sector does. Our total economy is large
enough to afford porkbarrel stuff plus the military.

Patriots, to the malls, forward, march!

But we haven't paid the taxes yet. The war was put on our children's tab.

Deficit spending is something you do to stimulate a recessionary economy.
Deficit spending at other times is stupid or deceitful.

What are the constitutional expenditures that government should be
paying, that's entirely another question.

Whatever we want to. We adhere to the Hamiltonian interpretation of the
necessary and proper clause.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Louis Ohland wrote:

Gentlemen, the government needs tax money to afford the battle groups,
fighter wings, and ground formations. Government does not produce wealth
(printing aside), the private sector does. Our total economy is large
enough to afford porkbarrel stuff plus the military.

Patriots, to the malls, forward, march!

Just look at the nation of origin tags and pick USA before buying

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

I believe the keep spending at the mall comment was in reaction to 9/11.
Perhaps he knew
just how much our economy relied on consumer spending?

Wes

Perhaps he knew that he didn't have enough support to put the country on a
war footing, asking for sacrifices.

That is possible.

I'm a big fan of Ron Paul, who won the straw vote at the recent CPAC convention, he has
held the position that for the US to get into a foreign conflict, Congress should have to
declare war with all that entails. I agree with him on that.

WWII was the last time we did it right.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

I believe the keep spending at the mall comment was in reaction to 9/11.
Perhaps he knew
just how much our economy relied on consumer spending?

Wes

Perhaps he knew that he didn't have enough support to put the country on a
war footing, asking for sacrifices.

That is possible.

I'm a big fan of Ron Paul...

That distresses me. He's written five or six books promoting Austrian
School/Hayakian economics and they're exactly what you'd expect from a
medical doctor who does fringe economics, or voodoo, for a hobby. The
thought of that man in charge of the economy scares the hell out of me. d8-)

...who won the straw vote at the recent CPAC convention...

That doesn't surprise me.

... he has
held the position that for the US to get into a foreign conflict, Congress
should have to
declare war with all that entails. I agree with him on that.

There are good policy articles on that subject that have been published over
the past five years or so. The experts say it's a good idea but it's
impossible today. Things happen too fast; we seldom fight legitimate
governments anymore, they're flaky and require instant reaction; and there
are other issues. I sympathize with your position but my sense is that most
of us don't have a realistic sense of what's involved.

WWII was the last time we did it right.

It also was the last time we had real governments to fight against, which
had real armies, in all-out wars without a threat of starting a nuclear
holocaust lurking in the background.

--
Ed Huntress