Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cleaning up the shop

"F. George McDuffee" wrote

An example
of this was the severe shortage of "rough necks"/"floor workers"
during the last U. S. oil boomlet a few years ago.

Unka George (George McDuffee)

I worked as a crane operator on a drilling rig in the Gulf of Mexico. The
starter job roustabouts (laborers) in my crew could take classes, and move
up to the floor for about $200 a week more. Most took it, but some didn't
want anything close to that floor. A good "hand" (worker) takes a while to
train, and IF they don't get mangled first, figure out fast that it ain't
all it's put up to be on TV. Cold. Wet. Dirty filthy work. They then may
go up to pump man, derrick man, or even driller or mud man.

It's hard to find men who are willing to put up with conditions like that
even for what they pay. Which is pretty decent, yet with the disruptive
on/off scheduling, and working two weeks out of four, it doesn't add up to
as much as a decent job onshore. And then there's going away from wife and
kids for a week or more at a time.

I'm speaking of the time frame I was there from '74 to '80 when it was like
Gold Rush Days, and jobs were plentiful.

Never knew who would show up, who would stay, who would get hurt, so you
just managed from there and did the best with what you had to work with.

It's very easy to lose body parts on a drill floor. The heavy metal is
unforgiving, and everything is heavy.

And today, it is VERY difficult to find people who want to work HARD. I'd
underscore HARD, but can't. It's hard to comprehend unless you've been
there.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 12:30:19 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

[...]

Ive worked floor, derricks, mud and pits
Ive worked workover and drilling

Some rigs work harder than others..I always liked working with old guys.
I learned a hell of a lot more about getting the job done, but not
breaking ones back or losing a body part, then I ever did with a young
crew.

And yes...its Hard work.

And Ive bailed out of the derrick of a triple on the safety wire, with
the rig starting to blow and burn behind me.

Gunner

The current Democratic party has lost its ideological basis for
existence.
- It is NOT fiscally responsible.
- It is NOT ethically honorable.
- It has started wars based on lies.
- It does not support the well-being of americans - only billionaires.
- It has suppresed constitutional guaranteed liberties.
- It has foisted a liar as president upon America.
- It has violated US national sovereignty in trade treaties.
- It has refused to enforce the national borders.

....It no longer has valid reasons to exist.
Lorad474