Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Steam Gauge

I have an antique steam gauge well over 100 years old. I need to remove
the bezel to clean the inside of the glass. It is threaded on. I tried
Kroil to no avail. I have a flex heat strip around the threaded area and
have heated it for several hours. Again to no avail. It seems that over
the years oil has seeped into the threads and turned to varnish. Any
suggestions? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chuck P.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 18:04:41 -0800, Pilgrim wrote:

I have an antique steam gauge well over 100 years old. I need to remove
the bezel to clean the inside of the glass. It is threaded on. I tried
Kroil to no avail. I have a flex heat strip around the threaded area and
have heated it for several hours. Again to no avail. It seems that over
the years oil has seeped into the threads and turned to varnish. Any
suggestions? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chuck P.

More time? I always screw up the patience thing, and end up with broken
bits that show me how I could have done it right with a bit more care.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have an antique steam gauge well over 100 years old. I need to remove
the bezel to clean the inside of the glass. It is threaded on. I tried
Kroil to no avail. I have a flex heat strip around the threaded area and
have heated it for several hours. Again to no avail. It seems that over
the years oil has seeped into the threads and turned to varnish. Any
suggestions? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chuck P.

Try WD-40. It isn't nearly as good as Kroil against rust, but it may
have solvent properties that will work better in your situation. Give
it a few days, it took 100 years to get stuck.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have an antique steam gauge well over 100 years old. I need to remove
the bezel to clean the inside of the glass. It is threaded on. I tried
Kroil to no avail. I have a flex heat strip around the threaded area and
have heated it for several hours. Again to no avail. It seems that over
the years oil has seeped into the threads and turned to varnish. Any
suggestions? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chuck P.

Try WD-40. It isn't nearly as good as Kroil against rust, but it may
have solvent properties that will work better in your situation. Give
it a few days, it took 100 years to get stuck.

Will it take the heat from a torch without damage? I've removed some
fabulously stuck things by gently heating with a torch then hitting it with
WD40. BEWARE lots o' nasty smoke.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 18:04:41 -0800, Pilgrim wrote:

I have an antique steam gauge well over 100 years old. I need to remove
the bezel to clean the inside of the glass. It is threaded on. I tried
Kroil to no avail. I have a flex heat strip around the threaded area and
have heated it for several hours. Again to no avail. It seems that over
the years oil has seeped into the threads and turned to varnish. Any
suggestions? Any help will be appreciated.

Large hose-clamp with a leather scrap between it and the bezel, same if
necessary to grip the other end; get a pair of smaller hose-clamps close
together at 90 degrees to the big one and tighten them to whatever bit of
bar you decide to use as your persuader(s). That'll let you apply lots of
torque with minimum worry about marking or distortion.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Cydrome Leader wrote:

Pilgrim wrote:
I have an antique steam gauge well over 100 years old. I need to remove
the bezel to clean the inside of the glass. It is threaded on. I tried
Kroil to no avail. I have a flex heat strip around the threaded area and
have heated it for several hours. Again to no avail. It seems that over
the years oil has seeped into the threads and turned to varnish. Any
suggestions? Any help will be appreciated.

What materials are the parts you are trying to separate?

brass on brass about 6 inches in dia. with the glass face.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 04:44:04 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I have an antique steam gauge well over 100 years old. I need to remove
the bezel to clean the inside of the glass. It is threaded on. I tried
Kroil to no avail. I have a flex heat strip around the threaded area and
have heated it for several hours. Again to no avail. It seems that over
the years oil has seeped into the threads and turned to varnish. Any
suggestions? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chuck P.

Try WD-40. It isn't nearly as good as Kroil against rust, but it may
have solvent properties that will work better in your situation. Give
it a few days, it took 100 years to get stuck.

Will it take the heat from a torch without damage? I've removed some
fabulously stuck things by gently heating with a torch then hitting it with
WD40. BEWARE lots o' nasty smoke.

Brass bezel and body, no problem. The glass crystal, however...

No, nice idea, but not here. Unless that glass is old-style Pyrex.

-- Bruce --