Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RWL RWL is offline

Default Price check Iggy, Gunner, et al.

What's the going price for a KO Lee tool & cutter grinder with some
tooling?
Specifically it's a Model 960 from probably 1966. The head does not
tilt and the ways are V ways, not ball bearings. The known tooling is
an "air bearing" fixture to sharpen end mills. There probably is a
fixture to turn lathe centers. Not sure what else is there. It's
coming out of a shop that's closing. I have not seen it yet, but hope
to do that Friday. eBay is no help - dealers listing machines at
inflated prices that never sell. Second,what do you think the odds
are that there would be a small clientelle of hobbyists that want
things sharpened so that I could pay for this thing over time? We all
see old end mills, taps and other cutting tools at flea markets that
are dull but would work if resharpened. I'm not thinking of making a
lot of money, but maybe $2 to $5 a cutter on average.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 05:34:52 -0800 (PST), RWL wrote:

[...]

Sorry to have been away in LA. Did ya get it?

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the
means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not
making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of
it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different
countries, that the more public provisions were made for the
poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became
poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the
more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin
Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 13:44:52 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 05:34:52 -0800 (PST), RWL wrote:

What's the going price for a KO Lee tool & cutter grinder with some
tooling?

RWL

Sorry to have been away in LA. Did ya get it?

Gunner

Nope. The seller cancelled the visit when I told him I was thinking
in the $500 range and his starting price was $3000. His isn't the
only machine in the US.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 05:34:52 -0800 (PST), RWL wrote:

What's the going price for a KO Lee tool & cutter grinder with some
tooling?

RWL

Sorry to have been away in LA. Did ya get it?

Gunner

Nope. The seller cancelled the visit when I told him I was thinking
in the $500 range and his starting price was $3000. His isn't the
only machine in the US.

RWL

Sounds like he is living in a very sheltered location..or his own
private fantasy world. Or the thing is brand new. Shrug

Which part of the US do you live in? Ill look around a bit.

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the
means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not
making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of
it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different
countries, that the more public provisions were made for the
poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became
poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the
more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin
Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Nope. The seller cancelled the visit when I told him I was thinking
in the $500 range and his starting price was $3000. His isn't the
only machine in the US.

RWL

Sounds like he is living in a very sheltered location..or his own
private fantasy world. Or the thing is brand new. Shrug

Which part of the US do you live in? Ill look around a bit.

Gunner

Thanks, but probably not economically feasible. I'm in central PA. I
don't see them very often on the Craigslists near me, but they do show
up.
The guy that cancelled the visit lived outside Philadelphia. A dealer
in the Scranton area gave me a rough quote of $1500 for a tooled
K.O.Lee that he's waiting to arrive when the riggers get it out of the
factory.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-01-18, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane wrote:

Nope. The seller cancelled the visit when I told him I was thinking
in the $500 range and his starting price was $3000. His isn't the
only machine in the US.

RWL

Sounds like he is living in a very sheltered location..or his own
private fantasy world. Or the thing is brand new. Shrug

Which part of the US do you live in? Ill look around a bit.

Gunner

Thanks, but probably not economically feasible. I'm in central PA. I
don't see them very often on the Craigslists near me, but they do show
up.
The guy that cancelled the visit lived outside Philadelphia. A dealer
in the Scranton area gave me a rough quote of $1500 for a tooled
K.O.Lee that he's waiting to arrive when the riggers get it out of the
factory.

I have never found a way to get such sellers back in touch with
reality. Fortunately, with enough looking, you can find truly great
deals.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 22:37:15 -0600, Ignoramus15099
On 2010-01-18, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane wrote:

[...]

The only way I've found is to inform them of the reality of the
marketplace - with enough details and facts to convince them you
aren't bull****ting, and leave your name and number.

When they get tired of sitting on the grinder (or whatever) at their
price, they may come down to yours.

They put a $25 price tag on an empty fire extinguisher that is $40
brand new, and will need a $25 Hydro and fill to put in service. I
had a few realistic "Okay, then how's $2.50?" counter-offers, and a
few who thought I was trying to cheat them. Their loss.

Can't even do that anymore, because now any extinguisher over ~25
years old (1981?) is trash. "Doesn't meet the current labeling
requirements" and no shop can legally fill them. (Don't worry, we'll
gladly sell you a new one!)

Unless you are buying an antique brass Soda-Water flip-and-bounce to
make into a table lamp, it's just an old pressure cylinder that cant
really be repurposed. Or like that Tool & Cutter Grinder, a piece of
gear that is rarely needed anymore outside a museum or a hobby shop.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 23:20:04 -0500, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at
PTD dot NET wrote:

[...]

Mine has the air floated endmill/drill sharpener, the second motorized
turning fixture and something else I cant remember..a big fixture of
some sort. Got about 50 wheels of all sorts, cups, various other
wheels, diamond..oh..also got a electric magnetic chuck as well, but
since I have the big 618 surface grinder..never use it.

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the
means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not
making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of
it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different
countries, that the more public provisions were made for the
poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became
poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the
more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin
Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

What's that Lassie? You say that Bruce L. Bergman fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Sun, 17 Jan 2010 21:54:25 -0800:

Unless you are buying an antique brass Soda-Water flip-and-bounce to
make into a table lamp, it's just an old pressure cylinder that cant
really be repurposed.

Are you kidding?!? I made a flame thrower when I was 16 out of and
old fire extinguisher. I used diesel thank goodness.

I also tried to make whipped cream in one too. Not as successful as
the flame thrower.

I used one as an air tank so I could have an air horn (from a train)
in my car. (may have been the same extinguisher from the flame
thrower)
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.