Fred

Default loft insulation price check

Had a loft insulation survey done this morning, 4-bed house plus side
walls of attic bedroom, three hatches, two tanks. It came to using
roughly 55m of 200mm insulation material to top up existing
insulation. The quote is for 255 pounds and that includes a 40% from
my energy supplier.

Does that sound reasonable or should I seek out further quotations
from suppliers not subcontracted by my energy supplier (Scott Power
btw).

Fred
Ian Stirling

Fred wrote:
Had a loft insulation survey done this morning, 4-bed house plus side
walls of attic bedroom, three hatches, two tanks. It came to using
roughly 55m of 200mm insulation material to top up existing
insulation. The quote is for 255 pounds and that includes a 40% from
my energy supplier.

Does that sound reasonable or should I seek out further quotations
from suppliers not subcontracted by my energy supplier (Scott Power
btw).

What's the existing insulation?
How long do you plan to stay in the property?
What's your annual heating bill?
How much of the house heat is lost through the roof.

It may not be economically worth insulating.
Especially if yours is an older structure, where though the roof has far
less than currently recommended levels, there isn't much point, as most
of the heat goes out the walls.
Fred

Ian Stirling wrote:

Fred wrote:
Had a loft insulation survey done this morning, 4-bed house plus side
walls of attic bedroom, three hatches, two tanks. It came to using
roughly 55m of 200mm insulation material to top up existing
insulation. The quote is for 255 pounds and that includes a 40% from
my energy supplier.

Does that sound reasonable or should I seek out further quotations
from suppliers not subcontracted by my energy supplier (Scott Power
btw).

What's the existing insulation?
How long do you plan to stay in the property?
What's your annual heating bill?
How much of the house heat is lost through the roof.

It may not be economically worth insulating.
Especially if yours is an older structure, where though the roof has far
less than currently recommended levels, there isn't much point, as most
of the heat goes out the walls.

Old house, no cavity insulation. Existing is virtually nothing (5mm
very old and flat). We plan to stay a while, annual heating bill is
unknown as we recently moved in. How much heat loss is not for us to
tell, with it being a terrace, I expect that windows and roof account
for most of the heat loss. The attic bedroom is totally exposed,
hence, only barely habitable without some form of insulation that
keeps out the cold - the radiator can only do so much.

Fred

Do you have Past Woodpeck Weekly Special Email? Jeremy Woodworking 2 August 8th 04 03:24 AM
Loft insulation David Hearn UK diy 26 November 10th 03 08:17 PM
Boarding a loft & insulation Wordy UK diy 13 November 4th 03 12:50 AM
Electrical wire over or under loft insulation??????? Please help! Laurie UK diy 5 August 25th 03 10:31 PM
Loft insulation Conrad Edwards UK diy 0 August 25th 03 09:57 PM