Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 45 ACP ammo

Wes wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

So, painting the weights wasn't cost effective?

How would painting the weights prevent them from being ground up and
dissolved into the water table?
That, apparently, is what happens and is why the EU, Korea, Japan
and others have banned them.

Ground up? Recycled yes.

Smelters and flaking lead paint seems like a major source.

http://www.urisa.org/Journal/protect...th%20pages.pdf

"Estimates show that 500,000 pounds of lead is released into California's
environment annually from wheel weights that fall off of vehicles. Lead from
wheel weights can also be tracked into people's homes, especially those who
live near busy streets. Wheel weights can be made of other materials (for
example, steel and zinc), and lead has been banned in wheel weights in the
European Union since 2005."

http://cehca.nonprofitsoapbox.com/st...settlement.pdf

I wonder how long it will take for RoHS type laws to outlaw bullets?

Were #500,000 of lead to end up in the water supply here the same way wheel
weights do, the problem won't be bullets affecting the drinking water.

California is an important agricultural resource for the US, Wes. We export
billions of dollars of food every year so water quality is important to us.

--
John R. Carroll

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

"Estimates show that 500,000 pounds of lead is released into California's
environment annually from wheel weights that fall off of vehicles. Lead from
wheel weights can also be tracked into people's homes, especially those who
live near busy streets. Wheel weights can be made of other materials (for
example, steel and zinc), and lead has been banned in wheel weights in the
European Union since 2005."

Something seems wrong with that number. A 3 oz weight is huge and 1 oz seems to be
normal in my experience.

So for a given vehicle there could be 4 to 12 oz of weight. The population is 36 million.

Total number of cars, trucks, semis 243M for the US

Say 24.3M based on percentage of population and for that figure to be true, then all the
wheelweights on 2.7 to 8.2% of california vehicles fall off each year.

Seems a bit fancifull to me.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

[...]

Is that allowed?

Hey!

Are we allowed to do that anymore?

Thinking!

Shame on you, Wes!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb wrote:
Wes wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

"Estimates show that 500,000 pounds of lead is released into
California's environment annually from wheel weights that fall off
of vehicles. Lead from wheel weights can also be tracked into
people's homes, especially those who live near busy streets. Wheel
weights can be made of other materials (for example, steel and
zinc), and lead has been banned in wheel weights in the European
Union since 2005."

Something seems wrong with that number. A 3 oz weight is huge and
1 oz seems to be normal in my experience.

OK, but Chrysler says the average is 2 Oz.

So for a given vehicle there could be 4 to 12 oz of weight. The
population is 36 million.

Total number of cars, trucks, semis 243M for the US

Say 24.3M based on percentage of population and for that figure to
be true, then all the wheelweights on 2.7 to 8.2% of california
vehicles fall off each year.

Seems a bit fancifull to me.

Wes

Is that allowed?

Hey!

Are we allowed to do that anymore?

Thinking!

Shame on you, Wes!

There are nearly 50 million passenger vehicles registered in California
counting PNO's.
He could just have read the study linked to in my post.
Perhaps he even did.

(50,000,000 X 4 X 2)/16=25,000,000 pounds of wheel weights on the road at
any one time.

500,000/25,000,000= .02 or 2 percent.
Yeah, I'd say that one in 50 wheels here loses it's weights.
Hell, two percent of the vehicles in California are probably STOLEN every
year.
LOL

--
John R. Carroll

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 30, 12:55*am, "John R. Carroll"
Yeah, I'd say that one in 50 wheels here loses it's weights.

--
John R. Carroll

One in 50 wheels would mean that one car in about 12 loses a wheel
weight annually. That seems pretty high to me. My estimate would be
more like one car in thirty or less loses a wheel weight in the three
or four years that a tire lasts. So my estimate is at least an order
of magnitude lower.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Dec 30, 12:55 am, "John R. Carroll"
Yeah, I'd say that one in 50 wheels here loses it's weights.

--
John R. Carroll

One in 50 wheels would mean that one car in about 12 loses a wheel
weight annually. That seems pretty high to me. My estimate would be
more like one car in thirty or less loses a wheel weight in the three
or four years that a tire lasts. So my estimate is at least an order
of magnitude lower.

Dan

EPA estimates that 1.6 mllion pounds of wheel weights are lost from wheels
in the US annually. I think they're getting their data from several studies,
including one report by the Ecology Center that summarizes several other
studies:

http://www.epa.gov/waste/hazard/wastemin/nlfwwi.htm

http://www.leadfreewheels.org/LeadWheelWeightDocs.pdf

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 18:31:25 -0500, Wes wrote:

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

[...]

Another question - does the fact that a wheel weight falls off mean
that it somehow immediately enters the food/water chain?

My own experience is that wheel weights seldom (in my case never) fall
off. How many have encountered a sudden imbalance of a wheel and
discovered the wheel weights gone?

Regards,

J.B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Might happen in bad neighborhoods? Wheel weight theft, along
with copper and air conditioning units?

Which can be reduced, by proper application of .45 ACP ammo,
to get back to the thread. If you can find ACP at the store,
of course.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Eregon" wrote in message
wrote in
4ax.com:

How many have encountered a sudden imbalance of a wheel
and
discovered the wheel weights gone?

None that I've ever heard of in Texas but, in the Peoples'
Republik of
Kaliphornea (where the Highway Dept. INSTALLS potholes),
anything may be
possible...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 08:42:59 -0600, RBnDFW

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

[...]

I suggest you try walking down the shoulder of a busy highway for a 100
yards or so. I bet you will easily find several lead wheel weights

Do you drive? How often do the wheel weights fall off your auto? To
the best of my knowledge I have never had a wheel weight fall off. At
least I never had the experience of a wheel suddenly start shaking and
the guy at the balancing place say, "Gee Mister, your balancing
weights have come off."

Regards,

J.B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

[...]

I've thrown a few over the years. I know to mark the wheel when I
balance them now.

Then there's the time my wife had a wheel weight fall on her head while
watching an Indycar (then CART) race in Houston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 07:49:02 +0700, the infamous
scrawled the following:

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

[...]

I've had one weight come off in about 40 years of driving. I think I
know two other people who have had that happen to them, too. 3 in 120
years of driving? It's not as common as some people seem to think.

Hmm, do you think that the lead alarmists might be getting their data
from the AGWK stats alarmist folks, like the CRU? That might answer
the riddle.

--
Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven.
Gee, ain't religion GREAT?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

"Estimates show that 500,000 pounds of lead is released into California's
environment annually from wheel weights that fall off of vehicles. Lead from
wheel weights can also be tracked into people's homes, especially those who
live near busy streets. Wheel weights can be made of other materials (for
example, steel and zinc), and lead has been banned in wheel weights in the
European Union since 2005."

Something seems wrong with that number. A 3 oz weight is huge and 1 oz seems to be
normal in my experience.

So for a given vehicle there could be 4 to 12 oz of weight. The population is 36 million.

Total number of cars, trucks, semis 243M for the US

Say 24.3M based on percentage of population and for that figure to be true, then all the
wheelweights on 2.7 to 8.2% of california vehicles fall off each year.

Seems a bit fancifull to me.

No, there is a good quantity of weights that get flung on the road
each year but probably not THAT much - remember, Greenies always
estimate way high to drive home their "The Sky is Falling! It's
FALLING!" message.

Though we'll never know for sure, there's no way to account for
disparities between what gets sold as new weights and what gets
recycled - there are too many wheel weights that get recycled by local
bullet casters and keel-makers. Or that get into junkyards when the
car gets ground up and sent to china as cullet, or...

But there's a huge difference between a weight falling off and
bouncing to the side of the road, and "entering the food chain".

As a solid, an animal would have to eat AND RETAIN it for the lead
to leach into their system. I'd think they would be the wrong shape
and size for Gizzard Stones in anything but the largest birds.

I'm betting 90% of them get picked up by the sweepers, or stay in the
immediate shoulder area where they are fairly benign.

Another question - does the fact that a wheel weight falls off mean
that it somehow immediately enters the food/water chain?

My own experience is that wheel weights seldom (in my case never) fall
off. How many have encountered a sudden imbalance of a wheel and
discovered the wheel weights gone?

Several times over my driving career. If you are paying attention,
you'll hear the BANG! as the wheel weight pops loose and bounces off
the fender liner (especially if it was an 'inner' weight) and then
you'll notice a mild vibration at certain speeds.

Then you go by the tire shop and have them spin it on the balance
machine just as it is - the suspiciously clean spot on the rim edge is
the exact length and location of the replacement weight they hammer
on, spin it again and the indicator zeroes out perfectly.

On something small like the 13" wheels on my Corvair or B210 you can
barely tell, but the vibration is noticeable - and annoying.

When it's on the Work Truck with the huge LT245/75R16/E gunboats you
lose a 2-ounce plus wheel weight and you KNOW it. It starts dancing
the watusi at the resonant speed.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

"Estimates show that 500,000 pounds of lead is released into
California's environment annually from wheel weights that fall off
of vehicles. Lead from wheel weights can also be tracked into
people's homes, especially those who live near busy streets. Wheel
weights can be made of other materials (for example, steel and
zinc), and lead has been banned in wheel weights in the European
Union since 2005."

Something seems wrong with that number.

Ok.
Take that up with Chrysler.

Total number of cars, trucks, semis 243M for the US

Say 24.3M based on percentage of population and for that figure to be
true, then all the wheelweights on 2.7 to 8.2% of california vehicles
fall off each year.

Seems a bit fancifull to me.

Fanciful is rebuilding a lathe you could have just bought for 20 grand and
it would have been a CNC.

--
John R. Carroll

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

Seems a bit fancifull to me.

Fanciful is rebuilding a lathe you could have just bought for 20 grand and
it would have been a CNC.

? You have me mixed up with someone else?

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I just hate it when I take my boots off, and find a half
dozen wheel weights.

So, where is all the lead before it's mined, and smelted,
and molded into wheel weights? Not in the environment, I
hope?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"John R. Carroll" wrote in message

"Estimates show that 500,000 pounds of lead is released into
California's
environment annually from wheel weights that fall off of
vehicles. Lead from
wheel weights can also be tracked into people's homes,
especially those who
live near busy streets. Wheel weights can be made of other
materials (for
example, steel and zinc), and lead has been banned in wheel
weights in the
European Union since 2005."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I just hate it when I take my boots off, and find a half
dozen wheel weights.

So, where is all the lead before it's mined, and smelted,
and molded into wheel weights? Not in the environment, I
hope?

Right next to all of the Uranium that isn't in the environment either.
LOL

--
John R. Carroll

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

I just hate it when I take my boots off, and find a half
dozen wheel weights.

The reason I take a critical view on the claim of 500,000 lbs a year is I used to ride
bicycles alot. For income as a kid delivering papers and in cross state tours as a
bicyclist. I'll stop to pick up a wheel weight since I'm a bullet caster. Much like a
serious fly fisherman that ties his or hers own flies will stop to harvest road kill.

I've found more tools and cash than wheel weights.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 45 ACP ammo (and what's along the road)

I knew a guy who used to find all kinds of things. He walked
and biked most of his life, and always happy to stop and
pick up stuff. I remember the one time we were driving down
the road about 35 MPH, and he hollered at me to stop. I did,
he jumped out and ran back. Came back into the car with a
pair of needle nose pliers that were in the road.

The one time I took my van to the repair shop, and then
hoofed home. I found a bunch of wire nuts, which was better
than nothing.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Wes" wrote in message
news "Stormin Mormon" wrote:

I just hate it when I take my boots off, and find a half
dozen wheel weights.

The reason I take a critical view on the claim of 500,000
lbs a year is I used to ride
bicycles alot. For income as a kid delivering papers and in
cross state tours as a
bicyclist. I'll stop to pick up a wheel weight since I'm a
bullet caster. Much like a
serious fly fisherman that ties his or hers own flies will
stop to harvest road kill.

I've found more tools and cash than wheel weights.

Wes
--
"Additionally as a security officer, I carry a gun to
protect

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

The one time I took my van to the repair shop, and then
hoofed home. I found a bunch of wire nuts, which was better
than nothing

Found a 1/4" breaker bar a couple months ago. That was from my car.

Almost hit a pipe vise once with my truck. Must have fell off a welding truck step
bumper. Picked it up, stuck it in my truck box and gave it to my brother in law who
worked where I was working at the time. That is my best score. Well my brother in laws
score

WEs
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

.

"Wes" wrote in message
news "Stormin Mormon" wrote:

I just hate it when I take my boots off, and find a half
dozen wheel weights.

The reason I take a critical view on the claim of 500,000
lbs a year is I used to ride
bicycles alot. For income as a kid delivering papers and in
cross state tours as a
bicyclist. I'll stop to pick up a wheel weight since I'm a
bullet caster. Much like a
serious fly fisherman that ties his or hers own flies will
stop to harvest road kill.

I've found more tools and cash than wheel weights.

Wes

One Saturday morning shopping tour (yard saleing) on my way back to
the car, something on the road caught my eye, so I scooped it into my
pocket. Next stop, I took a look at the $20 bill folded over a $50
bill. Best bargain of the summer!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
news
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

I just hate it when I take my boots off, and find a half
dozen wheel weights.

The reason I take a critical view on the claim of 500,000 lbs a year is I
used to ride
bicycles alot. For income as a kid delivering papers and in cross state
tours as a
bicyclist. I'll stop to pick up a wheel weight since I'm a bullet caster.
Much like a
serious fly fisherman that ties his or hers own flies will stop to harvest
road kill.

I've found more tools and cash than wheel weights.

Wes

Try walking down the shoulder of a road with a metal detector. That's how a
friend of mine used to gather his wheel weights for casting sinkers. Most of
them are covered up after a heavy rain.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Try walking down the shoulder of a road with a metal detector. That's how a
friend of mine used to gather his wheel weights for casting sinkers. Most of
them are covered up after a heavy rain.

Snow cover is a bit thick right now. Jog my mind after the spring thaw.