DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   45 ACP ammo (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/295019-re-45-acp-ammo.html)

John R. Carroll[_3_] December 29th 09 03:11 PM

45 ACP ammo

Wes wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

So, painting the weights wasn't cost effective?

How would painting the weights prevent them from being ground up and
dissolved into the water table?
That, apparently, is what happens and is why the EU, Korea, Japan
and others have banned them.

Ground up? Recycled yes.

Smelters and flaking lead paint seems like a major source.

http://www.urisa.org/Journal/protect...th%20pages.pdf

"Estimates show that 500,000 pounds of lead is released into California's
environment annually from wheel weights that fall off of vehicles. Lead from
wheel weights can also be tracked into people's homes, especially those who
live near busy streets. Wheel weights can be made of other materials (for
example, steel and zinc), and lead has been banned in wheel weights in the
European Union since 2005."

http://cehca.nonprofitsoapbox.com/st...settlement.pdf

I wonder how long it will take for RoHS type laws to outlaw bullets?

Were #500,000 of lead to end up in the water supply here the same way wheel
weights do, the problem won't be bullets affecting the drinking water.

California is an important agricultural resource for the US, Wes. We export
billions of dollars of food every year so water quality is important to us.

--
John R. Carroll

Wes[_2_] December 29th 09 11:31 PM

45 ACP ammo

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

"Estimates show that 500,000 pounds of lead is released into California's
environment annually from wheel weights that fall off of vehicles. Lead from
wheel weights can also be tracked into people's homes, especially those who
live near busy streets. Wheel weights can be made of other materials (for
example, steel and zinc), and lead has been banned in wheel weights in the
European Union since 2005."

Something seems wrong with that number. A 3 oz weight is huge and 1 oz seems to be
normal in my experience.

So for a given vehicle there could be 4 to 12 oz of weight. The population is 36 million.

Total number of cars, trucks, semis 243M for the US

Say 24.3M based on percentage of population and for that figure to be true, then all the
wheelweights on 2.7 to 8.2% of california vehicles fall off each year.

Seems a bit fancifull to me.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

cavelamb December 29th 09 11:42 PM

45 ACP ammo

Wes wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

[...]

Is that allowed?

Hey!

Are we allowed to do that anymore?

Thinking!

Shame on you, Wes!

[email protected] December 30th 09 12:16 AM

45 ACP ammo

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 18:31:25 -0500, Wes wrote:

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

[...]

Another question - does the fact that a wheel weight falls off mean
that it somehow immediately enters the food/water chain?

My own experience is that wheel weights seldom (in my case never) fall
off. How many have encountered a sudden imbalance of a wheel and
discovered the wheel weights gone?

Regards,

J.B.

John R. Carroll[_3_] December 30th 09 12:55 AM

45 ACP ammo

cavelamb wrote:
Wes wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

"Estimates show that 500,000 pounds of lead is released into
California's environment annually from wheel weights that fall off
of vehicles. Lead from wheel weights can also be tracked into
people's homes, especially those who live near busy streets. Wheel
weights can be made of other materials (for example, steel and
zinc), and lead has been banned in wheel weights in the European
Union since 2005."

Something seems wrong with that number. A 3 oz weight is huge and
1 oz seems to be normal in my experience.

OK, but Chrysler says the average is 2 Oz.

So for a given vehicle there could be 4 to 12 oz of weight. The
population is 36 million.

Total number of cars, trucks, semis 243M for the US

Say 24.3M based on percentage of population and for that figure to
be true, then all the wheelweights on 2.7 to 8.2% of california
vehicles fall off each year.

Seems a bit fancifull to me.

Wes

Is that allowed?

Hey!

Are we allowed to do that anymore?

Thinking!

Shame on you, Wes!

There are nearly 50 million passenger vehicles registered in California
counting PNO's.
He could just have read the study linked to in my post.
Perhaps he even did.

(50,000,000 X 4 X 2)/16=25,000,000 pounds of wheel weights on the road at
any one time.

500,000/25,000,000= .02 or 2 percent.
Yeah, I'd say that one in 50 wheels here loses it's weights.
Hell, two percent of the vehicles in California are probably STOLEN every
year.
LOL

--
John R. Carroll

John R. Carroll[_3_] December 30th 09 12:57 AM

45 ACP ammo

Wes wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

"Estimates show that 500,000 pounds of lead is released into
California's environment annually from wheel weights that fall off
of vehicles. Lead from wheel weights can also be tracked into
people's homes, especially those who live near busy streets. Wheel
weights can be made of other materials (for example, steel and
zinc), and lead has been banned in wheel weights in the European
Union since 2005."

Something seems wrong with that number.

Ok.
Take that up with Chrysler.

Total number of cars, trucks, semis 243M for the US

Say 24.3M based on percentage of population and for that figure to be
true, then all the wheelweights on 2.7 to 8.2% of california vehicles
fall off each year.

Seems a bit fancifull to me.

Fanciful is rebuilding a lathe you could have just bought for 20 grand and
it would have been a CNC.

--
John R. Carroll

Wes[_2_] December 30th 09 02:11 AM

45 ACP ammo

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

Seems a bit fancifull to me.

Fanciful is rebuilding a lathe you could have just bought for 20 grand and
it would have been a CNC.

? You have me mixed up with someone else?

Eregon[_4_] December 30th 09 05:20 AM

45 ACP ammo

wrote in news:io6lj5tn3visf8umepkb1fbj28s1lpvlld@
4ax.com:

How many have encountered a sudden imbalance of a wheel and
discovered the wheel weights gone?

None that I've ever heard of in Texas but, in the Peoples' Republik of
Kaliphornea (where the Highway Dept. INSTALLS potholes), anything may be
possible...

RBnDFW December 30th 09 02:42 PM

45 ACP ammo

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

[...]

I suggest you try walking down the shoulder of a busy highway for a 100
yards or so. I bet you will easily find several lead wheel weights

Stormin Mormon December 30th 09 02:57 PM

45 ACP ammo

I just hate it when I take my boots off, and find a half
dozen wheel weights.

So, where is all the lead before it's mined, and smelted,
and molded into wheel weights? Not in the environment, I
hope?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon December 30th 09 02:59 PM

45 ACP ammo

Might happen in bad neighborhoods? Wheel weight theft, along
with copper and air conditioning units?

Which can be reduced, by proper application of .45 ACP ammo,
to get back to the thread. If you can find ACP at the store,
of course.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

John R. Carroll[_3_] December 30th 09 04:22 PM

45 ACP ammo

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I just hate it when I take my boots off, and find a half
dozen wheel weights.

So, where is all the lead before it's mined, and smelted,
and molded into wheel weights? Not in the environment, I
hope?

Right next to all of the Uranium that isn't in the environment either.
LOL

--
John R. Carroll

Wes[_2_] December 30th 09 11:46 PM

45 ACP ammo

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

I just hate it when I take my boots off, and find a half
dozen wheel weights.

The reason I take a critical view on the claim of 500,000 lbs a year is I used to ride
bicycles alot. For income as a kid delivering papers and in cross state tours as a
bicyclist. I'll stop to pick up a wheel weight since I'm a bullet caster. Much like a
serious fly fisherman that ties his or hers own flies will stop to harvest road kill.

I've found more tools and cash than wheel weights.

Stormin Mormon December 31st 09 12:07 AM

45 ACP ammo (and what's along the road)

I knew a guy who used to find all kinds of things. He walked
and biked most of his life, and always happy to stop and
pick up stuff. I remember the one time we were driving down
the road about 35 MPH, and he hollered at me to stop. I did,
he jumped out and ran back. Came back into the car with a
pair of needle nose pliers that were in the road.

The one time I took my van to the repair shop, and then
hoofed home. I found a bunch of wire nuts, which was better
than nothing.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Wes" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

I just hate it when I take my boots off, and find a half
dozen wheel weights.

The reason I take a critical view on the claim of 500,000
lbs a year is I used to ride
bicycles alot. For income as a kid delivering papers and in
cross state tours as a
bicyclist. I'll stop to pick up a wheel weight since I'm a
bullet caster. Much like a
serious fly fisherman that ties his or hers own flies will
stop to harvest road kill.

I've found more tools and cash than wheel weights.

Wes
--
"Additionally as a security officer, I carry a gun to
protect

Ed Huntress December 31st 09 12:19 AM

45 ACP ammo

"Wes" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

I just hate it when I take my boots off, and find a half
dozen wheel weights.

The reason I take a critical view on the claim of 500,000 lbs a year is I
used to ride
bicycles alot. For income as a kid delivering papers and in cross state
tours as a
bicyclist. I'll stop to pick up a wheel weight since I'm a bullet caster.
Much like a
serious fly fisherman that ties his or hers own flies will stop to harvest
road kill.

I've found more tools and cash than wheel weights.

Wes

Try walking down the shoulder of a road with a metal detector. That's how a
friend of mine used to gather his wheel weights for casting sinkers. Most of
them are covered up after a heavy rain.

--
Ed Huntress

Wes[_2_] December 31st 09 12:40 AM

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

The one time I took my van to the repair shop, and then
hoofed home. I found a bunch of wire nuts, which was better
than nothing

Found a 1/4" breaker bar a couple months ago. That was from my car.

Almost hit a pipe vise once with my truck. Must have fell off a welding truck step
bumper. Picked it up, stuck it in my truck box and gave it to my brother in law who
worked where I was working at the time. That is my best score. Well my brother in laws
score ;)

[email protected] December 31st 09 12:49 AM

45 ACP ammo

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 08:42:59 -0600, RBnDFW

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

[...]

Do you drive? How often do the wheel weights fall off your auto? To
the best of my knowledge I have never had a wheel weight fall off. At
least I never had the experience of a wheel suddenly start shaking and
the guy at the balancing place say, "Gee Mister, your balancing
weights have come off."

Regards,

J.B.

[email protected] December 31st 09 01:29 AM

45 ACP ammo

On Dec 30, 12:55*am, "John R. Carroll"
Yeah, I'd say that one in 50 wheels here loses it's weights.

--
John R. Carroll

One in 50 wheels would mean that one car in about 12 loses a wheel
weight annually. That seems pretty high to me. My estimate would be
more like one car in thirty or less loses a wheel weight in the three
or four years that a tire lasts. So my estimate is at least an order
of magnitude lower.

Dan

Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] December 31st 09 01:32 AM

45 ACP ammo

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

"Estimates show that 500,000 pounds of lead is released into California's
environment annually from wheel weights that fall off of vehicles. Lead from
wheel weights can also be tracked into people's homes, especially those who
live near busy streets. Wheel weights can be made of other materials (for
example, steel and zinc), and lead has been banned in wheel weights in the
European Union since 2005."

Something seems wrong with that number. A 3 oz weight is huge and 1 oz seems to be
normal in my experience.

So for a given vehicle there could be 4 to 12 oz of weight. The population is 36 million.

Total number of cars, trucks, semis 243M for the US

Say 24.3M based on percentage of population and for that figure to be true, then all the
wheelweights on 2.7 to 8.2% of california vehicles fall off each year.

Seems a bit fancifull to me.

No, there is a good quantity of weights that get flung on the road
each year but probably not THAT much - remember, Greenies always
estimate way high to drive home their "The Sky is Falling! It's
FALLING!" message.

Though we'll never know for sure, there's no way to account for
disparities between what gets sold as new weights and what gets
recycled - there are too many wheel weights that get recycled by local
bullet casters and keel-makers. Or that get into junkyards when the
car gets ground up and sent to china as cullet, or...

But there's a huge difference between a weight falling off and
bouncing to the side of the road, and "entering the food chain".

As a solid, an animal would have to eat AND RETAIN it for the lead
to leach into their system. I'd think they would be the wrong shape
and size for Gizzard Stones in anything but the largest birds.

I'm betting 90% of them get picked up by the sweepers, or stay in the
immediate shoulder area where they are fairly benign.

Another question - does the fact that a wheel weight falls off mean
that it somehow immediately enters the food/water chain?

My own experience is that wheel weights seldom (in my case never) fall
off. How many have encountered a sudden imbalance of a wheel and
discovered the wheel weights gone?

Several times over my driving career. If you are paying attention,
you'll hear the BANG! as the wheel weight pops loose and bounces off
the fender liner (especially if it was an 'inner' weight) and then
you'll notice a mild vibration at certain speeds.

Then you go by the tire shop and have them spin it on the balance
machine just as it is - the suspiciously clean spot on the rim edge is
the exact length and location of the replacement weight they hammer
on, spin it again and the indicator zeroes out perfectly.

On something small like the 13" wheels on my Corvair or B210 you can
barely tell, but the vibration is noticeable - and annoying.

When it's on the Work Truck with the huge LT245/75R16/E gunboats you
lose a 2-ounce plus wheel weight and you KNOW it. It starts dancing
the watusi at the resonant speed.

-- Bruce --

Ed Huntress December 31st 09 01:44 AM

45 ACP ammo

wrote in message
On Dec 30, 12:55 am, "John R. Carroll"
Yeah, I'd say that one in 50 wheels here loses it's weights.

--
John R. Carroll

One in 50 wheels would mean that one car in about 12 loses a wheel
weight annually. That seems pretty high to me. My estimate would be
more like one car in thirty or less loses a wheel weight in the three
or four years that a tire lasts. So my estimate is at least an order
of magnitude lower.

Dan

EPA estimates that 1.6 mllion pounds of wheel weights are lost from wheels
in the US annually. I think they're getting their data from several studies,
including one report by the Ecology Center that summarizes several other
studies:

http://www.epa.gov/waste/hazard/wastemin/nlfwwi.htm

http://www.leadfreewheels.org/LeadWheelWeightDocs.pdf

--
Ed Huntress

John R. Carroll[_3_] December 31st 09 01:51 AM

45 ACP ammo

wrote:
On Dec 30, 12:55 am, "John R. Carroll"
Yeah, I'd say that one in 50 wheels here loses it's weights.

--
John R. Carroll

One in 50 wheels would mean that one car in about 12 loses a wheel
weight annually. That seems pretty high to me. My estimate would be
more like one car in thirty or less loses a wheel weight in the three
or four years that a tire lasts. So my estimate is at least an order
of magnitude lower.

On what factual and researched basis would you make your claim?
Were you also an indigent paperboy, traipsing across the uninhabited areas
of America, collecting refuse for sale?
Caltrans reports eight ton miles of garbage per year on Interstate 5
between Los Angeles and CA-99 alone.
That's 8X76X2000 = One Million Two Hundred Thousand Pounds of crap.

Do your own homework.

LOL

--
John R. Carroll

Gerald Miller December 31st 09 06:19 AM

45 ACP ammo (and what's along the road)

.

"Wes" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

I just hate it when I take my boots off, and find a half
dozen wheel weights.

The reason I take a critical view on the claim of 500,000
lbs a year is I used to ride
bicycles alot. For income as a kid delivering papers and in
cross state tours as a
bicyclist. I'll stop to pick up a wheel weight since I'm a
bullet caster. Much like a
serious fly fisherman that ties his or hers own flies will
stop to harvest road kill.

I've found more tools and cash than wheel weights.

Wes

One Saturday morning shopping tour (yard saleing) on my way back to
the car, something on the road caught my eye, so I scooped it into my
pocket. Next stop, I took a look at the $20 bill folded over a $50
bill. Best bargain of the summer!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

[email protected] December 31st 09 02:05 PM

45 ACP ammo

On Dec 31, 1:51*am, "John R. Carroll" wrote:

On what factual and researched basis would you make your claim?
Were you also an indigent paperboy, traipsing across the uninhabited areas
of America, collecting refuse for sale?
Caltrans reports eight *ton miles of garbage per year on Interstate 5
between Los Angeles and CA-99 alone.
That's 8X76X2000 = One Million Two Hundred Thousand Pounds of crap.

Do your own homework.

LOL

--
John R. Carroll

My estimates are based on the number of wheel weights that have come
off cars that I have driven. That and if the number of wheel weights
lost was as large a number as the government estimates, someone would
have designed a better wheel weight.

We could conduct an informal poll of RCM readers. How many of you
have experienced a loss of a wheel weight in the last five years? And
how many cars does this cover?

I personally can not remember ever having a wheel weight lost from a
car I have owned and operated. Granted it is not something that I
would make a special effort to remember. Which is why I specified five
years as the time frame to consider. I am reasonably confident that I
have not lost any wheel weights from any of the cars I have owed
during the last five years.

The government sites with estimates on wheel weight loss did not
provide how they made their estimates. I expect they did not do any
analysis of the accuracy of their estimates, but did note that one of
the sites revised their estimate from 5000 tons to 1600 tons. That is
not something that makes me believe that a lot of effort was made to
obtain an accurate estimate.

In short, I have more faith in my estimate than in one made by the
EPA. If the EPA provided how they arrived at their estimate, I might
change my mind.

Dan

RBnDFW December 31st 09 03:03 PM

45 ACP ammo

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

[...]

I've thrown a few over the years. I know to mark the wheel when I
balance them now.

Then there's the time my wife had a wheel weight fall on her head while
watching an Indycar (then CART) race in Houston

Larry Jaques December 31st 09 06:33 PM

45 ACP ammo

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 07:49:02 +0700, the infamous
scrawled the following:

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

[...]

I've had one weight come off in about 40 years of driving. I think I
know two other people who have had that happen to them, too. 3 in 120
years of driving? It's not as common as some people seem to think.

Hmm, do you think that the lead alarmists might be getting their data
from the AGWK stats alarmist folks, like the CRU? That might answer
the riddle.

--
Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven.
Gee, ain't religion GREAT?

Gunner Asch[_5_] December 31st 09 08:41 PM

45 ACP ammo

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 06:05:20 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

[...]

I can remember losing (1) wheelweight in the aprox 8 million+ miles Ive
driven in the past 35 yrs. And along with the wheel weight..I lost the
entire front end of that red Rambler station wagon Id just bought..when
I t-boned the Mustang in Gaylord Michigan in 1974.

And I picked it up.

Along with the piece of blown open COPPER brake line the seller had
plumbed the car with.

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the
means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not
making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of
it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different
countries, that the more public provisions were made for the
poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became
poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the
more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin
Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Wes[_2_] January 1st 10 12:45 AM

45 ACP ammo

Gunner Asch wrote:

I can remember losing (1) wheelweight in the aprox 8 million+ miles Ive
driven in the past 35 yrs. And along with the wheel weight..I lost the
entire front end of that red Rambler station wagon Id just bought..when
I t-boned the Mustang in Gaylord Michigan in 1974.

After a trip to Makino for training, I lost the drivers side wheel when it departed from
my 1991 Ranger 4x4. I'm sure it had a wheel weight. Never found tire, the balancing
weights, or my Warns locking unit. If anyone needs one NIB locking unit (have to buy
them as a pair) let me know.

If you ever lose a wheel at 70 mph and find yourself driving on your brake rotor, wait
until you come to a complete stop after shifting in to neutral. Touching the brake pedal
even at low speed puts one hell of a flat on your rotor. YKHIKT

Wes[_2_] January 1st 10 12:47 AM

45 ACP ammo

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Try walking down the shoulder of a road with a metal detector. That's how a
friend of mine used to gather his wheel weights for casting sinkers. Most of
them are covered up after a heavy rain.

Snow cover is a bit thick right now. Jog my mind after the spring thaw.

Hawke[_3_] January 1st 10 04:04 AM

45 ACP ammo

wrote:
[...]

What you are doing is basing your opinion on your own personal
experience. That's fine but it's not very reliable because your
experience could by typical or it could be unusual. The EPA, on the
other hand, has to do things scientifically. So they have done a study
by professionals who actually go out and measure, weigh, and figure out
their conclusions statistically. When you compare the reliability of
they way they come up with an opinion and they way you do your way comes
out a poor second. So even if the EPA makes some mistakes and gets
things wrong occasionally, their degree of getting it right is far
better than your personal experience is.

Hawke

Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] January 1st 10 04:40 AM

45 ACP ammo

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 12:41:21 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

I can remember losing (1) wheelweight in the aprox 8 million+ miles Ive
driven in the past 35 yrs. And along with the wheel weight..I lost the
entire front end of that red Rambler station wagon Id just bought..when
I t-boned the Mustang in Gaylord Michigan in 1974.

And I picked it up.

Along with the piece of blown open COPPER brake line the seller had
plumbed the car with.

Copper tubing on the brakes? Damn, that's Premeditated Murder
evidence there - car was rigged for a brake failure, anything that old
was single circuit. Not If it fails, WHEN it fails.

Did you ever track down said seller and have a little discussion about
his repair methods and materials selection? I wouldn't have been all
that polite in the same situation.

-- Bruce --

Don Foreman January 1st 10 07:28 AM

45 ACP ammo

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 20:04:04 -0800, Hawke

[...]

While individual experience may or may not be typical, it's never a
bad idea to be a bit skeptical of government data.

Government agencies like EPA, DOE, DARPA, NASA and many more fund
contract research (science)done by competitive bids from academia and
industrial research orgs. I was a research puke, I know how that
works. You're a political scientist so you should know how politics
can strongly influence and distort scientific findings. I defer to
you in the area of political science.

You may or may not know that the gummint does little research itself.
The various and several gummint labs are managed by civilian entities
under contract. I'm not making this up: part of being a research puke
is finding money to do research, charge number on my timecard,
continued employment, support for my family. That was dicey at times.
We enjoyed the opportunity to contribute and prosper without predatory
greed during our working days.

Political influence and spin on research findings is SOP. Some
researchers spin to win contracts, and the agencies that buy the
research spin the findings even if the researchers are suicidally
honest and objective in their reported findings.

[email protected] January 1st 10 02:00 PM

45 ACP ammo

On Jan 1, 4:04*am, Hawke wrote:

[...]

I still think personal observation may be better than relying on a EPA
estimate. If you were a civil servant and your boss asked you to do
an estimate on how many wheel weights were lost per year. And you
knew your boss was pushing for outlawing lead wheel weights. Well I
wouldn't say you would lie, but I bet you would use the most
optimistic estimates to use for calculations.

I am a professional. And learned to do error calculations in
college. I do not trust any estimates that do not include the error
calculation.

Have a look at

http://phys.columbia.edu/~tutorial/

Welcome to the Error Analysis Tutorial. This tutorial will help you
master the error analysis in the first-year, college physics
laboratory. Error analysis may seem tedious; however, without proper
error analysis, no valid scientific conclusions can be drawn. In fact,
as the picture below illustrates, bad things can happen if error
analysis is ignored. Since there is no way to avoid error analysis, it
is best to learn how to do it right. After going through this tutorial
not only will you know how to do it right, you might even find error
analysis easy! The tutorial is organized in five chapters.

Dan

Gunner Asch[_5_] January 1st 10 08:47 PM

45 ACP ammo

wrote:

I can remember losing (1) wheelweight in the aprox 8 million+ miles Ive
driven in the past 35 yrs. And along with the wheel weight..I lost the
entire front end of that red Rambler station wagon Id just bought..when
I t-boned the Mustang in Gaylord Michigan in 1974.

And I picked it up.

Along with the piece of blown open COPPER brake line the seller had
plumbed the car with.

Copper tubing on the brakes? Damn, that's Premeditated Murder
evidence there - car was rigged for a brake failure, anything that old
was single circuit. Not If it fails, WHEN it fails.

Did you ever track down said seller and have a little discussion about
his repair methods and materials selection? I wouldn't have been all
that polite in the same situation.

-- Bruce --

I didnt..but the Michigan State Police sure did. As well as my
insurance company.

I dont learn all the details..but they made it rather unpleasant for
him.

[email protected] January 1st 10 09:32 PM

45 ACP ammo

On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 12:06:24 -0800, Hawke
wrote:

The comparison is between anecdotal and
scientifically collected data, of which there is no comparison. This is
a good example. As many people noted, they have never lost a wheel
weight. But the evidence shows that millions of tons of lead from wheel
weights are lost every year. I'll believe the government's findings in
this case over what the average guy knows any day of the week.

Hawke

Plus, the average person doesn't have a clue if he's lost a wheel
weight. Anecdote: I've changed 4 tires at home in the last year or so.
In 3 cases I drove with the new (or swapped) wheel/tire without any
weights until I could get them balanced. I couldn't tell any
difference before and after. On the fourth, I took off the tape
weights before changing the tire, but forgot the rim weight on the
inside. I still couldn't tell any difference. I expect that newer
tires and wheels don't need as much correction as in the old days.

Wayne

Don Foreman January 2nd 10 04:54 AM

45 ACP ammo

wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I completely agree. Everything that comes from government agencies
has to be taken with a bit of skepticism because there is an element of
politics in all of it. The government is not above cherry picking just
the research that wants so it can support the policies it wants to
implement. You can't just accept anything from the government at face
value. But I was mainly commenting about the accuracy and reliability
you get from a qualified government agency as compared to your own
personal experience. The comparison is between anecdotal and
scientifically collected data, of which there is no comparison. This is
a good example. As many people noted, they have never lost a wheel
weight. But the evidence shows that millions of tons of lead from wheel
weights are lost every year. I'll believe the government's findings in
this case over what the average guy knows any day of the week.

Hawke

A sniff test is still in order.

A DOT study estimated there to be about 250 million automobiles in the
US in 2007. If there was 1/2 lb of lead on each wheel rather than 2
or 3 ounces as is more usual, that'd be 2 lb of lead per car or about
256,000 tons total. Even if every wheel weight in the country fell off
once per year, it's still not millions of tons.

Hawke[_3_] January 2nd 10 05:36 AM

45 ACP ammo

wrote:

[...]

What usually happens when you lose wheel weights isn't that the wheel
goes so far out of balance that it is actually noticeable. What happens
is that your tires wear out much quicker because they wear out unevenly
and in specific spots. Lead is not good stuff as the Romans found out
when they used it in vessels they stored wine in. It wasn't good in our
gas, it was not good in our paint or in our shotgun shells. Lead is
pretty nasty stuff and the less people are exposed to it the better. I
hadn't heard anything about wheel weights being phased out until now but
it sounds like a good idea to me. It's also one of those things where I
would believe it without questioning the data if the EPA said millions
of pounds of it was being dispersed by wheel weights flying off of cars.

Hawke

[email protected] January 2nd 10 02:45 PM

45 ACP ammo

On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 21:36:20 -0800, Hawke

wrote:

[...]

I'd put money against your assertion in a blind test. My car is pretty
average, close to 2 tons with alloy wheels and medium-profile tires.
As I said, I've already had 3 tests in not much more than a year. I
guarantee that if I removed all the weights from one wheel you
wouldn't be able to tell me which by driving the vehicle. It's easy
enough to test for yourself - mark the positions of one wheel's
weights and then take them off for a bit.

I also doubt that any difference in tire wear will show up, but long
term I suppose it's possible. About the only reasons I can think of
that my experience might not be typical is that I seldom get to drive
on glass-smooth roads, and the tires in question are relatively light
compared to what's used on pickups etc.

I do remember in the old days having wheels and tires with gobs of
balancing weights, and some that would visibly hop if they weren't
balanced. Wheels (alloy) and tires both seem to be lighter and more
uniform these days.

Lead is not good stuff as the Romans found out
when they used it in vessels they stored wine in. It wasn't good in our
gas, it was not good in our paint or in our shotgun shells. Lead is
pretty nasty stuff and the less people are exposed to it the better.

Yup, there's no question about that.

hadn't heard anything about wheel weights being phased out until now but
it sounds like a good idea to me. It's also one of those things where I
would believe it without questioning the data if the EPA said millions
of pounds of it was being dispersed by wheel weights flying off of cars.

I don't doubt that weights fly off, but the quantity does seem high.
I'd expect more weights to get into the environment through lazy or
sleazy disposal practices. I have my own tire changer and get to use
it more than most because of the rocky roads and the desert rats who
don't secure their loads of trash. Still, I don't change all that many
tires, yet I've accumulated quite a lot of weights. So I can imagine
how fast they pile up at tire stores, and that a lot of them aren't
disposed of properly. Here's a little anecdote to illustrate: a local
truss company was paying quite a bit to have their cut-offs taken to
the dump. A new hauler came along and bid the disposal at about half
the previous guy's price. The new hauler was able to do that by
avoiding dump fees - he was giving away the cutoffs wherever he could,
and most of it is just piled up and rotting at hundreds of sites.
Here's an interesting read on another example
http://www.kingmandailyminer.com/mai...ectionID=1&S=1
Check out the chain of contractors, which finally got down to a crook.
Wayne

Martin H. Eastburn January 3rd 10 04:30 AM

45 ACP ammo

These are the fine folks that forced the low lead batteries onto us.
Those that have medium power ability and flake off to nothing.

The rational - taking lead off the road - false stats again.

I finally quit buying replacement batteries - the first one lasted
2 months - new truck - The last battery was a replacement - 3 year old
and so far so good. The high capacity full lead. Remember we really
use the heck out of the battery now-a-days - with the headlights
on at all times - and putting around in town without enough power
to charge a battery up, thus depleting and drawing high currents.
This displaces large amounts of lead and this makes for a weak plate.

Cold weather is hardest on them - electrolyte is low on ionic ability.

Up north, they use battery tapes - heater tapes for pipes ... to keep
the battery warm for better current flow and ionic exchanges.

Martin

John R. Carroll[_3_] January 3rd 10 07:55 AM

45 ACP ammo

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
These are the fine folks that forced the low lead batteries onto us.
Those that have medium power ability and flake off to nothing.

The rational - taking lead off the road - false stats again.

I finally quit buying replacement batteries - the first one lasted
2 months - new truck - The last battery was a replacement - 3 year old
and so far so good. The high capacity full lead. Remember we really
use the heck out of the battery now-a-days - with the headlights
on at all times - and putting around in town without enough power
to charge a battery up, thus depleting and drawing high currents.
This displaces large amounts of lead and this makes for a weak plate.

Cold weather is hardest on them - electrolyte is low on ionic ability.

Up north, they use battery tapes - heater tapes for pipes ... to keep
the battery warm for better current flow and ionic exchanges.

Every vehicle battery I own is a gel pack.

--
John R. Carroll

Larry Jaques January 3rd 10 03:50 PM

45 ACP ammo

On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 22:30:54 -0600, the infamous "Martin H. Eastburn"
scrawled the following:

These are the fine folks that forced the low lead batteries onto us.
Those that have medium power ability and flake off to nothing.

The rational - taking lead off the road - false stats again.

Since when did the PTBs ever use rational thought to create laws?

Remember we really
use the heck out of the battery now-a-days - with the headlights
on at all times - and putting around in town without enough power
to charge a battery up, thus depleting and drawing high currents.

That's simply not true, Martin. Just running through the gears to
35mph is plenty of rpm for the alternator to maintain a full charge to
the battery.

Headlights draw 55W apiece and it takes hours to run a battery down
with the engine off. Show me cites to the battery destruction,
please. I simply don't believe it. (ex mechanic here)

For a test, with the engine idling, turn your heater, headlights, and
the radio on with your auto aimed at the garage door. You'll see the
lights dim a bit with everything on. That shows a battery discharge
situation. Now give it a tiny bit of gas. Once the RPM comes up to
about 1,000, the lights are on full, showing a charging situation.
When you're driving, even at 25mph, your RPM seldom comes below 1,000.
That's enough to keep the battery fully charged every time you drive
and it's why the car starts every time you try. STARTING is the only
high-draw situation for most car batteries.

Hell, the boombox stereos with 1kw amps take more power than the
lights nowadays, but those idiots _deserve_ to have their batteries
self- destruct. Rap "music" is a crime against nature. ;)

This displaces large amounts of lead and this makes for a weak plate.

Cites?

Cold weather is hardest on them - electrolyte is low on ionic ability.

Up north, they use battery tapes - heater tapes for pipes ... to keep
the battery warm for better current flow and ionic exchanges.

Northerners can have that climate. I'll wait for AGWK to warm up SoOr
a bit more for me.

--
Society is produced by our wants and government by our wickedness.
--Thomas Paine