Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT no metal working content, Stilts

I saw some metal stilts advertised on TV, and thought now there is
something I can make for a grandchild. But instead of metal, I used
wood. I think the stilts my sister and I had were made with 1 by 2's,
but 1 by 2's are not as big as they used to be. So I bought a single
2 by 4 and ripped it into a couple of 1.5 by 1.5 's. Made the foot
supports out of some scrap 2 by 6 cut to a reasonable shape by a saber
saw.

It did not take long. There is still time to make some for you child
or grandchild before Christmas.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , " wrote:
I saw some metal stilts advertised on TV, and thought now there is
something I can make for a grandchild. But instead of metal, I used
wood. I think the stilts my sister and I had were made with 1 by 2's,
but 1 by 2's are not as big as they used to be. So I bought a single
2 by 4 and ripped it into a couple of 1.5 by 1.5 's. Made the foot
supports out of some scrap 2 by 6 cut to a reasonable shape by a saber
saw.

It did not take long.

Good job, Granddad! There's gonna be a happy kid on Friday morning!

There is still time to make some for you child
or grandchild before Christmas.

No grandchildren yet.... and at 6'2", stilts are the *last* thing my "child"
needs ! I just hope he's done growing.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.diylife.com/2008/05/12/make-your-own-stilts/
Some what like the ones my Dad made. I think he used store
bought 2 x 2 "nominal dimension" for the verticals.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
I saw some metal stilts advertised on TV, and thought now
there is
something I can make for a grandchild. But instead of
metal, I used
wood. I think the stilts my sister and I had were made with
1 by 2's,
but 1 by 2's are not as big as they used to be. So I bought
a single
2 by 4 and ripped it into a couple of 1.5 by 1.5 's. Made
the foot
supports out of some scrap 2 by 6 cut to a reasonable shape
by a saber
saw.

It did not take long. There is still time to make some for
you child
or grandchild before Christmas.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Check with scout troops near you. When I was a kid, my Dad
made some stilts which were probably modelled on the scout
manual pattern. It took a while, but I did manage to make
them work. Since then, I've seen similar stilts at scout
functions.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus