DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT no metal working content, Stilts (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/294582-ot-no-metal-working-content-stilts.html)

[email protected] December 23rd 09 03:15 AM

OT no metal working content, Stilts

I saw some metal stilts advertised on TV, and thought now there is
something I can make for a grandchild. But instead of metal, I used
wood. I think the stilts my sister and I had were made with 1 by 2's,
but 1 by 2's are not as big as they used to be. So I bought a single
2 by 4 and ripped it into a couple of 1.5 by 1.5 's. Made the foot
supports out of some scrap 2 by 6 cut to a reasonable shape by a saber
saw.

It did not take long. There is still time to make some for you child
or grandchild before Christmas.

Dan

Doug Miller December 23rd 09 03:47 AM

In article , " wrote:
I saw some metal stilts advertised on TV, and thought now there is
something I can make for a grandchild. But instead of metal, I used
wood. I think the stilts my sister and I had were made with 1 by 2's,
but 1 by 2's are not as big as they used to be. So I bought a single
2 by 4 and ripped it into a couple of 1.5 by 1.5 's. Made the foot
supports out of some scrap 2 by 6 cut to a reasonable shape by a saber
saw.

It did not take long.

Good job, Granddad! There's gonna be a happy kid on Friday morning!

There is still time to make some for you child
or grandchild before Christmas.

No grandchildren yet.... and at 6'2", stilts are the *last* thing my "child"
needs ! I just hope he's done growing.

Stormin Mormon December 23rd 09 10:29 PM

OT no metal working content, Stilts

http://www.diylife.com/2008/05/12/make-your-own-stilts/
Some what like the ones my Dad made. I think he used store
bought 2 x 2 "nominal dimension" for the verticals.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon December 23rd 09 10:37 PM

OT no metal working content, Stilts

Check with scout troops near you. When I was a kid, my Dad
made some stilts which were probably modelled on the scout
manual pattern. It took a while, but I did manage to make
them work. Since then, I've seen similar stilts at scout
functions.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus