Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to remove angle grinder gear

My $9, much used, HF 4-1/2" angle grinder has a bad bearing. To replace
it I need to remove the spur gear on the end of the motor shaft. The
gear is threaded on, but has some sort of retainer, I think. It kind of
looks like a key, but it's not: the shaft doesn't have a keyway & the
shaft is threaded.

http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/GrinderGear.jpg

I haven't seen this before - could it be a wedge that was driven in to
lock it? If so, I suppose there's no way in hell that I'm going to get
it out (no access in the back and no EDM).

I hope I can fix it 'cause otherwise it's a perfectly good grinder & why
should I spend $9 on another one? Although I haven't seen them for $9
in quite a while. $15 now, I think.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to remove angle grinder gear - NEVER MIND!

Wait - it isn't threaded & it is keyed. A woodruff key, so the slot
doesn't extend to the end. It pulled off & I'm all set.

As you were,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message

Wait - it isn't threaded & it is keyed. A woodruff key, so the slot
doesn't extend to the end. It pulled off & I'm all set.

As you were,
Bob

Was it Yogi or LaSorda who said, "You can see a lot by observing." I WAS
going to suggest just a strong gear puller, but you beat me to it.

Carry on.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob, I've not seen one like it before either if that makes you
feel any better. How about drilling a lead hole and tapping the
"wedge" to get a bit of a handle on it?

If you do get to the bearings, they might not be anything standard
enough to find

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
My $9, much used, HF 4-1/2" angle grinder has a bad bearing. To
replace it I need to remove the spur gear on the end of the
motor shaft. The gear is threaded on, but has some sort of
retainer, I think. It kind of looks like a key, but it's not:
the shaft doesn't have a keyway & the shaft is threaded.

http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/GrinderGear.jpg

I haven't seen this before - could it be a wedge that was driven
in to lock it? If so, I suppose there's no way in hell that I'm
going to get it out (no access in the back and no EDM).

I hope I can fix it 'cause otherwise it's a perfectly good
grinder & why should I spend $9 on another one? Although I
haven't seen them for $9 in quite a while. $15 now, I think.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Standing down, Sir!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in
message ...

Wait - it isn't threaded & it is keyed. A woodruff key, so
the slot
doesn't extend to the end. It pulled off & I'm all set.

As you were,
Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

My $9, much used, HF 4-1/2" angle grinder has a bad bearing. To replace
it I need to remove the spur gear on the end of the motor shaft. The
gear is threaded on, but has some sort of retainer, I think. It kind of
looks like a key, but it's not: the shaft doesn't have a keyway & the
shaft is threaded.

http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/GrinderGear.jpg

I haven't seen this before - could it be a wedge that was driven in to
lock it? If so, I suppose there's no way in hell that I'm going to get
it out (no access in the back and no EDM).

I hope I can fix it 'cause otherwise it's a perfectly good grinder & why
should I spend $9 on another one? Although I haven't seen them for $9
in quite a while. $15 now, I think.

They are on sale right now for $9 in one of the many flyers or email
specials.

--
Offworld checks no longer accepted!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Bob Engelhardt wrote:
My $9, much used, HF 4-1/2" angle grinder has a bad bearing. To replace
it I need to remove the spur gear on the end of the motor shaft. The
gear is threaded on, but has some sort of retainer, I think. It kind of
looks like a key, but it's not: the shaft doesn't have a keyway & the
shaft is threaded.

http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/GrinderGear.jpg

I haven't seen this before - could it be a wedge that was driven in to
lock it? If so, I suppose there's no way in hell that I'm going to get
it out (no access in the back and no EDM).

I hope I can fix it 'cause otherwise it's a perfectly good grinder & why
should I spend $9 on another one? Although I haven't seen them for $9
in quite a while. $15 now, I think.

They are on sale right now for $9 in one of the many flyers or email
specials.

One of the first things I do with any of the import stuff I buy is to
pull it apart, clean out whatever the lube they use (most seems to be
close to petroleum jelly!) and put in better lube. Also a good time to
look for loose parts or adjust the fit of gears and brushes.

I can say that the orange body HF grinders seem to work very well,
although they tend to be noisy without some gear work.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Bob Engelhardt wrote:
[...]

I don't worry about angle grinders. I've never been able to keep one
till it quits. They generally disappear about six months after I buy
them.

--
Offworld checks no longer accepted!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Bob Engelhardt wrote:
[...]

Steve, what do you use for lube and where do you buy it?
I was fixing my wife's kitchen mixer and my local fix-it dealer (Milwaukee,
Rigid tools etc.) wanted $ 89 for a small plastic pouch of grease. Barely
enough for one tool. Couldn't find anything else in the little time
available (SWMBO needed to use the mixer) so I repacked it with the old
grease.

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to grease a mixer

I'm not Steve, but I'd think wheel beerring grease from the
auto parts. The lithium stuff is supposed to be good, or
molly. They also sell grease for CV joints.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message

Steve, what do you use for lube and where do you buy it?
I was fixing my wife's kitchen mixer and my local fix-it
dealer (Milwaukee,
Rigid tools etc.) wanted $ 89 for a small plastic pouch of
grease. Barely
enough for one tool. Couldn't find anything else in the
little time
available (SWMBO needed to use the mixer) so I repacked it
with the old
grease.

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to pay too much for grease

Did you write $89? You can buy a new appliance for that
much. Or a full pound of axle grease at Napa, and still have
$80 left over to gas up the truck on the way home.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message

Steve, what do you use for lube and where do you buy it?
I was fixing my wife's kitchen mixer and my local fix-it
dealer (Milwaukee,
Rigid tools etc.) wanted $ 89 for a small plastic pouch of
grease. Barely
enough for one tool. Couldn't find anything else in the
little time
available (SWMBO needed to use the mixer) so I repacked it
with the old
grease.

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

One of the first things I do with any of the import stuff I buy is to
pull it apart, clean out whatever the lube they use (most seems to be
close to petroleum jelly!) and put in better lube.
Steve W.

Steve, what do you use for lube and where do you buy it?
I was fixing my wife's kitchen mixer and my local fix-it dealer
(Milwaukee, Rigid tools etc.) wanted $ 89 for a small plastic pouch of
grease. Barely enough for one tool. Couldn't find anything else in the
little time available (SWMBO needed to use the mixer) so I repacked it
with the old grease.

Ivan Vegvary

The stuff I use on most tools is a lithium based open gear grease. The
problem with a lot of greases made for bearings is that when used on
open gears it doesn't stick to the gears. Instead it gets forced out and
you end up with a pocket of air around the actual moving parts. The open
gear grease is designed to avoid that problem.

For anything that gets near food I have a specific grease that is food
safe. You can buy it in many places that sell brewing supplies for a LOT
less money than any service place. The one I use is made by Timken and
is an aluminum thickened NGLI #2 rated grease.
Part #GR231C is a standard gun tube. Think I paid 10 bucks or so for the
last one.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 16, 2:07*am, "Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

Steve, what do you use for lube and where do you buy it?
I was fixing my wife's kitchen mixer and my local fix-it dealer (Milwaukee,
Rigid tools etc.) wanted $ 89 for a small plastic pouch of grease. *Barely
enough for one tool. *Couldn't find anything else in the little time
available (SWMBO needed to use the mixer) so I repacked it with the old
grease.

Ivan Vegvary

Some synthetic greases are really expensive. Du Pont makes Krytox
which run about $40 for 2 ounces. You can get it at Grainger. But
there are a number of other food grade greases you can get at Grainger
for about $10 for 12 ounces.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve W. wrote:
... The
problem with a lot of greases made for bearings is that when used on
open gears it doesn't stick to the gears. Instead it gets forced out and
you end up with a pocket of air around the actual moving parts. ...

Exactly the situation in the angle grinder in question. Gears were
totally dry of grease. Especially with the high speeds involved - the
grease would get flung off pretty quickly. Sounds like a re-greasing of
all my other grinders would be a good idea. With open gear grease.

Thanks!

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yes, I did mean to write $89. Keep in mind that it had to be 'food safe'.
Posts further down, along with yours give me some good alternatives than my
'small appliance' repair depot.

Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary

.

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message

Steve, what do you use for lube and where do you buy it?
I was fixing my wife's kitchen mixer and my local fix-it
dealer (Milwaukee,
Rigid tools etc.) wanted $ 89 for a small plastic pouch of
grease. Barely
enough for one tool. Couldn't find anything else in the
little time
available (SWMBO needed to use the mixer) so I repacked it
with the old
grease.

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve W. wrote:
The stuff I use on most tools is a lithium based open gear grease. The
problem with a lot of greases made for bearings is that when used on
open gears it doesn't stick to the gears. Instead it gets forced out and
you end up with a pocket of air around the actual moving parts. The open
gear grease is designed to avoid that problem.

I got some stuff at NAPA that's called "open gear lube" & it's
definitely not a grease - it's an aerosol. Do you have any idea how it
might compare to your grease?

Thanks,
Bob