Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Obama nickel-dimes school supplies

On Dec 7, 3:20*pm, "Lib Loo" wrote:
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message

Supplies with Obama logo surprise school
By Jonathon Braden

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Pencils and notebooks resembling President Barack Obama's 2008 campaign
have been sold in at least one Columbia school and other public schools,
causing the company that distributes the materials to travel around the
state yanking the supplies out of machines.

"Don't be mad at us," said Greg Jones, a sales representative with Pencil
Wholesale. "It was a total accident."

Pencil Wholesale distributes supplies to six Columbia schools: Parkade
Elementary, Cedar Ridge Elementary, Paxton Keeley Elementary, Mill Creek
Elementary, Smithton Middle School and Hickman High School, said Linda
Quinley, the district's chief financial officer.

At Mill Creek, at least one pencil and a notebook with designs similar to
Obama campaign advertisements have been sold out of a supply machine. Two
families have complained about the politically tinged materials.

Three Missouri schools have contacted Jones since the beginning of the
school year asking that the materials be removed, and Mill Creek
Principal
Mary Sue Gibson this week said she also planned to call Pencil Wholesale.

"I just don't want to get into that political arena at all," she said.

The bound three-ring notebook bears a photo of literal change - pennies,
quarters, dimes and nickels stacked into piles. Above the photo, white
text
reads "CHANGE" over a navy background.

Below the photo, "WE CAN BELIEVE IN" sits above a logo similar to Obama's
campaign image - three red stripes separated by white stripes in front of
white circle with a blue background arching over the circle.

The supplies were designed by the art department of Harcourt Pencil Co..,
based in Milroy, Ind., Jones said.

"The art department was trying to be cutesy," he said.

There was no response this morning to a phone message to Harcourt.

Jones delivers the supplies to about 800 schools. He remembers seeing the
Obama-esque notebook when it was first designed, but "I didn't think one
thing about it," he said.

Jones has agreed to go to schools that might have received the supplies
and
remove them.

"I wish I could do it over," he said. "But, for now, I can just make it
right."

Harcourt plans to give Jones a refund on the supplies as well, he said..

But first, Jones has to find the supplies. Out of a case of 72 notebooks,
three of the controversial notebooks can be found, he said.

"It's turned out to be really ugly," Jones said. "We're trying to get
them
out of the schools as fast as we can."

He also wants to be clear that neither he nor his company created the
design. In fact, he said, he's a registered Republican who voted for John
McCain in last year's presidential election.

"It's a total nightmare," Jones said.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/...s-with-obama-l....

LOL...so Winger Left Behind....worried that those first graders are
getting better educated than you are?

TMT

Where'd you get your education? Tell me where'd you get your education from?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUSJRKGhRgQ

why u r writing a book