Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The Trend Toward Thread Milling in Hardened Material

"T.Alan Kraus" wrote:

That's all good info, but how do I thread mill on a manual machine?

I bet there are quite a few people on rcm that have cnc mills. Might be a converted
bridgeport or X3 type machine.

Perfectly on topic Bob.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

"T.Alan Kraus" wrote:

That's all good info, but how do I thread mill on a manual machine?

I bet there are quite a few people on rcm that have cnc mills. Might be a converted
bridgeport or X3 type machine.

Missed the post you are replying to. But there is a way to thread mill
on a manual. I've only seen one, on ebay, but it was a sort of rotary
table combined with ground thread leads sort of like a Hardinge chucker
would use for the threading attachment. I thought it was pretty slick
and would have bid if the price stayed low, just because I thought it
was such a neat tool. Don't recall the manufacturer name, but yes
Virginia, with the right tooling, you can thread mill on a manual mill!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
"T.Alan Kraus" wrote:

That's all good info, but how do I thread mill on a manual machine?

I bet there are quite a few people on rcm that have cnc mills. Might be a converted
bridgeport or X3 type machine.

Perfectly on topic Bob.

Wes:

I almost missed your post AND Jon Anderson's. I only saw them because
I was snooping around in rcm.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Thread Milling oldjag Metalworking 10 November 21st 09 05:55 PM
Questions regarding thread diameter and pitch for special design case with limited thread length John2005 Metalworking 14 January 21st 06 04:28 AM
THREAD MILLING Peter Kiproff Metalworking 8 January 1st 06 01:30 PM
Musing about up milling, down milling, shearing and scraping. Arch Woodturning 10 February 6th 05 08:11 PM
dremel sized milling bit for cylinder head gasket material bw Metalworking 2 November 22nd 04 09:27 PM