DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   The Trend Toward Thread Milling in Hardened Material (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/293531-re-trend-toward-thread-milling-hardened-material.html)

Wes[_2_] December 8th 09 10:50 PM

The Trend Toward Thread Milling in Hardened Material

"T.Alan Kraus" wrote:

That's all good info, but how do I thread mill on a manual machine?

I bet there are quite a few people on rcm that have cnc mills. Might be a converted
bridgeport or X3 type machine.

Perfectly on topic Bob.

Wes

Jon Anderson December 8th 09 11:12 PM

Wes wrote:

"T.Alan Kraus" wrote:

That's all good info, but how do I thread mill on a manual machine?

I bet there are quite a few people on rcm that have cnc mills. Might be a converted
bridgeport or X3 type machine.

Missed the post you are replying to. But there is a way to thread mill
on a manual. I've only seen one, on ebay, but it was a sort of rotary
table combined with ground thread leads sort of like a Hardinge chucker
would use for the threading attachment. I thought it was pretty slick
and would have bid if the price stayed low, just because I thought it
was such a neat tool. Don't recall the manufacturer name, but yes
Virginia, with the right tooling, you can thread mill on a manual mill!

Jon

BottleBob December 9th 09 01:25 AM

Wes wrote:
"T.Alan Kraus" wrote:

That's all good info, but how do I thread mill on a manual machine?

I bet there are quite a few people on rcm that have cnc mills. Might be a converted
bridgeport or X3 type machine.

Perfectly on topic Bob.

Wes:

I almost missed your post AND Jon Anderson's. I only saw them because
I was snooping around in rcm.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob