Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Neutral wire in main panel

I am replacing the feed from my main panel to the sub panel with
number 3 wire in 1 1/4 inch conduit. I have the wire disconnected from
my sub panel.

I have the feeder breaker off feeding the sub panel. (The 100 amp
feeder breaker at the main panel).

I know I have to turn off the main 200 amp breaker at the main panel,
but is there any voltage at the neutral wire? I know the main breaker
has no connection to the neutral coming in from the power company. (I
dont think). Will I be safe to just turn off the main breaker,
disconnect my wire feeding the sub panel includign the neutral to the
neutral bus?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 2, 5:44*am, stryped wrote:
I am replacing the feed from my main panel to the sub panel with
number 3 wire in 1 1/4 inch conduit. I have the wire disconnected from
my sub panel.

I have the feeder breaker off feeding the sub panel. (The 100 amp
feeder breaker at the main panel).

I know I have to turn off the main 200 amp breaker at the main panel,

Why? Doesn't the feeder breaker snap off of the busbar? Just pull
out the breaker, wire to the subpanel, then snap the breaker back
into the main panel. You might check for shorts first, of course,
with a meter.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 2, 2:22*pm, whit3rd wrote:
On Dec 2, 5:44*am, stryped wrote:

I am replacing the feed from my main panel to the sub panel with
number 3 wire in 1 1/4 inch conduit. I have the wire disconnected from
my sub panel.

I have the feeder breaker off feeding the sub panel. (The 100 amp
feeder breaker at the main panel).

I know I have to turn off the main 200 amp breaker at the main panel,

Why? *Doesn't the feeder breaker snap off of the busbar? *Just pull
out the breaker, wire to the subpanel, then snap the breaker back
into the main panel. *You might check for shorts first, of course,
with a meter.

I never thought of that but what about the neutral that is not
connected to the breaker?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:

I never thought of that but what about the neutral that is not
connected to the breaker?

And what does that neutral connect with? Hint,
it should be a bare copper wire.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:

I know I have to turn off the main 200 amp breaker at the main panel,
but is there any voltage at the neutral wire? I know the main breaker
has no connection to the neutral coming in from the power company. (I
dont think). Will I be safe to just turn off the main breaker,
disconnect my wire feeding the sub panel includign the neutral to the
neutral bus?

Your 120/240 V service is coming from a transformer out on a pole somewhere, that has a
secondary which is center tapped. The center tap is your neutral connection, that center
tap is also connected to a ground rod at the pole which has the purpose of making neutral
0 volts in respect to ground and either of your hot legs at 120v in respect to ground.

If you open the main breaker, the neutral should be zero volt. You should have a meter
that can verify if a line is engergized or not.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
I am replacing the feed from my main panel to the sub panel with
number 3 wire in 1 1/4 inch conduit. I have the wire disconnected from
my sub panel.

I have the feeder breaker off feeding the sub panel. (The 100 amp
feeder breaker at the main panel).

I know I have to turn off the main 200 amp breaker at the main panel,
but is there any voltage at the neutral wire? I know the main breaker
has no connection to the neutral coming in from the power company. (I
dont think). Will I be safe to just turn off the main breaker,
disconnect my wire feeding the sub panel includign the neutral to the
neutral bus?

You should have some basic understanding before doing this type of work and
I don't think usenet is the best place to get it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ATP* wrote:
"stryped" wrote in message

... but is there any voltage at the neutral wire? ...

You should have some basic understanding before doing this type of work and
I don't think usenet is the best place to get it.

Indeed! "...is there any voltage at the neutral wire?" - what kind of
dumb ass question is that!? Scary, just plain scary.

I've been tolerant & held my tongue while others have said "You
shouldn't be doing this", but this is too much. Stryed: you should not
be doing this.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 17:45:19 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

ATP* wrote:
"stryped" wrote in message

... but is there any voltage at the neutral wire? ...

You should have some basic understanding before doing this type of work and
I don't think usenet is the best place to get it.

Indeed! "...is there any voltage at the neutral wire?" - what kind of
dumb ass question is that!? Scary, just plain scary.

I've been tolerant & held my tongue while others have said "You
shouldn't be doing this", but this is too much. Stryed: you should not
be doing this.

Bob

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/h2installelecwiring

http://www.electrical-online.com/articles.htm

http://www.thecircuitdetective.com/

as a simple start. Take the time and read

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton