Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev Sev is offline

Default Insulate neutral bar from main panel?

Adding multiwire kitchen circuit, I see my neutral bar is already
full- in fact overloaded, with two wires under some screws- this is
incorrect, no? or ok, depending on wire guage? So, planning to add
extra neutral bar, connecting this to existing bar. Can I just screw
new bar to back of panel, or does it have to sit on insulators? This
is main panel, Crouse Hinds model 14 type G, 200A service. I am
mindful of torque requirements, inadvisability of putting heavy loads
on "skinnies" (have to switch a few circuits to these to make space).
I do realize I'm near the limit on this panel. Just not up to
springing for a new one just yet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sev" wrote in message
Adding multiwire kitchen circuit, I see my neutral bar is already
full- in fact overloaded, with two wires under some screws- this is
incorrect, no? or ok, depending on wire guage? So, planning to add
extra neutral bar, connecting this to existing bar. Can I just screw
new bar to back of panel, or does it have to sit on insulators? This
is main panel, Crouse Hinds model 14 type G, 200A service. I am
mindful of torque requirements, inadvisability of putting heavy loads
on "skinnies" (have to switch a few circuits to these to make space).
I do realize I'm near the limit on this panel. Just not up to
springing for a new one just yet.

The panel should say if two conductors can be attached to each lug. Your new
ground/neutral detail should not be insulated from panel body. I would
recommend running a decent size conductor from the original bar to the new
one

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sev wrote:
Adding multiwire kitchen circuit, I see my neutral bar is already
full- in fact overloaded, with two wires under some screws- this is
incorrect, no? or ok, depending on wire guage? So, planning to add
extra neutral bar, connecting this to existing bar. Can I just screw
new bar to back of panel, or does it have to sit on insulators? This
is main panel, Crouse Hinds model 14 type G, 200A service. I am
mindful of torque requirements, inadvisability of putting heavy loads
on "skinnies" (have to switch a few circuits to these to make space).
I do realize I'm near the limit on this panel. Just not up to
springing for a new one just yet.

Hi,
200 Amp main panel is crowded? You must have a pretty big house.
My kitchen is served by a sub panel. Better have two bars connected
together via another short bar across or heavy braid.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:

Sev wrote:
Adding multiwire kitchen circuit, I see my neutral bar is already
full- in fact overloaded, with two wires under some screws- this is
incorrect, no? or ok, depending on wire guage? So, planning to add
extra neutral bar, connecting this to existing bar. Can I just screw
new bar to back of panel, or does it have to sit on insulators? This
is main panel, Crouse Hinds model 14 type G, 200A service. I am
mindful of torque requirements, inadvisability of putting heavy loads
on "skinnies" (have to switch a few circuits to these to make space).
I do realize I'm near the limit on this panel. Just not up to
springing for a new one just yet.

Hi,
200 Amp main panel is crowded? You must have a pretty big house.
My kitchen is served by a sub panel. Better have two bars connected
together via another short bar across or heavy braid.

Crowding is usually a function of a panel with too few slots, not Amp
capacity. I have a 200A 40 space QO panel in my average sized house and
I have only a few spaces left.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
"Sev" wrote in message
Adding multiwire kitchen circuit, I see my neutral bar is already
full- in fact overloaded, with two wires under some screws- this is
incorrect, no? or ok, depending on wire guage? So, planning to add
extra neutral bar, connecting this to existing bar. Can I just screw
new bar to back of panel, or does it have to sit on insulators? This
is main panel, Crouse Hinds model 14 type G, 200A service. I am
mindful of torque requirements, inadvisability of putting heavy loads
on "skinnies" (have to switch a few circuits to these to make space).
I do realize I'm near the limit on this panel. Just not up to
springing for a new one just yet.

The panel should say if two conductors can be attached to each lug.

As RBM said out about a year ago, ground wires may not be doubled up.

Your new
ground/neutral detail should not be insulated from panel body. I would
recommend running a decent size conductor from the original bar to the new
one

Common practice would be to add a ground bar. I believe that as of the
2008 NEC you may not connect neutral wires to a ground bar (you wouldn't
think of doing that except in a service panel anyway). (You could if you
ran a conductor between neutral and ground bars as RBM suggested; an
inspector might want it sized to carry the max neutral current.)

If you are not actually pushing the amp capacity of the service, you
could add a subpanel adjacent to the service panel (or somewhere else).
You only need to replace the service panel if you are running out of
amp capacity. That is - actual current that is being used at some time,
not total of breaker ratings. (Technically you need to replace it if the
"service calculation" is larger than 200A.) Like Pete, my kid has a 200A
40 space panel and is down to 1 space in a not-all-that-large house.

The 2008 NEC also requires 2 pole breakers for multiwire circuits.

--
bud--