Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drill press

Well, I bought one. I found a Powermatic Model 1200 on Craig's list. 3 phase
1 HP motor, in good shape. It appears to have been built in 1971 by the
Powermatic 1971 Anniversary stickers on it. It came with a hefty vice, a
couple drill chucks, a funky T-slot clamp do-hicky. Only problem was the
crank for the table height adjustment took a hit at some point so the the
shaft is bent, and the speed control knobs are just bolts, (minor problem,
are parts available??) Only one hole drilled into the table, no arc of
shame! Paid $600 and a 8 hour round trip drive to pick it up. I think I did
ok. You guys living in the manufacturing waste lands where tools can be
bought for scrap price will probably think I paid too much, but I have been
looking on and off for a heavy drill press for a couple years and this was
the best deal I could find! Funny thing was it was listed on Craig's list a
week ago for $1000, when I first contacted the seller. He never got back
with me on any details and relisted it for $600. Not that I would have paid
him $1000 for it, but someone would have!
Now I need to run a wire for a 240 volt outlet, and wire up my VFD.
Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-30, Greg O wrote:
Well, I bought one. I found a Powermatic Model 1200 on Craig's list. 3 phase
1 HP motor, in good shape. It appears to have been built in 1971 by the
Powermatic 1971 Anniversary stickers on it.

I have the same sort of drill press, made in 1974.

It came with a hefty vice, a couple drill chucks, a funky T-slot
clamp do-hicky. Only problem was the crank for the table height
adjustment took a hit at some point so the the shaft is bent, and
the speed control knobs are just bolts, (minor problem, are parts
available??)

You can buy machine handles from McMaster, or round knobs.

Only one hole drilled into the table, no arc of shame!
Paid $600 and a 8 hour round trip drive to pick it up. I think I did
ok.

Yep. Great tool for the price. I paid $275 for mine, but it came
without a chuck (but with the speed adjusting handles)

Another lot from the same auction, that I paid $10 for, has a bunch of
dirty grease guns, and something else that I sold for $262.

You guys living in the manufacturing waste lands where tools can
be bought for scrap price will probably think I paid too much, but I
have been looking on and off for a heavy drill press for a couple
years and this was the best deal I could find!

I think that you did OK.

Funny thing was it was listed on Craig's list a week ago for $1000,
when I first contacted the seller. He never got back with me on any
details and relisted it for $600. Not that I would have paid him
$1000 for it, but someone would have! Now I need to run a wire for
a 240 volt outlet, and wire up my VFD. Greg

Congrats. You will be very happy.

I set up mine for flood coolant and I am happy with the result, no
more overheated ruined drills. I lessen the pressure on the quill to break
long stringy chips into pieces, so that they do not throw coolant
around.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--

Even here in that waste land of industrial gone-aways you got a nice
machine.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 00:40:48 -0600, "Greg O"
wrote:

[...]

Pictures when you are ready!!! if you need parts..I can turn you on to
a good source.

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
if that is the DP with the reeves drive, just use a static inverter and
save the VFD for another application

I have a free VFD already, and no other use for it. I would have to build a
static converter.
Yes on the Reeves drive.
Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

Pictures when you are ready!!! if you need parts..I can turn you on to
a good source.

Gunner

I will try get a couple pics tonight. Last night we pulled into the yard at
midnight, and my neighbor/helper said it was too late to unload, and wire up
the VFD, so he went to bed. Slacker!
Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Greg O wrote:
Funny
thing was it was listed on Craig's list a week ago for $1000, when I
first contacted the seller. He never got back with me on any details and
relisted it for $600. Not that I would have paid him $1000 for it, but
someone would have!

Yeah, what is it with these Craigslist sellers?

I was looking for a plow, or a plow truck, I found one listed at 1600,
went out and looked at it, the control cables were shot, but supposedly
'on order' so I gave him my number and said, call me when they come in,
and I'll buy, I just want to see it run. I called him a few days later
to confirm, and the next day he drops the price to 1400... (The
control cables were about $50)

He never did get the cables, but I worked out a great deal from him, and
the plow now hangs on my 1 ton, waiting for a snowless winter.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stuart Wheaton wrote:
Greg O wrote:
Funny thing was it was listed on Craig's list a week ago for $1000,
when I first contacted the seller. He never got back with me on any
details and relisted it for $600. Not that I would have paid him $1000
for it, but someone would have!

Yeah, what is it with these Craigslist sellers?

I've noticed the same. I think Craigslist is so easy to use and so cheap
(free) to use that it encourages sloppy sellers. I used to pay $50 for a
3 line ad in the paper, you wanted to milk every caller for what it
was worth. With Craigslist, if you lose a phone number, who cares. Just
relist it a few days later. Of course, SWMBO is still on your case to
move that (fine piece of machinery) out of here so the price goes down.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-30, RoyJ wrote:
The guy wants a $500 deposit. I wonder what his reserve is?

I always lose interest, the instant I see a reserve price.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Greg O" wrote in message

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
if that is the DP with the reeves drive, just use a static inverter and
save the VFD for another application

I have a free VFD already, and no other use for it. I would have to build
a static converter.
Yes on the Reeves drive.
Greg

for your machine, a static inverter requires only one capacitor and one
relay - total cost under $10 - this leaves your VFD free for some other use

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Noble" wrote in message

"Greg O" wrote in message

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
if that is the DP with the reeves drive, just use a static inverter and
save the VFD for another application

I have a free VFD already, and no other use for it. I would have to build
a static converter.
Yes on the Reeves drive.
Greg

for your machine, a static inverter requires only one capacitor and one
relay - total cost under $10 - this leaves your VFD free for some other
use

I feel like I am repeating myself! I have no other use for the VFD, and
don't see anything coming in the future! Saves me the $10, and the time to
produce something that I don't need!
Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-30, Greg O wrote:

"Bill Noble" wrote in message

"Greg O" wrote in message

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
if that is the DP with the reeves drive, just use a static inverter and
save the VFD for another application

I have a free VFD already, and no other use for it. I would have to build
a static converter.
Yes on the Reeves drive.
Greg

for your machine, a static inverter requires only one capacitor and one
relay - total cost under $10 - this leaves your VFD free for some other
use

I feel like I am repeating myself! I have no other use for the VFD, and
don't see anything coming in the future! Saves me the $10, and the time to
produce something that I don't need!

And you also get variable speed, dynamic braking, ability to add a
reversing switch, timed acceleration, etc.

I installed a reversing drum switch on my DP and could not be
happier.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stuart Wheaton" wrote in message
Greg O wrote:
Funny thing was it was listed on Craig's list a week ago for $1000, when
I first contacted the seller. He never got back with me on any details
and relisted it for $600. Not that I would have paid him $1000 for it,
but someone would have!

Yeah, what is it with these Craigslist sellers?

I was looking for a plow, or a plow truck, I found one listed at 1600,
went out and looked at it, the control cables were shot, but supposedly
'on order' so I gave him my number and said, call me when they come in,
and I'll buy, I just want to see it run. I called him a few days later to
confirm, and the next day he drops the price to 1400... (The control
cables were about $50)

He never did get the cables, but I worked out a great deal from him, and
the plow now hangs on my 1 ton, waiting for a snowless winter.

This guy that listed the drill press never listed the make, or model number.
Even when I e-mailed he said he had no idea what it was. I know it was a
Powermatic, but did no know if it was a 1150 or 1200. I was making
arrangements to see it and his employee told me it was a 1200 I was getting
a bit nervous! I bet someone would have paid $1000 for it if he had it
listed properly!
Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 09:18:17 -0600, the infamous Ignoramus2298
scrawled the following:

On 2009-11-30, RoyJ wrote:
The guy wants a $500 deposit. I wonder what his reserve is?

Email for it. It's a hoot in most cases.

I always lose interest, the instant I see a reserve price.

Especially when the reserve is 4x the worth of the item.
I also love Buy-It-Nows with 6x retail prices.

Still waiting for my 64GB thumb drive @ $23.99...

--
Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Still waiting for my 64GB thumb drive @ $23.99...

You bid on that?

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 17:31:37 -0500, the infamous Wes
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Still waiting for my 64GB thumb drive @ $23.99...

You bid on that?

Yeah, 'twas a BIN. The guy/gal had sold 358 before me and had a 100%
positive feedback, so it looked clean enough. It has only been ten
days, and from Shanghai, that's not long enough. I'll give it another
week before I start to worry. I'm still waiting for my free upgrade
to Win7, too, and after 10 days, it still says "Fulfilling" on the
status page of the website. sigh

--
Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
bw bw is offline

Larry Jaques wrote:

Still waiting for my 64GB thumb drive @ $23.99...

You bid on that?

Yeah, 'twas a BIN. The guy/gal had sold 358 before me and had a 100%
positive feedback, so it looked clean enough. It has only been ten
days, and from Shanghai, that's not long enough. I'll give it another
week before I start to worry. I'm still waiting for my free upgrade
to Win7, too, and after 10 days, it still says "Fulfilling" on the
status page of the website. sigh

I've received similar items in about 15 to 17 days. Both Hong Kong and
Shanghai.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 09:17:27 -0600, "bw" wrote:

.. .

Larry Jaques wrote:

Still waiting for my 64GB thumb drive @ $23.99...

You bid on that?

Yeah, 'twas a BIN. The guy/gal had sold 358 before me and had a 100%
positive feedback, so it looked clean enough. It has only been ten
days, and from Shanghai, that's not long enough. I'll give it another
week before I start to worry. I'm still waiting for my free upgrade
to Win7, too, and after 10 days, it still says "Fulfilling" on the
status page of the website. sigh

I've received similar items in about 15 to 17 days. Both Hong Kong and
Shanghai.

It would be interesting to know what they really are - maybe 2G or 4G
with the hacked reported capacity set to 64G... as so many are on e*ay
I'm not curious enough to waste^H^H^H^H risk the price of a nice lunch
to find out..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Still waiting for my 64GB thumb drive @ $23.99...

You bid on that?

Yeah, 'twas a BIN. The guy/gal had sold 358 before me and had a 100%
positive feedback, so it looked clean enough. It has only been ten
days, and from Shanghai, that's not long enough. I'll give it another
week before I start to worry. I'm still waiting for my free upgrade
to Win7, too, and after 10 days, it still says "Fulfilling" on the
status page of the website. sigh

If you ever get that 64GB thumb drive, make sure you can copy 64GB of data on and back
off.

I've seen Win7, yuck!