Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus10200 Ignoramus10200 is offline

Default Drill press

On 2009-11-30, Greg O wrote:
Well, I bought one. I found a Powermatic Model 1200 on Craig's list. 3 phase
1 HP motor, in good shape. It appears to have been built in 1971 by the
Powermatic 1971 Anniversary stickers on it.

I have the same sort of drill press, made in 1974.

It came with a hefty vice, a couple drill chucks, a funky T-slot
clamp do-hicky. Only problem was the crank for the table height
adjustment took a hit at some point so the the shaft is bent, and
the speed control knobs are just bolts, (minor problem, are parts
available??)

You can buy machine handles from McMaster, or round knobs.

Only one hole drilled into the table, no arc of shame!
Paid $600 and a 8 hour round trip drive to pick it up. I think I did
ok.

Yep. Great tool for the price. I paid $275 for mine, but it came
without a chuck (but with the speed adjusting handles)

Another lot from the same auction, that I paid $10 for, has a bunch of
dirty grease guns, and something else that I sold for $262.

You guys living in the manufacturing waste lands where tools can
be bought for scrap price will probably think I paid too much, but I
have been looking on and off for a heavy drill press for a couple
years and this was the best deal I could find!

I think that you did OK.

Funny thing was it was listed on Craig's list a week ago for $1000,
when I first contacted the seller. He never got back with me on any
details and relisted it for $600. Not that I would have paid him
$1000 for it, but someone would have! Now I need to run a wire for
a 240 volt outlet, and wire up my VFD. Greg

Congrats. You will be very happy.

I set up mine for flood coolant and I am happy with the result, no
more overheated ruined drills. I lessen the pressure on the quill to break
long stringy chips into pieces, so that they do not throw coolant
around.