Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Another OT barbecue question

Sometimes, my barbecue flames will come on at low, even if I turn the
pointer to high. If I shut the valves and close the tank, and then open up
the tank, and open the valves and light, it will come on and go up to high.
It's like the OPD inside is resetting or something. Anyone have this
experience? What's wrong, anything, or do I just go through the motions
again when it does this?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
Sometimes, my barbecue flames will come on at low, even if I turn the
pointer to high. If I shut the valves and close the tank, and then open up
the tank, and open the valves and light, it will come on and go up to high.
It's like the OPD inside is resetting or something. Anyone have this
experience? What's wrong, anything, or do I just go through the motions
again when it does this?

Steve

Yep, that is the OPD acting up.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
Sometimes, my barbecue flames will come on at low, even if I turn the
pointer to high. If I shut the valves and close the tank, and then open
up
the tank, and open the valves and light, it will come on and go up to
high.
It's like the OPD inside is resetting or something. Anyone have this
experience? What's wrong, anything, or do I just go through the motions
again when it does this?

Steve

Yep, that is the OPD acting up.

--
Steve W.

Is it defective, or just in a kinky position from handling? Anything that I
should have the tank exchanged out about, or just take the extra 30 seconds?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
"Steve W." wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
Sometimes, my barbecue flames will come on at low, even if I turn the
pointer to high. If I shut the valves and close the tank, and then open
up
the tank, and open the valves and light, it will come on and go up to
high.
It's like the OPD inside is resetting or something. Anyone have this
experience? What's wrong, anything, or do I just go through the motions
again when it does this?

Steve

Yep, that is the OPD acting up.

--
Steve W.

Is it defective, or just in a kinky position from handling? Anything that I
should have the tank exchanged out about, or just take the extra 30 seconds?

Steve

Probably just from handling. They can be a real PIA some times. I have
had some of them trip and block the flow when you first open the valve
due to the rapid gas flow when it fills the lines. Have also seen them
act up if the tank wasn't perfectly level.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 19:34:15 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

Sometimes, my barbecue flames will come on at low, even if I turn the
pointer to high. If I shut the valves and close the tank, and then open up
the tank, and open the valves and light, it will come on and go up to high.
It's like the OPD inside is resetting or something. Anyone have this
experience? What's wrong, anything, or do I just go through the motions
again when it does this?

You just answered your own question. And stated the solution too!

When you have the burner valves on and crank the tank valve open
fast, the surge of high-pressure gas from the tank trips the excess
flow safety valve in the LP tank outlet neck, and you only get a
trickle of gas out the bypass pinhole.

When you close the burner valves and leave the tank valve open, that
little trickle of gas through the bypass pinhole allows the pressures
to equalize, and the excess flow safety valve reaches equilibrium on
both sides and a spring pops it open again, all automatically.

Then you can BBQ normally - but if the BBQ gas sysem breaks or the
tank hose pops (Big Leak) the safety will trigger again and catch it.

If you have a roofing burner, you need to open the blast valve slow.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Sometimes, my barbecue flames will come on at low, even if I turn the
pointer to high. If I shut the valves and close the tank, and then open up
the tank, and open the valves and light, it will come on and go up to high.
It's like the OPD inside is resetting or something. Anyone have this
experience? What's wrong, anything, or do I just go through the motions
again when it does this?

Steve

Also a regulator problem.

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Ah! Thanks! Thats how those *******s work. Ive never bothered to look
it up before.

Thanks!

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote in message

Then you can BBQ normally - but if the BBQ gas sysem breaks or the
tank hose pops (Big Leak) the safety will trigger again and catch it.

"Normal" BBQ requires wood on fire and making smoke to flavor the meat.

Gas grilling is not much different than using the broiler in a kitchen
range.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" fired this volley in news:ame9t6-6d52.ln1
@news.infowest.com:

Sometimes, my barbecue flames will come on at low, even if I turn the
pointer to high.

Grill? A barbecue burns wood.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

:

Sometimes, my barbecue flames will come on at low, even if I turn the
pointer to high.

Grill? A barbecue burns wood.

LLoyd

Yankee parlance. We got in trouble in Michigan when we discovered
that in local usage, "barbeque" means grill some weiners and
pre-smashed hamburgers. Wife corrected host (corporate bigwig) on
proper usage, heard about from bigwig several times. I started having
barbeques we'd recognize as a means of getting something good to eat
and a form of diplomacy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I was at a barbecue at the park, for independance day. One
of the fellows had only tiny flames at his grill, and we had
no clue what happened. Sounds like the OPD got jostled into
closed position. When are we going to fight for independance
from excess government regulation from Washingmachine DC?
The Redcoats and King George of England never tried to
regulate our propane tanks like that.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Sometimes, my barbecue flames will come on at low, even if I turn the
pointer to high. If I shut the valves and close the tank, and then open
up
the tank, and open the valves and light, it will come on and go up to
high.
It's like the OPD inside is resetting or something. Anyone have this
experience? What's wrong, anything, or do I just go through the motions
again when it does this?

You just answered your own question. And stated the solution too!

Sometimes I scare myself.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message
Cherry makes a really nice smoke ... and some very good pork shoulders .
Dry rub (my own) then smoke it low and slow . Done when you can twist

gently
and the leg bone comes out in your hand .

--
Snag
Not that I've ever

I have a friend that has a kick ass smoker. I visited last month and he
smoked up a bunch of stuff for a big party.

His technique was to smoke it for several hours and then transfer the meat
into the oven and bake it the rest of the way done.

I wasn't paying attention to all of the details, but I think the oven part
was from about 1:00 A.M. till 10:00 A.M. and if I remember correctly he
wrapped it in foil really tight.

Both the pork and the beef were wonderful melt in your mouth YUMM.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 20:09:34 -0600, "Snag"
wrote:

Cherry makes a really nice smoke ... and some very good pork shoulders .
Dry rub (my own) then smoke it low and slow . Done when you can twist gently
and the leg bone comes out in your hand .

I remember that cherry leaves release cyanide when eaten. Don't know
about the wood, or what happens when you smoke them - (er, make that
"when you use them to smoke meat").

Joe